Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Yes, but I regret it!

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Maybe in the future...

Votes: 104 41.1%
  • Never, they are so tacky!

Votes: 60 23.7%

• Total voters
I am heavily tattooed... several smaller ones, a back piece that extends down over my hips, and a sizable one on my calf. I love ink.

It's beautiful but my vote is a solid no.

Here's why:

Placement - Ink does not last or wear well on hands and feet. It deteriorates rather quickly (look at Cara's lion). This would be compounded by the superfine line work. (I have a solidly lined one on my foot that I've had reinked three times - it's now a small patchy blob). Also hand tattoos are impossible to hide and, esp if you live in a conservative society or (want to) work in a business environment, they will limit your employment opportunities.

Fine/delicate line work - unless you are working with a highly skilled artist who specializes in delicate/fine lines the odds of a visible blowout or crooked line are extremely high... and even if you are the margin for error is as high as those lines are fine. Also longevity which I mentioned above. I know people with similarly fine tattoos who are experiencing fading/patchiness after less than two years and already looking at removal or coverups... and those arent even on their hands/feet.

I would also avoid any artist who doesn't explain these things to you before agreeing to ink you.

Ultimately the decision is your's to make but that's my two cents for what it's worth.
This is exactly the kind of insight that I needed and the things I was afraid of.

I haven’t even researched how badly something like this would age so thanks for opening my eyes. Actually, I just assumed that it would age just fine because that particular image is a work of Dr. Woo, -super famous and brilliant celebrities tattooist-, but I guess that doesn’t mean much (since you’re obviously right about Cara’s finger tattoo, and many other celebrities that have really bad tats despite going to excellent artists because they can afford them).

I’m such a perfectionist that if I ever get this and it turns out bad, I would want to cut my hand off or something lol.
Gonna forget about this, and think about something less risky.

Thank you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for bumping an old thread, I’m just curious about you girls’ opinion on this tattoo I want to get.
I know that tattoos are a very personal thing and that I shouldn’t base people’s opinions on whether or not to get it, but it’s simply because I know that you girls have the prettiest and classiest tastes in everything and are also brutally honest so your opinion might be helpful since I’m still very hesitant. I want to get this, same placement, same everything:

View attachment 28401

This would be my first tattoo ever. I just thought this is such a cool and unique design while still being very delicate and simple. I want it so bad but I’m at the same time terrified of regretting it someday. What do you girls think?

I do like the design a lot, but, as already said, I'm not sure about the placement - because of career options and because I personally don't like my tattoo to be shown too much - and also you would have to find a really really good tattoo artist!
I have one tattoo only, and I designed it myself because I already had in my head the idea of how I wanted it to look and I wasn't sure the inker could actually understand my needs. So, either you draw it yourself, or I don't know, just maybe think about it a little longer?
Like getting it on your back could be perfect!
Let us know what you decide and post a picture whenever you're getting it done :p

Sorry for bumping an old thread, I’m just curious about you girls’ opinion on this tattoo I want to get.
I know that tattoos are a very personal thing and that I shouldn’t base people’s opinions on whether or not to get it, but it’s simply because I know that you girls have the prettiest and classiest tastes in everything and are also brutally honest so your opinion might be helpful since I’m still very hesitant. I want to get this, same placement, same everything:

View attachment 28401

This would be my first tattoo ever. I just thought this is such a cool and unique design while still being very delicate and simple. I want it so bad but I’m at the same time terrified of regretting it someday. What do you girls think?

It seems like you've already changed your mind, which I'm honestly glad to hear. I have seven tattoos myself, and most reputable places absolutely refuse to tattoo your face, hands*, or neck unless you're already completely covered in ink, because those areas are so visible and basically impossible to hide. I think I've mentioned it on the forum before, but they call tattoos in those places "job killers" because they're going to be the first thing any potential employer looks at. One of my friends has her head tattooed, and she most places still wouldn't consider tattooing her in those places.

