The Virgin Suicides

I love both the book and the movie. And the soundtrack as well, it's by Air, so beautiful and mystic. :luv:

Everyone who hasn't read the book yet, must!! It's so haunting. Coppola does a pretty good job with the movie though, I have to admit, I think she was the best director for the job, certainly.

I've just finished watching and reading the book, I was surprised how close the movie followed the book (minus the last bit ofc). As @sabine has said, it's very haunting and has this eerie quality (reminds me a bit of Picnic at Hanging Rock). And Kirsten Dunst is so beautiful :luv:

Last edited by a moderator:
this movie was so good
and intriguing I couldn't take my eyes off the screen I was like oh my word

I loved the movie from the beginning on and it really is a good adaptation of the book!

Also I used to use K.Dunst as "thinspo" when I was younger and saw the movie for the first time, because she seemed so pretty/free/cool/slim, you get the idea... :oops:

I've only watched the movie. I love the movie and love Kirstin Dunst in it. But am I missing something? Do we know why the girls commit suicide? Was it only mentioned in the book or is that not mentioned at all?

To add to my previous comment. After I finished reading the book I felt the most desolate sadness for the rest of the week and constantly thought of it for months after. I love books that really move me and this was certainly one. Lux is probably my favourite character from any book I've ever read, the way she's developed throughout the story, it's so simple and honest and truthful and gutwrenching.

Somewhat relevant, I hope Sofia uses similar influences in her adaption of The Little Mermaid, I believe she's sticking to the HCA version, not stupid Disney. Yay for seafoam suicide endings.

Love this film! I also loved the book, I find Eugenides' writing style interesting - dreamy but matter of fact, and manages to talk about suicide in a light manner without trivialising. It's quite funny as well.

Omg, yes! Kirsten Dunst has never looked better than in this movie. She was stunning!!
Also, the soundtrack is phenomenal. I can't hear Strange Magic by ELO without thinking of this film and I love the vibraphone version of Playground Love by Air so much that it's been my alarm clock for years and I'm still in love with it.

Omg, yes! Kirsten Dunst has never looked better than in this movie. She was stunning!!
Also, the soundtrack is phenomenal. I can't hear Strange Magic by ELO without thinking of this film and I love the vibraphone version of Playground Love by Air so much that it's been my alarm clock for years and I'm still in love with it.
Holy shit. Girl, it has been two years since the last post was made and you brought nothing substantial to the conversation. Get used to this site before you start commenting on every single thing without looking at the previous conversations or dates. You've done this multiple times already, it's time to read everything you can about newbies. Good hell.

But yeah, brilliant movie nonetheless.

Lol. Oh shite :shame: got too excited (a few times, I guess) -_- That's embarrassing. I'll check the dates.