Terry Richardson

Another quick thought on Terry:

First of all, I agree with all that Jane so brilliantly said about talentless people who suck at their jobs.

But in Terrys case we have that thing..he´s talented, he has visions and in my humble opinion that guy totally does not suck at his job. And these visions are what good artists need to have. And whatever else he does..if he´s a sexmaniac..well..to be honest, I don´t care very much about that. Many great artists are not totally sane in my experience and of course it can be quite problematic for the people who work with them. But it seems like there are still people who love to do it and as long as they don´t do really criminal or sadistic stuff..well...if the models sleep with Terry, they do and if they do it for becoming successful...good luck on that. I dunno, sex might be personal but its also something people do for fun. I think its highly overrated. And I love what Jane said, that if you do something you should own it. Whatever that is. And I would be so bold to say that I have the feeling thats exactly what Terry does though there might (I don´t think anything is proved?) be things he does that are not perfectly right, but well...who am I to judge things that are not even for sure.

Another long one... Why am I incapable of keeping it short?

Thanks for the props, ladies!!!

@RedGlitter -(I'm writing this assuming that the stories about him are true and I'm also not directing this just to you)

I agree with you that Terry Richardson is an EXTREMELY talented artist and that artists often have their eccentricities. There's nothing wrong with him being a sex fiend or whatever but on the other side of that coin you have a man who uses his position of power to manipulate women to get what he wants from them. It is an abuse of power and it is exploitation. I think that the women's sexual revolution was the BEST thing that could have happened for men because now what you have is women volunteering to be used while thinking that it was their idea. It's the equivalent of a slave going "Yes Massa! I want go work for you for free!!". There is a fine line between using a man's weakness against him and being exploited. Using a man's weakness against him is when she uses her sexuality to convince and manipulate him into wanting to do certain things for her. Being exploited is when you have a person in power manipulating someone else to do things for them under the threat that if they don't, the powerful person will not only not help them but also, in many cases, stand in the way of them achieving their goal. Just because a woman is willing to "use her sexuality against men" that doesn't make it any less exploitative because not only are you giving the man sex, you're giving him sex while also making him money. Think about it, do you think Terry Richardson is going to endorse a model that he doesn't already think has potential? He still makes money from his work with your likeness AND he got a blowie to do it. If he finds a model with potential and she refuses him he simply doesn't help her, even though he knows she could have a good career. In the worst of cases you have the person in power making promises to someone who isn't going anywhere and then simply not following through after they've gotten what they want. If someone more powerful than you uses your position in a lower station against you at any point, don't fool yourself, you're being exploited. I don't think a woman should EVER be shamed for her sexual choices, regardless of what they are but always remember this ladies, a woman who depends on sex to get by in life is a leaf blowing in the wind of men's whims. The moment your benefactor sets his sights on new prey, you get discarded like yesterday's newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the props, ladies!!!

@RedGlitter -(I'm writing this assuming that the stories about him are true and I'm also not directing this just to you)

I agree with you that Terry Richardson is an EXTREMELY talented artist and that artists often have their eccentricities. There's nothing wrong with him being a sex fiend or whatever but on the other side of that coin you have a man who uses his position of power to manipulate women to get what he wants from them. It is an abuse of power and it is exploitation. I think that the women's sexual revolution was the BEST thing that could have happened for men because now what you have is women volunteering to be used while thinking that it was their idea. It's the equivalent of a slave going "Yes Massa! I want go work for you for free!!". There is a fine line between using a man's weakness against him and being exploited. Using a man's weakness against him is when she uses her sexuality to convince and manipulate him into wanting to do certain things for her. Being exploited is when you have a person in power manipulating someone else to do things for them under the threat that if they don't, the powerful person will not only not help them but also, in many cases, stand in the way of them achieving their goal. Just because a woman is willing to "use her sexuality against men" that doesn't make it any less exploitative because not only are you giving the man sex, you're giving him sex while also making him money. Think about it, do you think Terry Richardson is going to endorse a model that he doesn't already think has potential? He still makes money from his work with your likeness AND he got a blowie to do it. If he finds a model with potential and she refuses him he simply doesn't help her, even though he knows she could have a good career. In the worst of cases you have the person in power making promises to someone who isn't going anywhere and then simply not following through after they've gotten what they want. If someone more powerful than you uses your position in a lower station against you at any point, don't fool yourself, you're being exploited. I don't think a woman should EVER be shamed for her sexual choices, regardless of what they are but always remember this ladies, a woman who depends on sex to get by in life is a leaf blowing in the wind of men's whims. The moment your benefactor sets his sights on new prey, you get discarded like yesterday's newspaper.

But that's the thing, who's the victim? I'm not sure that we are to say that these models are completely helpless and unable to make their own choices in all this. It's not giving them enough credit, IMO, to claim that they're sheeple who can't decide whether or not they want to do this shoot with Terry. I mean, aren't they benefiting from the exposure just as much as him?

(I'm not trying to sound crabby, genuinely asking your opinion haha)

But that's the thing, who's the victim? I'm not sure that we are to say that these models are completely helpless and unable to make their own choices in all this. It's not giving them enough credit, IMO, to claim that they're sheeple who can't decide whether or not they want to do this shoot with Terry. I mean, aren't they benefiting from the exposure just as much as him?

Oh, girl! Don't worry about it, I love discussions and have no problem with anyone expressing a different opinion to mine.