*The exception seems to be small finger tattoos, or things on the wrist. Those seem to be mainstream enough that you can get away with them, but I'd still be wary.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe a silly question -- I want a large piece that wraps around my forearm but that part of my body is 100% bone. My first tattoo was on my ribs (~30min) and it was the worst pain I've experienced, so I am worried about sitting for 2+ hours on a similarly bony part of my body.

If it helps, I also have a medium sized piece on one inner arm and a large-ish one on the outer part of my other arm. Skinnies of the world, give me your tattoo wisdom!!

Maybe a silly question -- I want a large piece that wraps around my forearm but that part of my body is 100% bone. My first tattoo was on my ribs (~30min) and it was the worst pain I've experienced, so I am worried about sitting for 2+ hours on a similarly bony part of my body.

If it helps, I also have a medium sized piece on one inner arm and a large-ish one on the outer part of my other arm. Skinnies of the world, give me your tattoo wisdom!!

The forearm is cake, if you already have ink don't sweat it... It's easier than the inner-arm, elbows hurt like hell.... but NOTHING is worse than the ribs except, maybe, breastbone. I have two small tattoos on my ribs and they were, legit, the most painful 20 minutes of my entire life.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
The forearm is cake, if you already have ink don't sweat it... It's easier than the inner-arm, elbows hurt like hell.... but NOTHING is worse than the ribs except, maybe, breastbone. I have two small tattoos on my ribs and they were, legit, the most painful 20 minutes of my entire life.

Not agreed - I have one small, simple text tattoo on the left side of my ribs. It pinched, yes, but wasn't THAT bad, took about an hour. The worst parts were when the needle poked in-between the bones, I admit. It was stick n poke though, so maybe it feels a bit different than regular types of tattoos, since it's my only one? I've also heard that it hurts the closer you get to the spine/back.

Not agreed - I have one small, simple text tattoo on the left side of my ribs. It pinched, yes, but wasn't THAT bad, took about an hour. The worst parts were when the needle poked in-between the bones, I admit. It was stick n poke though, so maybe it feels a bit different than regular types of tattoos, since it's my only one? I've also heard that it hurts the closer you get to the spine/back.

I have quite a few tattoos... one is a massive back piece and the spine did get uncomfortable in places, especially when doing color vs outlining... but it was still easier than the two on my ribs. None of the ink I have on my arms hurt enough to really comment on.

In my experience shading hurts a lot more than the line work. But granted, the part of the body, design, and personal tolerance is a factor.

Is it the back of your forearm or inside? I'm assuming it's the back of your forearm since there is more bone haha

• Agree
I admit. It was stick n poke though, so maybe it feels a bit different than regular types of tattoos,

I have a few stick and pokes and a few normal tattoos and the normal tattoos hurt A LOT more. Stick and pokes feel like nothing to me.

• Useful
Is it the back of your forearm or inside? I'm assuming it's the back of your forearm since there is more bone haha

I want it to wrap, so it's front, back, and side. I have the forearms of a bird (wish the rest of my body would follow suit), so it's pretty much just skin stretched over a narrow bone. I'm conflicted because the piece would be pretty expensive, so I want to be able to sit without flinching.

Agreed with the stick and pokes, I actually have two tiny ones on each ankle and I barely felt them.

i love tattoos on other people but i dont think i want one. if i ever got one, id get either a henna style hand tattoo, (but hand tattoos dont last very long) or lace tattoo.
Henna-tattoo-72.jpg
98f555591d921cafd85a9b4c5cf8b0dd.jpg

not feelin the butt crack here but that tattoo tho
lace-tattoo-20.jpg

• Agree
Conversely, I have lots of small/thin tattoos, bordering on sleeve level but all very tiny -- my hand tattoos are actually my favorites and the favorites of everyone around me, especially strangers and oddly enough, older women! They've worn very well so far, not painful at all, but I definitely agree to find an artist that can do it properly. My least favorite tattoos are all the ones I got randomly at shops, I now have a couple artist friends and will only have them do work on me.

