• Yes, but I regret it!

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Maybe in the future...

Votes: 104 41.1%
  • Never, they are so tacky!

Votes: 60 23.7%

• Total voters
photo7.jpg

LOVE IT. So freeking badass! I want some sort of skeleton pinup girl on my left bicep eventually....

I'm actually going to start tattooing (more as a hobby than a career).

I have one so far, the dark mark from Harry Potter on my left forearm. I found a design I liked and redrew it to make a decent tattoo.

I'm a major geek, so I'm planning quite a few more... from Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, an Anne Rice quote, Game of Thrones/Song of Ice an Fire, and a few more along those lines. I find that fantasy worlds/literature mean a lot to me and shaped the way I grew up. I need tattoos that mean something to me, but I can understand having something purely for decorative purposes.

I'm also planning a large chest piece with a cameo in the middle, and a woman from a piece of art I like inside. Possibly a Mucha piece, or Venus by Botticelli.

I have one so far, the dark mark from Harry Potter on my left forearm. I found a design I liked and redrew it to make a decent tattoo.

I'm a major geek, so I'm planning quite a few more... from Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, an Anne Rice quote, Game of Thrones/Song of Ice an Fire, and a few more along those lines. I find that fantasy worlds/literature mean a lot to me and shaped the way I grew up. I need tattoos that mean something to me, but I can understand having something purely for decorative purposes.

I'm also planning a large chest piece with a cameo in the middle, and a woman from a piece of art I like inside. Possibly a Mucha piece, or Venus by Botticelli.
Ohmigoodness, I've been wanting the Deathly Hallows symbol and the traveling song from The Hobbit for, like, ever haha! Geeks unite lol

@skinnylittle_haole The whole thing? Or a specific part of it? I was thinking of getting the white tree of Gondor on my foot, and on the other the first stanza of "all that is gold does not glitter". I'd like the whole poem, but I don't think it'll fit on there ;D

I have soooo many HP tattoos that I want. It's difficult to choose. People have even gotten "I must not tell lies" on the back of their hand with white ink. Not sure I'd do that, but the geek in me is ecstatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
@skinnylittle_haole The whole thing? Or a specific part of it? I was thinking of getting the white tree of Gondor on my foot, and on the other the first stanza of "all that is gold does not glitter". I'd like the whole poem, but I don't think it'll fit on there ;D

I have soooo many HP tattoos that I want. It's difficult to choose. People have even gotten "I must not tell lies" on the back of their hand with white ink. Not sure I'd do that, but the geek in me is ecstatic.
Haha I've seen that (I must not tell lies)
And I'd love the whole thing (the road goes on and on, down from the door where it began...) on my ribs, but it might be too much for me haha! I don't want too many tats lol

I have one tattoo, on my hip. It is a dove, I got it on my 18th birthday.

It represents peace with myself and with my body. I went through a pretty serious eating disorder and eventually became depressed and would self harm. I had to cut on my hip because I played water polo/was on swim team and that was the only part of my body that was almost always covered. So that's where I got my tattoo.

This is what it looks like:
123qo79.png

I'm very happy with it :)

The ONLY thing I don't like is that I can still see the scars from me cutting myself so its really awkward when friends are like I WANT TO SEE YOUR TATTOO because I have all these red marks below it. oh well.

Holy crap sorry to double post on this thread but the dark mark as a tattoo is amazing. And so does something from LOTR and Doctor Who and Game of Thrones oh my gosh if you do those anytime soon I'd really like to see how they turn out

skinnylittle_haole: Oh, man. Ribs are supposed to be so painful. Then again, text shouldn't be so bad. You should definitely post pics if you get it! Sounds awesome =D

LittleMissWolf: That's a nice dove. Neat linework. I love to hear stories behind people's tats. I used to self harm on my arms mostly, the scars have faded but there are still ridges, and I get a lot of awkward questions (especially from children...). But I think the best thing is to moisturize the area to reduce the redness, with raw shea or cocoa butter. You may still have ridges, but they won't be so obvious.

