The Hunger Games

I love Ellen, but I don't see her as Katniss. I think I would choose someone less famous for the part

I might be in minority, but putting weight issues aside, I think Jennifer Lawrence did a great job. I went to the movie with a bunch of people who haven't read the book and they all were asking questions about things that you could only pick up from Katniss face expressions (like her feelings towards Peeta)

Have you seen Ellen Page in Inception? I think she could have pulled it of but i never thought about her.

Thinking about it i would have liked Kaya Scodelario or maybe Camilla Belle...

kaya-scodelario-effy-skins.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HshTMYttcWs/THew34olgQI/AAAAAAAAF7c/QbeF0rms1lw/s1600/camilla-belle-.jpg

Anyway i also didn't like the guys in the movie, especially that bulky guy, Miley's bf....

Camilla Belle would have been an excellent choice...

I loved the cinematography for this movie, I think it should win the Oscar next year.

Hmm. I don't think it's likely, especially since it's just being released. Most Oscar movies are released much, much later in the year. Typical Oscar season is October-January (at the latest). It seems like all the "good" movies come out during that time of year, and most movies released during the Spring/Summer get overlooked.

In my opinion, the filming was really good at some times, but at other times it was so shaky that it hurt my head... Was it just me? My friend thought so too.

In my opinion, the filming was really good at some times, but at other times it was so shaky that it hurt my head... Was it just me? My friend thought so too.

I thought it was really blurry in some parts but everyone said it was just me.

Putting in my opinion because I am a Hunger Games freak. I thought the first book was amazing so I was disappointed in the movie. I know it has to be condensed for time, but some parts really got messed up. I didn't like the presentation of the movie. I thought it looked way different than I had imagined. The districts looked too modern in some aspects (like the projectors in each house to watch the games). The scenes were to bright but so quiet and awkward. I thought the actor portraying Peeta was AWFUL. He looked stupid the whole time and just sucked. I didn't like Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. Prim and Rue were perfect though. Elizabeth Banks as Effie was great. She said the funniest things and carried some scenes. Stanley Tucci was perfect as Caesar :luv: But that may because he is one of my favorite actors ever. Liam Hemsworth is a babe :p

I want to watch it one more time before I decide if it sucked, or I just plain hate it.

i quite enjoyed reading the hunger games, the books were a lot better than i thought they would be (but than again after all the hype that it was the next big thing after twilight my expectations were REALLY low, because what isnt better than the twilight books?)

i thought the movie did a fairly decent job actually, but:
1. they messed up rue and katniss's relationship, in the book their friendship really touched me, in the movie they were missing a lot of important stuff about the comaprison of rue to prim, and the stuff about rue's district and her family
2. i like jeniffer lawrence as an actress, i think she has a lot of talent (watch winter's bone and the poker house) but imo she did not show enough dedication to the role. if you are a decent and dedicated actor you should take on your characters mind, BODY and soul. she should have lost some weight. she should have been smaller than peeta. she should have been less masculine and understood the need to balance inner strength and determination with feline grace and vulnerability. and why did they make her choke peeta? in the book she pushed him and he was surprised and cut himself on a vase
3. probably should have picked a bigger peeta in height and bulk and gotten somebody who was obviously strong and could actually do some damage, but with a character too good to actually ever want to hurt anyone
4. the messed up the relationship between katniss, peeta and haymitch too. i really enjoyed reading them because peeta and haymitch like each other but katniss and haymitch get eachother which i thought was really interesting. especially in the games and they was they communicated.
5. they should have done the cave scene properly (and the bread scene too come to think of it) cause it was so important to understanding katniss and peeta's relationship and their parents relationship, and the tricking peeta to sleep thing should have been included too

anyway, i hope when they continue the other books the dont lose the essence of the series (in terms of the repercussions of war, politics, propoganda and media, revolution, post war trauma, grief, pain, loss etc.)

and yep i agree the camera was a bit too shaky/blurry for my liking, but in a way i was thankful cause its hard to watch kids kill other kids, plus it helped them keep their PG rating because you dont really know whats going on

I've actually never heard of the Hunger Games before the movie was released, and I have to say that the books seem quite good. I also wanted to see the movie, so what would you girls advice me? Should I read the books first and then see the movie (to understand better the story), or do the opposite (since I heard that the movie wasn't that good, so reading the book after would leave me with a better feeling)?

Come to think of it, Isabelle Lucas would have also been a FANTASTIC choice.

Her or Camilla Belle like you guys mentioned before would have been so, so much better.

Incidentally: on one hand, I sort of see why Jennifer Lawrence is making a stand. Like, "here's my body, I'm not going to change it, this will show girls with similar bodies that it's okay to have a body like mine, too". Alright, fine. It's not the type of body I personally would prefer or admire, but I'm for representing diversity in that regard (within limitations, because I still won't support showcasing pro-obese body types). BUT. All that said, this is NOT the movie to do this in. I think the beef most people have is that it just plain doesn't suit the character. And her staunch refusal to lose weight to fit the character and role is what annoys me. Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis lost significant weight for Black Swan, not necessarily because they like that body weight, but because it would be unrealistic to have anything but uber-thin ballerinas. Renee Zellweger gained weight multiple times to play Bridget Jones, because her being chubby is such a central feature of that singular character. See: Christian Bale in the Machinist. See: Charlize Theron in Monster. Actors do it all the time, it's part of their job. I think it was silly of Jennifer Lawrence to try to make a point with this particular movie, because again, she simply has the wrong body type for this particular role. I mean, it's partly her fault, but also, what was the casting director thinking?

