Votes: 104 41.1%
  • Never, they are so tacky!

Votes: 60 23.7%

• Total voters

Apple

Rising Star
Jan 16, 2012
USA
Do you guys love them, hate them, or are you pretty neutral? Do you have any? How old were you when you got your first tattoo? Plan on getting more?

GIVE ME YOUR TATTOO SPIEL!

Reactions: 1 user
I have one, and I'm going to get more! (I've just turned 18, which is the age limit in Denmark)

Small cute tattoos are OK in my eyes.

But any of you considering modeling - DON'T DO IT!

I have heard this a lot! Could anyone tell us why exactly that is? Do they want model's bodies to be a bare canvas to work with?

I have two doves beneath my collar bones

The dove represents the Holy Spirit or the Holy Ghost in Christianity. The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus like a dove when he was baptized in the Jordan River:
Luke 3:22
... and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

I also have a violet flower,which is my mother's birth flower and I have her birthday in Roman Numerals below the flower. I love my mother VERY much. She is truly a great mother and a great friend. So there's a part of her with me always.

I have a hello kitty zombie tattoo on my lower stomach. It's cute and I've been a fan of HK since I was like 9 (got the tattoo when I was 18 and here I am 21 and still buying hello city underwear, hello kitty car seats covers, hello kitty tote bags--it's an addiction)

I have a peace sign on my ankle (got it at the age of 17) I'm very against violence. Never had a fight in my entire years of living. I pray for world peace every single night and when a bad situation comes up, I'm always the peace maker around.

I have the sacred heart of jesus of my forearm (heart with the cross and the buring flames (this tattoo deals with my beliefs)
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...51&tbnw=92&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

I also have a paw print on my right shoulder- I love animals. I am a vegetarian who just turned Vegan and my passion for animals is truly strong. I'm all about animals rights.

My next tattoo will be a quote in my inner arm by Anne Frank, which will read- "I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains"

I really love my tattoos. I have 6, but I plan on getting many many many more. I will be one tatted up grandmother in the future because I see my body as a canvas and I will be showing off my tattoos at 80 years old with my other old buddies as we share our young life stories together.

Nope no tattoos, I change my mind way too much for such a commitment! ( I have a funny story of a former roommate who got a tattoo as a teen and her parents were so pissed they made her go to a gang tattoo removal program through their church, but even after so many laser sessions it was still there and just sort of blurry and lighter...ok, maybe that's not too funny to her, but I found it amusing.)

Maybe when I'm old I'll get my eyebrows and eyeliner tatted on though to complete my planned dragon lady look. (by the time my hands are too unsteady to do all my make up I might need a more permanent solution)

I don't have a tattoo, but I'm seriously considering getting a medium-sized tree silhouette between my shoulder blades on my back. I think tattoos are nice if they are simple and tasteful. That's just me though.

Simple and small tattoos with serious meaning are good.

I couldn't get one, though. I'm having trouble deciding on a permanent engraving inside of my wedding ring at the moment! There is no WAY I can commit to something I'll have to look at every day on my skin.

Plus I'm terrified of skin stretching situations. Pregnancy...old age..wrinkles.

Yikes. :(

I have three tattoos, both fairly small, (I do not regret any of my tattoos) when i was 16 i got the breast cancer ribbon on the back of my neck for my mom and then later when i was like 18-19 i got it updated and wings added to it so i count that as two since it was years before i got it updated and then i go one when i was in england for my birthday, it is a chinese symbol on my outer left ankle that says water and it symbolizes for me my swimming "career" or how ever u want to put it i was a national competitive swimmer and also went to the BC Trail trials, also reminds me of all the friends i made and my coach who i thought of as a second mother i swam 24 hours in a week and also i dislocated my shoulder twice in my swimming so it resembles all that to me.

I have 5 - swallows on my feet, a rose on my left leg, a ship on my right leg and stars behind my ear. The stars were my first and were a Cancun moment so were just a bit of fun. The others are meaningful to me but I hate that people want you to justify your reasons for getting them to them. Who cares. I like that I can hide them all, some people don't know that I even have one. Can't wait to get more, I love decorating myself!

I have 5 - swallows on my feet, a rose on my left leg, a ship on my right leg and stars behind my ear. The stars were my first and were a Cancun moment so were just a bit of fun. The others are meaningful to me but I hate that people want you to justify your reasons for getting them to them. Who cares. I like that I can hide them all, some people don't know that I even have one. Can't wait to get more, I love decorating myself!