They may benefit, they may not. I don't think that they are helpless sheeple. I think they decide to shoot with Terry for the exposure and I think that if they decide to suck him off to get the pics out, that is their choice but it doesn't mean that they aren't being exploited. If he lets them know that no dick in mouth = no pics in mags, it is still exploitation. Saying something like that to a model is really not giving them much of a choice, depending the model's situation. It may not bother them to be exploited, but that is still the case. I didn't use the word "victim" for a reason. They are willing participants in their exploitation. Business is business. I come here, do a job, it is lucrative for both parties. That is a successful business transaction. If you don't want to follow through with your end of the deal unless I do more than I was hired for, that is crossing a line. I don't judge any woman who gives the man what he wants but I will say this, it's never something she went in dying to do because Terry may be talented but he is not a man any woman would look at and go "Now THERE'S a man I want to blow!!".

@ForeverDirtx - Thanks girl! :grin:

Oh, girl! Don't worry about it, I love discussions and have no problem with anyone expressing a different opinion to mine.

They may benefit, they may not. I don't think that they are helpless sheeple. I think they decide to shoot with Terry for the exposure and I think that if they decide to suck him off to get the pics out, that is their choice but it doesn't mean that they aren't being exploited. If he lets them know that no dick in mouth = no pics in mags, it is still exploitation. Saying something like that to a model is really not giving them much of a choice, depending the model's situation. It may not bother them to be exploited, but that is still the case. I didn't use the word "victim" for a reason. They are willing participants in their exploitation. Business is business. I come here, do a job, it is lucrative for both parties. That is a successful business transaction. If you don't want to follow through with your end of the deal unless I do more than I was hired for, that is crossing a line. I don't judge any woman who gives the man what he wants but I will say this, it's never something she went in dying to do because Terry may be talented but he is not a man any woman would look at and go "Now THERE'S a man I want to blow!!".

@ForeverDirtx - Thanks girl! :grin:

Hahaha 'kay, I get where you're coming from a little more :) thanks for the response!

It's not as if sucking your way to the top is anywhere near as transactional as some of you make it out to be. Every day, a girl working her way up in the world makes decisions about who to socialize with, who to party with, who to flirt with, who to date, what events to go to, who to do random projects with, etc. Sometimes those "networking" choices lead to sexual situations (just like for anyone in any line of work) and sometimes they lead to better career prospects as well. Sometimes it's one or the other or both.

But a girl's decisions about who to socialize with can often benefit her career. Choices like: go out and have ramen with a couple friends from school, or go to a gallery opening that will have several VIPs there, and see/be seen?

It's not as if someone hands you a menu when you get to New York:

• Blow the CD at tomorrow night's casting: get a $250k Lancome contract*
  • Fuck the photographer you test with next Saturday: get an editorial in Vogue
  • Blow the designers from Wednesday's shoot: get into their Fashion Week show
  • Blow random industry people: $200 per.

It just doesn't work like that. I've been around this business a few years now, and no one trades sexual favors the way some of you think. It just doesn't work like that... it's way way lower key. But yeah, there are many power players who take advantage of their power, just like every other business everywhere.

* - best blow job in the history of the world, obvs

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
oh and

Back to the subject of Terry, no one has to shoot with him, and every girl who does knows what she is getting into. His shoots can get intense and they usually have a lot of sexual energy. A lot of models love shooting with him (like check the posts in this thread) and do it many times over. And if a model doesn't like where/how the shoot is going, she can just leave. So I think the big open secret is how that most models love working with him. I also agree with what other people said here - he is a very fun, cool, funny guy to work with.

It just doesn't work like that. I've been around this business a few years now, and no one trades sexual favors the way some of you think. It just doesn't work like that... it's way way lower key. But yeah, there are many power players who take advantage of their power, just like every other business everywhere.

I somehow am not suprised that its way lower key, cause I already wondered if sex is THAT overrated these days that is plays a major role in a whole business. Makes sense that it is part of the game as everywhere, but not the key to success.

It's not as if someone hands you a menu when you get to New York:

• Blow the CD at tomorrow night's casting: get a $250k Lancome contract*
  • Fuck the photographer you test with next Saturday: get an editorial in Vogue
  • Blow the designers from Wednesday's shoot: get into their Fashion Week show
  • Blow random industry people: $200 per.

Wut? You mean you don't get assigned a sexual favor fairy who whispers in your ear who you're supposed to be doing?? You mean you don't even get a receipt or an IOU at the end??? That's crazy talk. :)

It just doesn't work like that. I've been around this business a few years now, and no one trades sexual favors the way some of you think. It just doesn't work like that... it's way way lower key.

I don't think everyone just goes around trading sexual favors all the time but I know that it does happen whether it's a spoken agreement or simply someone knowing that doing x,y or z will get them a,b or c in return. I can only speak for myself but my posts were referring to specific situations or "rumors". The rest of it was more of a general rant on exploitation and boning to get ahead.

But yeah, there are many power players who take advantage of their power, just like in every other business everywhere.

That's true, it happens in every business but like I said, it happens less in less creative, more structured markets. Mostly because everyone's afraid of getting sued.

a sexual favor fairy sounds awesome, but i think it would have a different purpose :run:

" just like in every other business everywhere. " Im totally agree with you.

Despite all the rumors, I find him very talented, clever, and seems somehow that he doesnt have anything to hide.

XBbfXvAq_10.jpg

OMG! Lily Cole looks HUGE in that picture! shes got bigger hips than terry!

pardon my ignorance, which one is Lily Cole?

I'm fairly blind without my glasses but second in from the left I think.

She doesn't look great there, I agree. Her thighs look huge. She knows it as well, trying to hide them :sneaky: