8. Emma Watson
7. Lena Gercke
6. Alexandra Joner
5. Camilla Belle
4. Emilia Clarke
3. Chloë Grace Moretz
2. Nana
1. Marion Cotillard

Strong Korean domination. Ugh @ Kate Upton and J. Law. Knew to expect them but still, meh. Confused about Chloe Grace Moretz being so high too. Happy that Marion is #1, Ariana Grande isn't on the list, and Lily Collins is included. Body regardless, her face was so captivating in The Mortal Instruments. Surprised that Adriana Lima isn't there and that they included Elsa Hosk and Kristina Romanova, not because they aren't beautiful (they totally are), but because they're pretty unknown. Would've loved to see Jourdan Dunn on the list too, and I don't think that's a stretch because 1. she's drop dead gorgeous, and 2. she's more famous than the other 2.

Thoughts?

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is last and Chloe Grace Moretz is #3?

No Doutzen, Adriana or Karlie and somehow Kate Upton is there?

And Selena Gomez is somehow higher than Amanda Seyfried, Natalie Portman, Cintia Dicker, Elsa Hosk, etc?

112255.gif

Although the majority of the list does include very gorgeous girls.

I'm perhaps biased because I'm Asian, but I only find perhaps half of the Asians/Koreans natrually attractive. Sure the rest are pretty, but I can see through the makeup and plastic surgery, and even disregarding this fact they just seem so 'ordinary'. Pretty but not beautiful. I won't disagree there are some drop dead gorgeous girls though (amongst my friends as well) and some have 'lost' it with weight gain as weight distributes to the face.

Re: J Lawrence, as much as I dislike her, I do think she's attractive... especially if she'd just lose the weight to slim her face. :(

I'm perhaps biased because I'm Asian, but I only find perhaps half of the Asians/Koreans natrually attractive. Sure the rest are pretty, but I can see through the makeup and plastic surgery, and even disregarding this fact they just seem so 'ordinary'. Pretty but not beautiful. I won't disagree there are some drop dead gorgeous girls though (amongst my friends as well) and some have 'lost' it with weight gain as weight distributes to the face.

Re: J Lawrence, as much as I dislike her, I do think she's attractive... especially if she'd just lose the weight to slim her face. :(

I agree.
I don't really like the list because it's not multicultural enough. It's mostly white and asian women, half of the white ones are there because they have blue eyes and blonde hair; half of the asian ones are there probably because the guy who made the list think all asians are hot; there is only ONE black girl and a bunch of mixed race girls with white features, and I the only indian girl is Freida Pinto and there are no other middle-eastern girls.

Sorry if it's not a PC opinion but I would have loved to see some ACTUAL diversity.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't want to live in a world where Kate Upton is ranked "more beautiful" than Rosie. I just can't right now

Also, I'm surprised no Emmy Rossum--I think she is absolutely stunning.

I agree.
I don't really like the list because it's not multicultural enough. It's mostly white and asian women, half of the white ones are there because they have blue eyes and blonde hair; half of the asian ones are there probably because the guy who made the list think all asians are hot; there is only ONE black girl and a bunch of mixed race girls with white features, and I the only indian girl is Freida Pinto and there are no other middle-eastern girls.

Sorry if it's not a PC opinion but I would have loved to see some ACTUAL diversity.

Well there where at least 6 darkskinned women. I don't really think they had white features.. But yes some of them did appear mixed. But it's still a bit of progress (although there's clearly more to do), a lot of the times these types of lists include only white women and maybe some brazilians. Agree there should also be arabic girls etc on

Selena FUCKING Gomez is ahead of Natalie Portman......:supermad:

Exactly - like wtf?! Haha I love how it's supposedly the "independent" review - all of these things are so circuted and just the celebrity and entertainment industry in general doing one another favors.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree.

Well... we do live in a country where most of the models are of white and a good portion of asian descent. This is because the countries with the biggest international entertainment/modelling presence are first world countries with predominantly white populations. Therefore the proportions make sense. I mean, look at the black/ethnic proportions on runways - there aren't that many, and many of those that are have white features. This is simply a reflection of the people at the top of the industry at the moment, because as I said above, it is simply these industries patting themselves on the back.

It seems so random. Was there even a methodology used? I mean... Chloë Grace Moretz as #3? Umm. Okay then.

Lupita Nyong'o caught my eye - she's stunning!

Exactly - like wtf?! Haha I love how it's supposedly the "independent" review - all of these things are so circuted and just the celebrity and entertainment industry in general doing one another favors.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well... we do live in a country where most of the models are of white and a good portion of asian descent. This is because the countries with the biggest international entertainment/modelling presence are first world countries with predominantly white populations. Therefore the proportions make sense. I mean, look at the black/ethnic proportions on runways - there aren't that many, and many of those that are have white features. This is simply a reflection of the people at the top of the industry at the moment, because as I said above, it is simply these industries patting themselves on the back.

I mean, look at the black/ethnic proportions on runways - there aren't that many, and many of those that are have white features.

An African girl has african features :rolleyes:

A mixed race girl can have different features though, and many black models are actually mixed race.

Of course you are right, since a lot of them are mixed raced but not ALL of them. But that was not the point i was trying to make. It's that comment of "black girl with so called "white feature" that didn't sit well.

Of course you are right, since a lot of them are mixed raced but not ALL of them. But that was not the point i was trying to make. It's that comment of "black girl with so called "white feature" that didn't sit well.