Speaking of which, has anyone had coverups done before? I want to get rid of my earlier pieces that were not done by said artists (lol) and some are too large to get removed. I'd rather not have them but would also rather have more of a bold/prominent tattoo that I love rather than something i'm apathetic about. Any insight on how easy/difficult this would be would be super appreciated

Conversely, I have lots of small/thin tattoos, bordering on sleeve level but all very tiny -- my hand tattoos are actually my favorites and the favorites of everyone around me, especially strangers and oddly enough, older women! They've worn very well so far, not painful at all, but I definitely agree to find an artist that can do it properly. My least favorite tattoos are all the ones I got randomly at shops, I now have a couple artist friends and will only have them do work on me.

Speaking of which, has anyone had coverups done before? I want to get rid of my earlier pieces that were not done by said artists (lol) and some are too large to get removed. I'd rather not have them but would also rather have more of a bold/prominent tattoo that I love rather than something i'm apathetic about. Any insight on how easy/difficult this would be would be super appreciated

How long have you had your hand tattoos? And are they also fine line work?

How big/solid are the ones you want covered? I've not had a cover up done but I've thought about it and my cousin has... I'd approach it as a collaboration and come with with a concept, rather than a solid design you're determined to have... if you are wanting wolf, or flowers, or whatever, take the idea to the artist and work with them to come up with a design that will cover effectively but that you'll be happy wearing.

And girl I feel you on the poorly researched/thought out tattoos by random artists... I have an anatomically incorrect spider and green blob on my foot as a result of this.

How long have you had your hand tattoos? And are they also fine line work?

How big/solid are the ones you want covered? I've not had a cover up done but I've thought about it and my cousin has... I'd approach it as a collaboration and come with with a concept, rather than a solid design you're determined to have... if you are wanting wolf, or flowers, or whatever, take the idea to the artist and work with them to come up with a design that will cover effectively but that you'll be happy wearing.

And girl I feel you on the poorly researched/thought out tattoos by random artists... I have an anatomically incorrect spider and green blob on my foot as a result of this.
I've had them for only a few years, theyre very fine but havent had any problems with bleeding/initial fading like some have (a friend on her foot tattoos immediately started bleeding, the ink did)

I have one main pretty big one on my thigh, not my entire thigh or anything but fairly large with some solid portions. It's rough, i've gotten a few referrals of artists from friends that do more solid work that I'll probably try to collaborate with it on once it doesnt feel like a waste of money lol

Saw this on one of my favorite tattoo artists’ instagram (Rachel Hauer if you’re interested) and immediately saved it. Those legs!
102F4DA4-8DB8-4F7E-B80B-CCEEAA123ED7.jpeg

• Love
I have a small stick and poke from when I was about sixteen-a black ellipsis on my hip. I originally intended to post a photo of it here, but after taking a picture I realized it desperately needs to be touched up.
I do want more tattoos, but I tend to be incredibly indecisive when thinking about it. Recently I fell in love with the idea of getting a matching tattoo with my two siblings. At present I do not know what kind of tattoo we could all get, but I'm hoping an idea will eventually come.

Bumping this thread up because I'll be getting two tattoos by the end of this year (for now). Both of them will have a meaning.

I always wanted to get a tattoo since, to me, they were (and still are) an art. I always wanted to get tattooed some really dark stuff. But I'm thankful I let some years pass by since I now think completely differently.

As most people, I went through some hard stuff. I got out of them and I wanted to make tattoos that symbolized those hardships and me getting out of them. But, as years passed, and are passing by, I realized I don't want to remember them. We change, and so does our life. I want to get tattooed something that is constant in my life.

My current stance is that tattoos truly are a piece of art and I don't think they need to have a meaning. They can simply decorate a body-make it more beautiful (like clothes, jewerly, makeup etc.).

No matter how open we become, as a society, people will always judge people who have them. So I believe everyone should keep in mind what kind of picture they portray to the outside world.

Most of the tattoos I have seen are either ugly or tacky-the owner of them and the tattoo almost always go together. :disgusted:

I find this kind of tattoos really beautiful and tasteful (ignore the tacky nails):
Screenshot_20220513-095207_Pinterest.jpg
Screenshot_20220513-095211_Pinterest.jpg
Screenshot_20220513-095308_Pinterest.jpg
They are not particularly unique or complicated, but they are simple, relatively small and discreet.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users