The Virgin Suicides

Apple

Rising Star
Jan 16, 2012
USA
One of my favorite movies. I am very drawn to the character of Cecilia because of her shyness. She seems lost in daydreams and I hate how she is gone so quickly in the book/movie. I also like Lux, the sister the movie focuses on most. I know it is fiction, but I am eternally fascinated with them and want to know their secrets. I wish I had a big group of sisters that knew everything about me.

the-virgin-suicides-the-virgin-suicides-189393_1020_576.jpeg

Cecilia
virgin_de1.jpg

Lux
the_virgin_suicides_profilelarge.jpg

2591179454_2d46ca31a6.jpg

This is one of my favorite movies also, and I keep meaning to read the book. How did the two compare?

I adore this film, I could watch it over and over again. I still have to book around here somewhere I think its due for a re-read :oops:

This is one of my favorite movies also, and I keep meaning to read the book. How did the two compare?

Because I have the attention span of a 6 year old with ADD I never finished reading it. But from the first couple chapters the big differences were that in the movie the remaining 4 sisters die in the same night and in the book they commit suicide on by one.

I will finish it one day. If I can find it. :nervous:

Lux (Kirsten Dunst) was absolutely gorgeous and thin. Seeing how she carries herself in the film is really fun and mostly inspiring. Such a flirty character!

I think in the movie they show her losing her virginity on a football field, whereas in the book it's unclear if she does.

Because I have the attention span of a 6 year old with ADD I never finished reading it. But from the first couple chapters the big differences were that in the movie the remaining 4 sisters die in the same night and in the book they commit suicide on by one.

The movie is visually stunning, but the book is just subtle, beautiful, and contemplative. It's a very open and wondering story...
One of my very favorites. Melancholic throughout many parts.

I embody a lot of the peculiar, dreamy, but sexually charged and awakened persona of Lux and was happy to find her in the novel...
All the sisters are beautifully painted, actually.

I never read the book. I think the movie is just a beautiful piece of film. Every scene has wonderful color and the characters are presented so well. I honestly need to watch the film again though. For me the movie was like a poem that gave me certain feelings and emotions but that I never dissected enough to find all the meanings. There's a general theme but I don't really know what I think of the ending yet.

I love this movie! :grin: It's so unique and different compared to other movies. I also loved Josh Hartnett in it. :luv:

I love Kirsten Dunst, I find her so gorgeous. And this movie is one of my favourites :luv:

I wouldn't want the movie to explain more, as it likely would have ruined it, but I still want to know!!

I've read the book... I didn't love it... but I want to watch the movie.
I like the style of Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette so I want to give Sophie Coppola's first film (I think it's the first she's directed...?) a try.

I am in love with Kirsten Dunst as Lux. She is so captivating. So is Cecilia, who started the change in the Lisbon household. Seeing that movie makes me hate their mother with a passion, even if she is trying to protect her girls, it's painful to see how she does it. I love that it is set in the 1970s too. It is gorgeous and I love all the natural beauty each of the sisters have. ESPECIALLY Lux.

I like the style of Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette so I want to give Sophie Coppola's first film (I think it's the first she's directed...?) a try.

you should give it a try :)

i think lost in translation was sophia coppola's first movie :)

Can I ask what you did not like about the book?
The movie is amazing but I did not know it was based on a book and I look forward to reading it, maybe share some insight? I love hearing reviews. ;)

The movie is pretty captivating in my opinion, the silences, the pauses, the situations, I really enjoyed it and have seen it about 10 times. Kirsten was great in it and she was very young right?

I am in love with Kirsten Dunst as Lux. She is so captivating. So is Cecilia, who started the change in the Lisbon household. Seeing that movie makes me hate their mother with a passion, even if she is trying to protect her girls, it's painful to see how she does it. I love that it is set in the 1970s too. It is gorgeous and I love all the natural beauty each of the sisters have. ESPECIALLY Lux.

Agree with all of this.

Cecilia will always be my favorite sister. Her role as the lost one, her journal entries and she is the one who started it all. :luv::luv:

Can I ask what you did not like about the book?
The movie is amazing but I did not know it was based on a book and I look forward to reading it, maybe share some insight? I love hearing reviews. ;)

The movie is pretty captivating in my opinion, the silences, the pauses, the situations, I really enjoyed it and have seen it about 10 times. Kirsten was great in it and she was very young right?
I don't know... I didn't actually dislike the book it was more that I expected a little more from it. I found the third party narrative intriguing but the metaphors and symbols just didn't reach out to me and the book just got a bit dull...
Anyway, it's been a while since I read it, so I can't be more detailed :oops: but I think you should try it anyway.

(Please don't take this to be rude?)

In the book, Cecelia commits suicide first and then all four remaining sisters kill themselves on the same night. So they stuck to the book there.

(Please don't take this to be rude?)

In the book, Cecelia commits suicide first and then all four remaining sisters kill themselves on the same night. So they stuck to the book there.

I ended up reading it a while back.

And Mary is actually unsuccessful in her suicide attempt so while her remaining three sisters die on the same night (Lux, Bonnie, Therese), Mary lives for about two weeks (?) longer and then successfully commits suicide. It makes sense that for the movie the remaining four all died in one night, though.

I watched this movie on Netflix one day randomly and really enjoyed it, even though it is of course sad. I had no idea it was based on a book! I may have to read that.

I haven't read the book. I really liked the movie though. I saw it when I was younger and full of teen angst so it really struck a chord with me. I thought Kirsten Dunst was great in it...I actually am not a huge fan of her recent work. I prefer the movies she did when she was younger, such as Crazy Beautiful.

I am also a fan of Sophia Coppola, her movies are great. I am dying to see her latest film, the Bling Ring. It was at the cinemas recently in Australia but literally for 2 weeks and I missed it!! Waiting for an illegal download to come out haha.