The face to be a model?

ForeverDirtx

Rookie
Apr 15, 2012
Hi girls! So, after hunting through a few agencies application pages, other than mentioning height and what not, it often mentions "the face/look to be a model" and it got me thinking.

I know a lot of girls here work in the industry, so I wondered, what do agencies look for when a girl applies? Not just in height and measurements (although feel free to include those) but over all.

I know I'm a bit old, but theres no harm in trying anyway, so I plan on applying to an agency in a few weeks once I've trimmed some extra weight off.

As far as I know, agencies appreciate symmetry - in theory at least. But reality often looks different. There are some supermodels whose facial symmetry is far from perfect. So what they are always looking for is that certain something, something unique. A nondescript face, even if it's quite pretty, won't impress.

I don't know much about agencies though. I only could tell as a designer which face I would hire and which not

As far as I know, agencies appreciate symmetry - in theory at least. But reality often looks different. There are some supermodels whose facial symmetry is far from perfect. So what they are always looking for is that certain something, something unique. A nondescript face, even if it's quite pretty, won't impress.

I don't know much about agencies though. I only could tell as a designer which face I would hire and which not

Yeah I've heard symmetry before, then I see a lot of girls who contradict that lol. I havent a clue whether my face is symmetrical or not lol

I think it's important for a model to be recognizable in a way...could be due to stunning facial symmetry or even the opposite, as long as it makes people remember you.

I think the most important attributes are:
1) measurements - if you aren't the right shape you won't be considered
2) camera ability - look natural, be able to produce a range of convincing expressions, create an emotion with your look
3) walk and posing - be able to look graceful/sexy and stay upright in stupidly high heels, be able to control your body to make the attitudes the photo needs

It seems like what your face looks like comes last - there are lots of totally forgettable and boring models, lots of beautiful models, lots of 'unique' models, lots of ugly models (if I dare say it ;)).

Anyhow, good luck!

I think the most important attributes are:
1) measurements - if you aren't the right shape you won't be considered
2) camera ability - look natural, be able to produce a range of convincing expressions, create an emotion with your look
3) walk and posing - be able to look graceful/sexy and stay upright in stupidly high heels, be able to control your body to make the attitudes the photo needs

It seems like what your face looks like comes last - there are lots of totally forgettable and boring models, lots of beautiful models, lots of 'unique' models, lots of ugly models (if I dare say it ;)).

Anyhow, good luck!

Thanks! I'm actually quite pleased because I have similar measurements to a lot of the models I've been looking at, I just need an inch or two off my waist.:3 I wish I knew their leg measurements because my thighs are huge.;-; lol

Thanks! I'm actually quite pleased because I have similar measurements to a lot of the models I've been looking at, I just need an inch or two off my waist.:3 I wish I knew their leg measurements because my thighs are huge.;-; lol

17-18" would be my guess.

Ahh thank you! Would that be right next to the crotch at the very top or kinda in the middle?

At the widest part. If your legs are like mine that isn't right up at the crotch - I have a sort of drumstick shape :superpuke: so the fat sort of pouches a couple of inches down :(

I found 2 articles about model scouting a while back where it mentions a few things that scouts look for in a model. They're pretty long, and most of it is irrelevant to this thread, but here is what the articles mentioned:

1. Vivid bone structure
2. Translucent skin
3. Long legs
4. Great nose (not too big or too small) - can be long, but can't have a wide bridge
5. Right body type
6. Eyes can't be too close together

Here is the link for one (from 2003): http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2003/jul/13/features.magazine27
and the link for the other is broken :(

I found 2 articles about model scouting a while back where it mentions a few things that scouts look for in a model. They're pretty long, and most of it is irrelevant to this thread, but here is what the articles mentioned:

1. Vivid bone structure
2. Translucent skin
3. Long legs
4. Great nose (not too big or too small) - can be long, but can't have a wide bridge
5. Right body type
6. Eyes can't be too close together

Here is the link for one (from 2003): http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2003/jul/13/features.magazine27
and the link for the other is broken :(

Its my nose I worry about the most.;-; lol. Going to go have a read of that now.:3

Thank you lovely!^_^ Honestly, I wish there better agencies where I live. One I was looking at here said I would be too thin for fashion modelling.>_> WHAT. I still have a bare minimum of 8 pounds to lose. I'd love to apply to one in London when I've lost weight but I dunno if I can living here.:S

Thank you lovely!^_^ Honestly, I wish there better agencies where I live. One I was looking at here said I would be too thin for fashion modelling.>_> WHAT. I still have a bare minimum of 8 pounds to lose. I'd love to apply to one in London when I've lost weight but I dunno if I can living here.:S

As long as you can get to London to speak to them when you need to, I don't see why it should matter where you live - it's not like you'd have to turn up for work at their offices every day. And tons of models come from the Ukraine or whatever - you can always move if it's worth your while.

As long as you can get to London to speak to them when you need to, I don't see why it should matter where you live - it's not like you'd have to turn up for work at their offices every day. And tons of models come from the Ukraine or whatever - you can always move if it's worth your while.

Suppose it'd just be a case of making sure I had money saved for flights over.:3 If it worked out I'd love to move there, just wouldn't be able to with my current situation.>-< lol

You have to have everything people mentioned and also rockin Venus and Uranus aspects. The more you have, the better the career. Pluto can help also because it rules power but without great Venus and Uranus aspects it doesn't happen.

One I was looking at here said I would be too thin for fashion modelling.>_>

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more agencies like that, after what's going on in the industry lately.

WHAT. I still have a bare minimum of 8 pounds to lose.

just make sure it's done the healthy way...:

"[...] As from June, the international fashion magazine [Vogue] will renounce those same models. The morbid craze about skinniness shall be stopped in all 19 countries in which "Vogue" is published. Boney women's bodies on which femininity is indistinguishable without any curves, will then belong to the past in one of the world's most influential fashion magazines.
The magazine [...] knows about its leading role in the world of fashion.
"We carry a certain body image and are aware of our role model function" [...]
All 19 executive editors of Vogue international have concluded an agreement to promote a healthy body image in the future. Last Thursday, the managing editors announced a six-point-agreement, in which the departments commit to a row of sanctions. Specifically, there shall no future series be produced with girls with eating disorders. It shall be pointed out to casting/model agencies, too, that girls who are not merely thin but rather obviously sick, won't get chances of photo series anymore.

(I had to translate this, I hope it's comprehensible :lol:)

Thats stupid.D: I agree on the eating disorder side of things, but being thin, or even boney, does NOT mean someone has an eating disorder. Blah. But its alright, I can still lose a looooot of weight while still looking pretty damn chunky compared to most models, which is why its so ridiculous that I'd be too thin.:p The one that says I'm too thin is Allison Campbell or something, the first one I'm thinking of applying to is Style Academy, seems to be one of the best ones where I live, so we'll see.

You have to have everything people mentioned and also rockin Venus and Uranus aspects. The more you have, the better the career. Pluto can help also because it rules power but without great Venus and Uranus aspects it doesn't happen.

What now?o-o Sorry, no idea what you mean, could you explain please?^_^<3