I've been watching a lot of Lost lately, which takes place on an island in the middle of the ocean, where, for the first season and a half, the entire cast only has access to fruits they forage, fish they catch and boars they hunt. Every female cast member in the show is represented as skinny-to-thin, there's lots of visible xylophones everywhere, no one has excess fat, everyone has deep tans, everyone basically looks like I would expect them too if they didn't have regular access to food and were in the bright, tropical sun, day in and day out. It's realistic, and it suits the theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I might be in minority, but putting weight issues aside, I think Jennifer Lawrence did a great job. I went to the movie with a bunch of people who haven't read the book and they all were asking questions about things that you could only pick up from Katniss face expressions (like her feelings towards Peeta)

We can be a minority together! I still think she should have lost weight for the part but I thought she did a really good job.
I'm not a really hard core fan, so maybe that was why I almost liked to movie better than the book. For me the books were hard to read sometimes (It seemed like the tense switched and there seemed to be poor grammer) but maybe that was just me.

Please give me a moment while I properly express my feelings for this movie:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH LOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

*ahem*
Sorry. =p

I first read Hunger Games about two years ago, and before I even finished it, I knew it would make an amazing movie and I WAS SO RIGHT. I love almost everything to do with the books and movies with the possible exception of Liam Hemsworth as Gale. That just doesn't sit right with me.

I think Jennifer Lawrence was BEYOND perfect as Katniss. While the actress, without being made up as Katniss may not be right, they turned her into Miss Everdeen and I'm damn pleased with it. Just because she has a round face doesn't mean she's fat - it means she has a round face. She's damn hot - and I'm straight (mostly. XD)

While the books by far surpassed the movie, the movie was still amazing. I would like people to keep in mind that the movie had a lot to live up to. I knew it wouldn't be as amazing as the book and I accepted that. Once I got over the fact that it would never be as good as the books, I LOVED it. The graphics were amazing. Katniss was the girl on fire more so than I ever could have pictured. Josh Hutcherson's jaw pwned ass. Rue was adorable. Cato was effing scary (Pun TOTALLY intended). Clove was the perfect amount of cute and creepy. I wanted to punch Glimmer in her Cato-hitting-on face (I ship Cato/Clove until the end. XD). Marvel actually made me laugh. XD The mutts damn near made me shit myself. Everyone swooned at Seneca Crane's beard (That beard is freaking BOSS.)

*coughcough*

Also, everyone just needs to freaking STOP (Just STOP) comparing TGH to Twilight and Harry Potter. I don't even see how it's related to Harry Potter in any way, shape, or form, other than that it's epic. And Twilight? Well...if you take the love triangle out of the Hunger Games, it's about a televised fight to the death. If you take the love triangle out of Twilight, it's about a girl who moves to a town where it rains a lot.

.....okay. I'm done for now. XD

And Twilight? Well...if you take the love triangle out of the Hunger Games, it's about a televised fight to the death. If you take the love triangle out of Twilight, it's about a girl who moves to a town where it rains a lot.

:)
I could take the love triangle out, actually

I love the books, i couldn't put them down!! I thought the movie was pretty good, but they could have made some of the scenes longer and more in depth. I did like the people they chose for the characters though. I just hope the next movie is better!

So this is the new big hype after twilight.... I read the books and i liked them and i just watched the movie but i am really dissappointed. Jennifer Lawrence doesn't fit the description of Katniss Everdeen at all....

However i was shocked when i read lots of racist comments about the fact that Rue is black in the movie.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/320...ames-racism-jennifer-lawrence-twitter-rue.htm

What do you think about this?

Have you seen the movies/read the books?

I read all the books!!! Every night I read these to my kids and I was also slightly disappointed int he movie as they left ALOT out that really created the background however.... I think that's because we read the books. I took my BF and he loved the movie and he didnt read the books.

I hope the sequel can fill in the gaps the first movie left behind.
In regards to the Rue.. I think she was perfect for the role. I agree I was severely disappointed with the casting of Katniss!!!!

Havent read books but I thought the movie was ok......wanna read books tho

I liked the books, but thought the movie was mediocre at best. I was pleasantly surprised with Jennifer's performance, I think she's immensely talented and makes a perfect Katniss.

i haven't seen the movie yet (and i think i won't), but the cast of the leading roles is just terrible...
anyway, besides a lot of other actresses which would have been a much better choice for katniss, i really thought that the tribute girl of three looked adorable and would have been a great choice as katniss... what do you think? she is really pretty and looks skinny:luv:

District-3-Tribute-Girl-the-hunger-games-movie-22620792-720-540.jpg

KaliaPrescott2.jpg

528507_299381830135229_144694418937305_748423_1574935415_n.jpg

Kalia.jpg