I hate it when ppl tell you that in ten years or w.e you will regret your tattoos. But on what you said i just explain them because they mean so much to me. :luv:

I have a relatively big one on my arm/shoulder. It contains an owl, a tree and two Latin words that represent a line of the bible. Its a very personal and meaningful tattoo, cause its about sides of my character, my hopes for my life and my past and struggles, it contains a lot, so every time when I look at it it reminds me of who I am. I got it when I was already 25 and I don`t think I will ever regret it. The decision took years, it was a wish I had for a very long time and I didn´t want it to be that obvious, so that people look at it/read it and think: "Ah well so thats what she´s all about" ;) So it needed a lot of thoughts and ideas to finally be done. I like simple tattoos, classic style, so the artwork itself wasn´t that hard in the end.

I plan 2 other tattoos, not more, not less. One bigger one and one smaller one. I will have one on the outside of my thigh, opposite side to the shoulder/armtattoo, so that I will have my left thigh and my right shoulder. I like the kind of balance that makes. And there will be one small thing in my neck. Its only because of the meaning mainly, its not meant to be highly decorative or visible, the others are both, decorative and meaningful. But the next tattoos have time, I don´t rush with that.

Its a bit addictive with the needles on your skin of course, so its not that I don`t understand people who just can´t get enough, but I think I won´t get my whole body tattoed, though I like it a lot on many girls and guys :)

I think some people just need to have tattoos, its not only a fashion trend I guess (for some maybe, but for many it is not). Its also a very emotional thing, having something that means a lot to you painted under and into your skin with needles. I loved the sessions for my first one, very ruminant hours in which I felt good and close to myself and happy in my body.

Yeah its definitely addictive! I plan so many in my head all the time. When I got the birds on my feet I made a promise to myself that I would never regret them, and have done so with the rest of my tattoos. Regret is a waste of time!

I've got one, and I like it :) it has no meaning, really. I don't think they need a meaning as long as you're happy with it. Does your lip ring have a meaning? Your hair colour? Your tan? Obviously tattoos are a bigger commitment, but they're still simply decoration for some.

Some people look amazing with full sleeves, and some people have horrid ones. It really depends! As a general rule, I think they're interesting and can be quite beautiful.

Though I am more the "meaningful-tattoo"-type, I agree with you SatelliteEyes. Sometimes it can be a permanent decoration and you´re happy with that all your life, cause it simply looks great and when it comes to fashion, which tattoos are part of - though not for everyone, it can be perfect if something just fits with the person who´s wearing it perfectly.

Though I am more the "meaningful-tattoo"-type, I agree with you SatelliteEyes. Sometimes it can be a permanent decoration and you´re happy with that all your life, cause it simply looks great and when it comes to fashion, which tattoos are part of - though not for everyone, it can be perfect if something just fits with the person who´s wearing it perfectly.

I have always wanted to walk into a tattoo place and look at their book and just pick a small lil one out of the book. :luv: :highfive:

I like tattoos, but most of the tattoos I see are dumb and tacky and ridiculous. I don't know, maybe I'm just being a judgemental asshole.

I have three, all of which are Very meaningful to me.

1. I was 19 I think, I got the words "I think of Dean Moriarty" on the back on my neck, in type writer font. It's the last line of the book "On the Road" which was a big part of my teenage life. It's a famous line, if you're into the Beatnik authors and such.

2. A couple years later I got "SMOKEY" done on my right wrist in a special font and design. Smokey was my (cat) absolute best friend. I got the tattoo while he was still alive, but he died a year or so later. It killed me.

3. Sept. 2010 I got some Bob Dylan lyrics across both of my feet, which hurt so bad it felt like something was terribly wrong. They say:

If today was not an endless highway
If tonight was not a crooked trail
It tomorrow wasn't such a long time

I have four. None are meaningful, they're just little designs which I've always liked. Three are on my torso so can be covered up, and one's on my foot. I'm planning to get some more, I'm just glad my chosen career doesn't mind visible tattoos, in case I ever get them in more noticeable places!

I had my tattoos done as depressed, screwed up, doped up:run: teenager and along with scars and such are something I would, if I could, leave behind. For now, while the laser removal still costs bazillion dollars if done right, I wear them with pride for overcoming the darkness that almost swallowed me at that times.
They are very creepy, very dark but done very well, so I don't think of them as of disfigurment, but I usually advise people not to do anything pernament still..

Go go laser development!