The Red Scare Podcast

VanityF

Rookie
Dec 9, 2014
UK
There seems to be no discussion of The Red Scare podcast on SG - but I think that many members here will enjoy it. Hosted by two US/Russian women in their late 20s, who have a very characteristically Russian body-aesthetic and discipline preferences (if I may, as a Russian, make such claims). On top of that a series of hot takes on everything ranging from recent news, media, art events, films and popular culture. Usually with cutting humour, a refreshing disregard for political correctness (which stops well short of bigotry, racism etc), and knowledge of some key contemporary thinkers and texts. Politically very left. Sass level SG compatible.

Both hosts - Dasha and Anna - are quite outspoken about wanting to be skinny, the sacrifices required, and the taboos put on the topic in contemporary media. It is a refreshing change from the constant, blind body-positivity choir. While it is not by any means at the centre of their discussions (the podcast is more about current affairs), this attitude comes through at times, and I find it very comforting. I listen to the Red Scare more for the hilarious leftist takes on US politics and popular culture, but I love it when they are overt about actually having to make some sacrifices for looking a particular way. Below some pictures of the hosts, and here's the link to the podcast: https://redscarepodcast.libsyn.com/

Anna:

Dasha:

• Useful
Reactions: 6 users
Checking them out. First impression was kinda ‘okay this looks kinda trashy and political’ but I’m listening and they’re semi-bearable? ish? Neither give off the major Russian-princess stereotype vibes I have implanted in my head thanks to past Avant Camps and 2007 runway shows but I’ll get past that.

Do you have any recs for episodes? I don’t really know/care much about American politics. I’m trying to find a pro skinny one lol

Okay. They just started fat shaming ‘chubby girls’... I’m listening :sneaky:

• Funny
Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any recs for episodes? I don’t really know/care much about American politics. I’m trying to find a pro skinny one lol

Hmm yes, as I said the podcast is basically about politics, so I am afraid they don't have any specific pro-skinny episodes, it's more like a general attitude. There are sort of several-minute-long bits on the topic here and there, but it's never the subject of an entire episode. In a recent episode (I can't remember which one) they spoke briefly about the fact that obesity is a public health issue that is costing millions of dollars and many lives. While the way out of the epidemic is healthy eating and exercise, it is often taboo for medical professionals to even say that because they will be accused of fat-shaming.

I guess it's just an attitude that comes up in many of the views they express as well as the personal details they share about their own lives. I wanted to share it because I've always found that there is a type of 'progressively leftist young woman' that usually renounces the skinny aesthetic, so it was refreshing to find some diversity in that department. I will try to remember any particularly sassy bits I liked though and will post them!

And yeah they are definitely not the Russian princess types, which I love :)

The idea of a SG friendly podcast is a dream. I think in the long run if run properly it could actually help counter a lot of the negative stigma SG lifestyle gets. Would it be crazy to say I would love to start one if anyone in the Brooklyn/Manhattan area is game?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The idea of a SG friendly podcast is a dream. I think in the long run if run properly it could actually help counter a lot of the negative stigma SG lifestyle gets. Would it be crazy to say I would love to start one if anyone in the Brooklyn/Manhattan area is game?

Do it! Do it! And then have us as guests :woot:

Reactions: 1 users

I would love it if there was a n SG friendly pod! I am such a sucker for podcasts and spend an obscene amount of time listening to them. There are certain things worth considering though - like for instance the increased visibility associated with podcasting. The Red Scare girls get a lot of hate for some of their opinions, so I can only imagine if the full extent of SG standards was unleashed in plain sight. On the other hand, maybe that's what is needed :twisted:

But you are also right that over time and if done well it could change opinions. If I were in the area and not very busy with other things I would be in!

Reactions: 1 users
Okay I’m binge listening (beats binge eating, at least) and I’m kinda into it. Ig what you mean with the *subtle pro skinny undertones* and I do recall them wishing to reincarnate the waif / heroin chic trends of the past. Um, duh.

Checked Dasha out on twitter (the prettier and more likeable, albeit chubbier, one) and she’s kinda a self proclaimed anorexic... I can’t tell if it’s a joke lol. Exhibit A as to why it isn’t to be taken seriously would be her legs, followed up by Exhibit B: her food account— which really hits that balance of cheesy, sloppy Russian in NYC junk food with diet coke and black coffee aesthetics. I’m kinda digging the podcast though tbh.