What I said was "black/ethnic proportions on runways - there aren't that many, and many of those that are have white features." And a comment very similar to this had already been make by @Butternut. I don't believe I (or Butternut for that matter) ever said what you are referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you misread a comment - they were just pointing out that most of them are mixed race i think, nobody was trying to offend or say something along any racially insensitive lines

EDIT: I just saw @Golden ice 's response so disregard what I said since it's straight from the source :)

Well, I admit I made the comment in a lazy way, I should have explain exactly what was on my mind.

@Golden ice:
In your comment that I quoted, you said "I mean, look at the black/ethnic proportions on runways - there aren't that many, and many of those that are have white features". This is what prompted my message. From this I understood that you share/use this mainstream way of describing every "black/ethnic" models on the runways by saying that they possess white feature.

In the fashion world a black girl with who doesn't regroup the somewhat cliché features attributed to women of african decent "Big nose, big lips, big ass..." is said to have white features. You know the phrase, a black model should look like "a white girl dipped in chocolat".
So when I said "An African girl has african features" I was trying (lazily) to raise awareness to the fact that among those black/ethnic model some of them were 100% african (no caucasian ancestry) and well those so called "white features" did not make sense.

And by the way ( @Butternut ) for a mixed girl like Anais Mali whose ethnicity is 50% Tchad 50% Poland shall we say has half white half black features? How to define which feature belong to which ethnicity?

That confusion happens when we use such a term so casually, I did not want to start any polemique (except if it leads to a good debate :p ) and I was not offended by anyone but I couldn't resist the urge to say something.

@Lolo: Could you elaborate on why you don't agree with my statement? (curious)

And by the way ( @Butternut ) for a mixed girl like Anais Mali whose ethnicity is 50% Tchad 50% Poland shall we say has half white half black features? How to define which feature belong to which ethnicity?

All I wanted to say was that I would have loved to see more black girls on the list because I felt like they just added a few dark-skinned girls to seem more multi-cultural, and most of those were mixed.
Plus they all looked sort of similar, while my friends have completely different features. A girl from Congo looks completely different than a girl from Sudan for example.

@Lolo: Could you elaborate on why you don't agree with my statement? (curious)

I initially thought your statement to be somewhat generalised with regards to what an 'African' girl is supposed to look like and what 'African features' are. An Ethiopian girl would, for example, have vastly different features from a South African girl. And even that is a generalisation, because within South Africa (I use it as an example because it is my home country) there are a number of different indigenous general 'looks' amongst South African girls, notwithstanding the fact that we are all individuals and of course all look different.

From your explanation though it seems you actually agree with this? That an 'African girl' has 'African features' by virtue of being just that - a girl from Africa, with no other known ancestral influences - and that those features are nonetheless African, even if they are not to the 'traditional'/stereotypical African features you mentioned?

If so, I definitely do agree with you. However, I do think @Golden ice makes a fair point. Do you not think that African models, whether born in Africa or when used as a term for 'black models', nonetheless become more successful in the International modelling arena if they ascribe to a certain look? That certain features are selected/preferred above other features, and that these features often ascribe to the traditional Western standard of beauty? And if so, what does that mean for the representation of black women in modelling?

I will use my own country as an example of what I mean again, as I cannot really speak from any other vantage point, but this is something I have observed in the International modelling industry as well. In South Africa, a certain ideal for black woman is still held up as the standard of beauty, and I believe this standard is shared worldwide in many circles. This is of course debatable, but that ideal is normally a. Lighter skin (almost always); b. Longer hair relaxed hair/a weave (very often); and c. Full lips are good, a broad flat nose is not (almost always). We have a term for the proliferation of the requirement for this 'type' of African girl in the media, but I won't post this term here as it is quite derogatory.

Now, is this a 'white' standard/ideal? I don't know. The hair, the skin, the nose - I find it hard to see where else that standard comes from, if not the Western ideal of beauty.

Now that is well and fine for the individual model, and I don't think it's fair to term any model or female that ascribes to the above mentioned ideal as any less African than a model or female that has the 'traditional'/stereotypical African look. Such a girl is just as much African as any other model or person from Africa.
However, the fact of the matter is that such a model is not necessarily a representative of what the majority of the black people in the country look like, and while there is no reason why any specific model should be, the fact that the vast majority of black models in the industry have the selfsame features and that there there is very little diversity amongst these models is problematic.

To me, the fact that a certain look is still preferred and prevalent when looking at the representation of African models in the International fashion industry, and that in my opinion that look is based on a white ideal, lends credence to @Golden ice's point.

To my observation, many black models in the industry do have a certain look that does ascribe to "white girl dipped in chocolate". In my country this is changing, which to my mind is about damn time, but worldwide I still see very little diversity. That is not to say that a black girl with a certain look is un-African, but just that she cannot - and should not - be the only 'African' representative on the catwalk.
There are of course exceptions to this, whereby African girls with an entirely different look (and often more toward the stereotype of an African look) do work Internationally and every once in a blue moon 'Make it Big' (such as Alek Wek, for example), but this a whole other issue - because I believe that those girls are often chosen specifically for their 'otherness', and that is a problem too.

I am not an idealist though, I do know that a lot has to change before there can be diversity of African representation in the industry. Truth be told I believe the world's standard of beauty as a whole needs to be broken down and changed. Given the nature of the fashion industry and the power of the media as a whole, I do believe both the aforementioned have a specific role to play in this.

Given the fashion industry's current representation of African models and basically any model who is 'different' though, I'm sorry but I'm not going to be grateful with the bone they have thrown to diversity.

I am sorry for the long ramble, and for going very, very much off topic.

EDIT: While my observation of the representation of African girls is naturally subjective since it is experience and opinion-based, I just wanted to add a disclaimer that I am not jaded or bitter (since I am neither black, nor a model), these are just my honest observations having worked in the industry :)

Reactions: 1 users