Taylor Swift

Just watched it. Here's my 2 cents:

If Taylor says she has/had an eating disorder, then I believe her and I wish her well in her recovery.
With that said, I really wish we could change the way we talk about eating disorders in this country, because it ALWAYS seems to reinforce this narrative that there are only two options for a woman to be: fat or sick. If you're maintaining a thin physique, you must be sick, and if you don't want to be sick then the only alternative is to be chubby. I fully understand that after years of disordered eating and heavy restricting someone might need to allow themselves to swing in the opposite direction for a while or they might simply find that they don't know how to have a healthy relationship with exercise and calorie control, so the only option they have that isn't an eating disorder is to let it go entirely. I'm not judging anyone who finds themselves in that position, but PLEASE don't act like it's the only way anyone can be. Plenty of people maintain that same low weight in a healthy way just like plenty of people suffer from eating disorders without being stick thin. If she needs to tell herself "no more calorie counting" because she knows any level of restriction will make her spiral into eating disorder mode, fine. But don't act as though the very act of counting calories is equivalent to a disorder.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
In an interview with British Vogue, she said: "I need to take pleasure in food"
No, honey, you don't...

• Useful
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Just watched it. Here's my 2 cents:

If Taylor says she has/had an eating disorder, then I believe her and I wish her well in her recovery.
With that said, I really wish we could change the way we talk about eating disorders in this country, because it ALWAYS seems to reinforce this narrative that there are only two options for a woman to be: fat or sick. If you're maintaining a thin physique, you must be sick, and if you don't want to be sick then the only alternative is to be chubby. I fully understand that after years of disordered eating and heavy restricting someone might need to allow themselves to swing in the opposite direction for a while or they might simply find that they don't know how to have a healthy relationship with exercise and calorie control, so the only option they have that isn't an eating disorder is to let it go entirely. I'm not judging anyone who finds themselves in that position, but PLEASE don't act like it's the only way anyone can be. Plenty of people maintain that same low weight in a healthy way just like plenty of people suffer from eating disorders without being stick thin. If she needs to tell herself "no more calorie counting" because she knows any level of restriction will make her spiral into eating disorder mode, fine. But don't act as though the very act of counting calories is equivalent to a disorder.
Especially because she mentions having an ED around the 1989 era which is the thinnest she ever been, but she’s always been slim since she entered the scene. So idk, like I said I hope she can find a balance.

This is what she looked like in 2013 before losing weight:
A7212471-E05F-424D-84B6-A0C0D4A57E43.jpeg

And this is her body now
2E7A67B5-8400-41C3-B77B-2F2A30C6A1AE.jpeg

I really doubt her current body is her natural body type or bullshit like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
This is what she looked like in 2013 before losing weight:
View attachment 71172
And this is her body now
View attachment 71173
I really doubt her current body is her natural body type or bullshit like that.

Exactly. If this is where you're at right now then fine. I understand that dramatic weight gain is often a part of the process and you need to learn how to accept yourself regardless of your size. If she wants to say "this is for me a step forward from where I was before, even if I look worse on the outside," that I can 100% accept. But please don't try to convince us or yourself that this is the size you are at your "healthiest" because this is still some wildly unbalanced shit.

It's what always gets me about eating disorder confessions. They come in the form of "I WAS super unhealthy but I'm so totally healthy and great now!" while the person is nearly always still very visibly in the midst of a raging eating disorder, just in a slightly different form. They are two sides of the same coin of not knowing how to have a healthy relationship with food. One side is obsessively controlling, the other is excessively indulgent, but neither reflects a balanced, healthy relationship. So don't insist that you're all recovered now and everything is fine and being fat is just the price you pay for being healthy. It's ok to be honest and say, "I'm still struggling with this."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 9 users
Exactly. If this is where you're at right now then fine. I understand that dramatic weight gain is often a part of the process and you need to learn how to accept yourself regardless of your size. If she wants to say "this is for me a step forward from where I was before, even if I look worse on the outside," that I can 100% accept. But please don't try to convince us or yourself that this is the size you are at your "healthiest" because this is still some wildly unbalanced shit.