Also, @saturation, whilst I’m here, care to elaborate on the ‘eyeroll’ react? Genuine question. The only vaguely eyeroll comments in my initial post were the ‘idk/idc about American politics’ which is true because I don’t; or perhaps the assumption that all Russians are skinny, blonde and belong to aristocracy? which was a joke, if that wasn’t as incredibly obvious as I presumed it was. Like I’m genuinely curious.

Sorry @stargirl - I didn't get it was a joke and genuinely mistook it then. I blame my around-the-clock shift at the job I hate and just had gotten out of which very likely reflected on that reaction as I already was generally annoyed.

• Funny
Do it! Do it! And then have us as guests :woot:
I would love it if there was a n SG friendly pod! I am such a sucker for podcasts and spend an obscene amount of time listening to them. There are certain things worth considering though - like for instance the increased visibility associated with podcasting. The Red Scare girls get a lot of hate for some of their opinions, so I can only imagine if the full extent of SG standards was unleashed in plain sight. On the other hand, maybe that's what is needed :twisted:

But you are also right that over time and if done well it could change opinions. If I were in the area and not very busy with other things I would be in!

Honestly after giving it some thought I do want to bring the idea to life. I think as long as I avoid “fat shaming” and focus on the skinny girl lifestyle and the good health that comes with it, it does stand a chance. I’m going to brainstorm a direction to market it in before I start anything. But thank you for the encouragement! :luvluv:

• Love
Honestly after giving it some thought I do want to bring the idea to life. I think as long as I avoid “fat shaming” and focus on the skinny girl lifestyle and the good health that comes with it, it does stand a chance. I’m going to brainstorm a direction to market it in before I start anything. But thank you for the encouragement! :luvluv:

Great! I'm nowhere near where you are, but I do have some free time, so if you need help researching something feel free to ask. Also, I watch a lot of podcasts, albeit more philosophical/sciency ones...

Okay I’m binge listening (beats binge eating, at least) and I’m kinda into it.

Ha that is exactly how I started out as well. I think the first episode I listened to was a weird outlier one where they both drank too much rose, and I was like what the actual f am I listening to. But then I got reeeally into it :D

Checked Dasha out on twitter (the prettier and more likeable, albeit chubbier, one) and she’s kinda a self proclaimed anorexic... I can’t tell if it’s a joke lol.

Yeah I think you are right about the slight ana vibes there, and I don't think it is entirely a joke. Sometimes seems like part of Dasha's 'waif-like' self-proclaimed identity. As far as instagram trends are concerned, it kind of goes with the whole girly slightly infantilised dress style.

What's more interesting though is Anna's transformation over the past several years - she has gone from chubby to normal to quite skinny recently and looks so much better. She talks about it way less, but seems to actually do something, which I respect. I guess it's the SG way. You can see the difference even in the past 6 months on her Instagram. And I actually really like her style, hair etc - my personal preference for weird androgyny. She needs Dasha to reign in her constant desire to stir shit though, some of the stuff she says makes me 😶

Honestly after giving it some thought I do want to bring the idea to life. I think as long as I avoid “fat shaming” and focus on the skinny girl lifestyle and the good health that comes with it, it does stand a chance.
Great! I'm nowhere near where you are, but I do have some free time, so if you need help researching something feel free to ask.

Fantastic! I am also happy to discuss and contribute as much as I can from distance :)

• Agree
Dasha has lost a lot of weight, as far as I know she's been doing light cardio and consuming less calories but I'm sure her post-breakup depression has aided it. Her legs look great here, very lean. However, I do think she's shorter than she says she is. I love her skinny ankles :grin:

IMG_8776.jpg

What's more interesting though is Anna's transformation over the past several years - she has gone from chubby to normal to quite skinny recently and looks so much better. She talks about it way less, but seems to actually do something, which I respect. I guess it's the SG way. You can see the difference even in the past 6 months on her Instagram. And I actually really like her style, hair etc - my personal preference for weird androgyny. She needs Dasha to reign in her constant desire to stir shit though, some of the stuff she says makes me 😶

I am disappointed. Admittedly I don't follow this podcast closely enough to know if they were ever committed to being skinny in the first place. But no commitment seems to have lasted with Anna, whose aesthetic I appreciated more of the two:

