The Protein World Vs Fat feminists debate

DreamerFighter

Worker Bee
Jun 10, 2013
Melbourne
So apparently Protein world is some protein powder company in the UK, and recently they posted adverts everywhere that looked like this:
image.jpg

This apparently outraged a lot of women because everyone is beautiful and every body should be able to go to the beach and la la la
A bunch of signs were graffitied to read more feminist friendly slogans and they even started a petition to have the posters taken down

I think most businesses would respond alà Victoria's Secret with the "perfect body" campaign fiasco - which was promptly changed to "a body for every body" because fatties didn't like the implication of a model body being 'perfect'

Protein World took a different angle and defended their anti-fat stance with some great tweets and pics like this:
image.jpg

Lololololololol

But what do you think? At first look I thought this was a disastrous business strategy, but on second thoughts... They are a business that capitalises on people wanting to be skinny so fat shaming is almost a good thing for them. But they are possibly offended a huge number of potential customers
Interesting and vibrant angle for advertising.
I do at least like that they didn't back down!!!

Reactions: 1 user
So apparently Protein world is some protein powder company in the UK, and recently they posted adverts everywhere that looked like this:
View attachment 6500
This apparently outraged a lot of women because everyone is beautiful and every body should be able to go to the beach and la la la
A bunch of signs were graffitied to read more feminist friendly slogans and they even started a petition to have the posters taken down

I think most businesses would respond alà Victoria's Secret with the "perfect body" campaign fiasco - which was promptly changed to "a body for every body" because fatties didn't like the implication of a model body being 'perfect'

Protein World took a different angle and defended their anti-fat stance with some great tweets and pics like this:View attachment 6501

Lololololololol

But what do you think? At first look I thought this was a disastrous business strategy, but on second thoughts... They are a business that capitalises on people wanting to be skinny so fat shaming is almost a good thing for them. But they are possibly offended a huge number of potential customers

Respect. The marketing team has balls.:bow:

Reactions: 1 users
Ha! I just read in the papers today that the advert has gotten a ton of complaints. Anyone that has used the underground in London would have seen this.

Oh my :lol: :highfive: finally someone has the courage to do this and fight back publicly... I hope it will get even more recognition

I actually am kind of irritated with the association: feminist = fat. I consider myself a feminist, and I hope that anyone I would call even a passing acquaintance does as well. You can be a feminist AND want to look nice. This ad perpetuates the toxic stereotype that those two things are mutually exclusive, which is exactly why all these dumb celebrities are like "nooo I"m not a feminist, I love men lol!". Ugh.

Reactions: 4 users
It's annoying seeing backlash messages, such as "stop encouraging people to starve themselves"... Um, firstly, where does it say that they're promoting starvation and secondly, why are there so many ignorant people who automatically conclude that anybody who doesn't have fat rolls is starving themselves?
Some of the company's responses are great though! Here's another one:
enhanced-4186-1429886653-26.png

Reactions: 3 users
I actually am kind of irritated with the association: feminist = fat. I consider myself a feminist, and I hope that anyone I would call even a passing acquaintance does as well. You can be a feminist AND want to look nice. This ad perpetuates the toxic stereotype that those two things are mutually exclusive, which is exactly why all these dumb celebrities are like "nooo I"m not a feminist, I love men lol!". Ugh.
yeah, it is a totally unnecessary add-on to the whole campaign... I still love most of their responses and the core idea though, but it can easily backfire esp if they keep pushing the feminist-thing (which I hope they won't...)

This could be either really good for the brand or really bad...I'll be interested to see how this plays out - kudos to them, it's gutsy.

Sorry but I really don't like associating feminism with this. I really really am annoyed when people on the internet, specifically SG, tear down feminism or try to make it a mockery. I'm pretty sure all of us here are women--if we're not feminists, we're being stupid. Seriously.

Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 6500

Protein World took a different angle and defended their anti-fat stance with some great tweets and pics like this:View attachment 6501

Lololololololol

Could be smart from a business prospective, not just ballsy. Bottom line is profit. If they're small company, they don't have much to lose + viral marketing. If they're big, well...

Agree!!

While I agree that it's pathetic and somewhat alarming that any attempt at showing a fit/slim body as something desirable is greeted as a declaration on war by the increasing numbers of fatty-sympathizing hordes, I honestly find Protein World's "counter attack" billboard crass and distasteful. I mean, it's one thing to say comments like that in the privacy of a chat and banter with your friends, and quite another to think that is a great idea to attempt fighting preconception and general ignorance by flinging back a juvenile reply equally loaded with both.

I don't think this is a smart idea at all, either.... If anything, they will only manage to alienate potential clients, since it doesn't take a genius to realize that offending people with direct attacks is quite possibly the worst way of persuading them into doing anything. Additionally, I would personally not back up a company that behaves like this.

As they said themselves #doesnthelpanyone

Protein World used imagery that succinctly sums up the fatty sympathiser. Those that lambast media for using perfectly healthy models on their promotional campaigns for being 'unrealistic' and 'anorexic'....are being unrealistic themselves. So its perfectly alright to label a company that sells health products as anti-feminist-bros-pushing-unhealthy-standards-for-their-bottom-line but everyones butthurt when they push back using the same logic as their naysayers? It was a woman posing quiet confidently in a bikini and apparently now, thats being labelled questionable intent coming from a health business. These vocal whiners seem to use feminism as their calling card...whilst completely butchering its intentions. Does anyone realise that just being part of a world where public ad campaigns can use bikini clad women without government censure is a privilege? It is actually empowering to be able to express such freedom about the female form. These people are basically saying that fit people should just cover up and censor themselves because they are an affront to their self esteem. Boo hoo.

Reactions: 3 users
CDnWrkiWIAAzFFH.png

I guess Protein World is winning :lol:
The marketing director got a bonus