It's what always gets me about eating disorder confessions. They come in the form of "I WAS super unhealthy but I'm so totally healthy and great now!" while the person is nearly always still very visibly in the midst of a raging eating disorder, just in a slightly different form. They are two sides of the same coin of not knowing how to have a healthy relationship with food. One side is obsessively controlling, the other is excessively indulgent, but neither reflects a balanced, healthy relationship. So don't insist that you're all recovered now and everything is fine and being fat is just the price you pay for being healthy. It's ok to be honest and say, "I'm still struggling with this."

Unfortunately, it's common to swing to Binge Eating Disorder in Anorexia recovery, especially with a system that focuses more on weight gain than changing the mindset. Binge eating is both stigmatised more than starving and normalised in our food-centred culture. Many people who end up bingeing often don't realise that what they're doing is still an ED, and even if they do, they may be hesitant to speak about it. It's weird how society doesn't give other eating disorders the same amount of concern as they do to AN. I hope Taylor can eventually make peace with food and her body.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Having watched Miss Americana, I have no doubt that Taylor still has an ED. There's one particularly jarring shot of Taylor hugging herself in the backseat of a car and repeating—ostensibly to the cameraman but really turned away and addressing her reflection in the window—things like "We don't do that anymore, we're done with that, that didn't lead us to a good place" and "Food is good for us, food makes us stronger." You can tell she's trying to force herself into a different mindset, like she's reading lines straight from a recovery manual or transcript of a therapist convo, but she doesn't really believe it at all. When she says "I'd rather look fat than ill" and "I'm no longer a size double zero, I'm a size six, and it's okay," she seems to be literally holding back tears.

But the thesis of the entire film is victimization—Taylor, the child star, raised to be perfect and thrive off the praise of strangers, etc etc—which is way too flatteringly in line with her entire celebrity persona for it to read as truly authentic. And her generalizing delineation of "fat or sick" is lazy, misinforming, and just fucking irritating. ED or not, she shouldn't be telling young girls that being thin by itself is shameful. There are a few shots in the film of skinny Taylor circa 2014 and the look of utter determination in her eyes is actually something to behold.

miss americana 2.png

miss americana .png

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
You can tell she's trying to force herself into a different mindset, like she's reading lines straight from a recovery manual or transcript of a therapist convo, but she doesn't really believe it at all.

This is what I thought too when I watched the documentary. There's been a huge cultural shift from "don't starve yourself and be self destructive, that's an eating disorder" to "don't restrict or try to control yourself at all, that's an eating disorder." A lot of celebrities talk about their disordered thoughts. It seems like she's trying to fit in with this wave of body positivity. I'm all for learning to love yourself at any weight, but that doesn't mean you should love being at any weight. It seems like she's just contributing to this "anything goes and if you don't eat whatever you want you're disordered" mindset. "Food makes us stronger." No, not all food. "Food makes us stronger" isn't a reason to eat mindlessly, and people use it as one. I don't think she really believes this but she's trying to make herself believe it.
And this is her body now

Oh my god. I had no idea she got this bad. I'm not sure if it's extra unflattering lighting or something, but even if it is, she can't possibly look good in ideal lighting either. Also, this outfit just screams "I'm a pop star, guys!!" and not much else. No originality. I think Taylor used to have some style, if not an aesthetic I personally like anymore, but this is just such a ridiculously uncreative look. Wouldn't even look good on thin Taylor.

Reactions: 1 user
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.05.05 PM.png

from taylor's new music video, unfortunately reviving 2011 indie folk aesthetics won't revive her 2011 body!

• Pig
  • Sad
  • Gross
Reactions: 17 users
I'm surprised these haven't been posted before.

She did the cover of Vogue UK January 2020.
I nearly recognized her honestly.

Taylor Swift Vogue UK.jpg
Taylor Swift Vogue UK 2.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I'm honestly a huge Taylor Swift fan and obviously she looked incredible back in her 1989 era, but I believe her in that she's happy in her body now. I understand relationship weight gain all too well (hehe). But I feel like she needs a better stylist, all of her clothes make her look even more frumpy and even bigger than she really is. Like the dress she wore in Cardigan (posted above) really did make her look like Miss Piggy.

This is the only photo I've seen so far where her clothes haven't harmed her in terms of looking fat.
1607503719417.png

Like this skirt is two sizes too small, wearing a bigger size would've made her thighs look smaller..
1607504128621.png

and a throwback just for fun, one of my fave looks from the golden era
1607503949667.png

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users