October 2019
aj2DNIX.jpg

May 2020
JD6Zgzq.jpg

Maybe it's just quarantine weight -- but then why post a pic like this? Sigh 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I love Red Scare so much, this (semi) recent quote on the episode 'Ok Groomer' kind of reminded me of SGF:
"For me a big thing is also [tit] size relative to circumference of arm, 'cause I'm a big skinny arm fan. The bigger your tits are the bigger the arms can be, I'm speaking subjectively - for me, what I find to be attractive. But you know, if you have small naturals like I do, thats why I have to maintain a kind of waif-ish physique so that my tits look hot on my skinny body"

• Love
Ok I've been listening and the two only things I'm getting are (1) they've read a grand total of three authors who they keep referencing and it's pretty revealing, and (2) Anna is really (really, really, really) thirsty for approval which is not a good look for anyone, much less a 30-something year old.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
I've started listening to the podcast recently & I absolutely love their vibe. It's so refreshing to see leftist takes that aren't necessarily PC all the time. Dasha's fashion sense & politics are a bit more my style, but they're both great.

I am disappointed. Admittedly I don't follow this podcast closely enough to know if they were ever committed to being skinny in the first place. But no commitment seems to have lasted with Anna, whose aesthetic I appreciated more of the two:

October 2019
aj2DNIX.jpg

May 2020
JD6Zgzq.jpg

Maybe it's just quarantine weight -- but then why post a pic like this? Sigh 😔

Some people on the subreddit have recently been speculating that she might be pregnant now based on random little things she's been saying throughout recent episodes. It would explain things somewhat, even if the weight gain was a bit before, since skinnies are often told by doctors to gain a little to increase fertility. It could also be that the unintentional quarantine weight finally helped her to conceive? I don't want to assume, though, especially since I vaguely remember Anna mentioning in one episode that she sees it as bad luck to announce a pregnancy before the 2nd trimester.

• Agree
Can anyone who has been keeping up with this podcast help me understand why Twitter suspended the podcast account? (Anna deleted her own account, she wasn't banned.) Obviously Trump and some other MAGA people were banned for inciting violence, but it's not like every vocal anti-liberal is being banned... did they do something?

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 8.29.01 PM.png

Edit: Looks like Anna is also shadowbanned on IG?

Last edited:
Can anyone who has been keeping up with this podcast help me understand why Twitter suspended the podcast account? (Anna deleted her own account, she wasn't banned.) Obviously Trump and some other MAGA people were banned for inciting violence, but it's not like every vocal anti-liberal is being banned... did they do something?

View attachment 97935

Ugh ew. Dasha Nekrasova modeled with a merch shirt she made with the word ISIS on the front. They were banned in December originally. I don't know why they thought they would get away with promoting that.

article here.

Edit: they also disgustingly made fun of the #metoo movement, and BLM.

• Useful
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

View attachment 97935

Ok, love that someone brought this up because it’s honestly such a stupid situation. Basically, the podcast’s account got suspended due to inactivity (twitter’s been cracking down in general post-Trump ban). They don’t even run the account — I believe it was made by an ex-host/producer (?) from the early days.

Anna actually deactivated, presumably in a bid to look like she was being “censored” due to her ~controversial~ views. The two have gotten increasingly pathetic recently, echoing right wing talking points that aren’t even based in reality (Anna tweeted something about Ilhan Omar calling for violence against against MAGA people, which was a fabrication).

Meanwhile, Dasha has been slyly lying about her weight on Twitter (she has a side account where she posts stuff she eats, including cake pops ???), claiming to be 106 and 5’7 at one point (paging ee). She also very clearly shopped her legs in the pic she posted wearing the ISIS shirt. Sad shit.

Anna seems to be properly skinny, but Dasha is such a sad hanger-on obsessed with courting the pro-ana crowd despite being like 30.

Anyway, they’re making a big thing out of Twitter “censorship” and openly said on their podcast that they think the people storming the capitol were false flag actors. Even their own subreddit makes fun of them now. To quote their beloved Donald Trump, “Sad!”

edit: I do generally think that banning conservatives from twitter is stupid and counter-productive, since it feeds into the censorship narrative that they’ve been pushing.

• Useful
  • Funny
Reactions: 5 users