I was so psyched to get my dark mark! My tattoo artist sucked, but I still love it! I'm going to touch it up myself when I get adjusted to my machine. As for Doctor Who, I found an awesome tardis tattoo that I NEED. And I'm a huggggeee Targaryen fan, so a three headed dragon with "Fire and Blood" beneath it.

Ahhhh, now I'm so excited =) Oh, man, this is too much geekiness for one post.

I'll definitely post some pictures. I have a crappy one of my dark mark currently. The shading desperately needs to be fixed, it needs to be relined, ect... ugh cheap tattoo, cheap results, right?

dark_mark_by_sins0mnia-d3ama1l.jpg

I love huge my tattoo, which takes up a quarter of my back and upper left shoulder. It's meaningful and I don't regret it, but there are times when I have covered with makeup, like when I was in a wedding. I don't want to look like a shot of whisky at a champagne toast.

I have one small tattoo on the inside of my wrist. It's the phrase "Nolite te bastardes carborundorum." It means "Don't let the bastards grind you down," and it's from my favorite Margaret Atwood book, The Handmaid's Tale. I look at it whenever I'm feeling stressed, or like I need to shut up the external and even internal voices that weaken me. I thought about this tattoo for about 2 years before finally deciding I wanted it - just didn't want to do something I'd regret. Totally, 100% worth it! I'd say, if you have something that's particularly meaningful to you, think about it for at least a year, because tattoos are both expensive and PERMANENT! Also, picture it on your 80 year-old saggy body - that's a pretty good litmus test, IMO.

Ooh - and to clarify, I don't have the entire long phrase. I just have the initials, NTBC. People ask what it is and I usually just say it's from a book I read, because I don't want to get into it with them, and hear their opinions. Which I guess is sort of ironic, given the message of the actual tattoo!

It's meaningful and I don't regret it, but there are times when I have covered with makeup, like when I was in a wedding. I don't want to look like a shot of whisky at a champagne toast.

Haha well said. I haven't covered mine up yet but I can think of times where I would. Still don't regret them, though.

I'm considering to get a tattoo. A little tiny feather on my wrist. Because I want to stop thinking and brooding about things. A feather symbolizes lightness and on my wrist I can see it every day and it will remind me to not take everything so seriously.

What do you think?
I like this feather a lot but it's a little bit too big already for me:
10806310_3c1MtjBg_c.jpg

I was thinking about a size that should be able to cover up with some bracelets or a wristwatch.

What do you guys think?

OMG I just found out about this whole feather craze. Shit. I thought this was a good idea.

OMG I just found out about this whole feather craze. Shit. I thought this was a good idea.

If it feels right to you, it doesn't matter if it's a trend or not. I have four tattoos so far, each unique to me not because of the subject matter, but because I drew them all up myself and they mean enough to me to have them permanently affixed to my body.

With that said, I have a wrist tattoo and I love it. I don't ever really need to cover it, but a thick bracelet or chunky wristwatch would do the trick if I did. But it is a deeply meaningful tattoo to me and I don't care if everyone knows I have it or not, haha. It is a very special reminder to me every day.

171012_538974314718_1751564_o.jpg

If it feels right to you, it doesn't matter if it's a trend or not. I have four tattoos so far, each unique to me not because of the subject matter, but because I drew them all up myself and they mean enough to me to have them permanently affixed to my body.

With that said, I have a wrist tattoo and I love it. I don't ever really need to cover it, but a thick bracelet or chunky wristwatch would do the trick if I did. But it is a deeply meaningful tattoo to me and I don't care if everyone knows I have it or not, haha. It is a very special reminder to me every day.

171012_538974314718_1751564_o.jpg

Hmm, it does. And I only found that the feather is popular in America, not in Germany. I guess I will go to a tatto studio and talk to the pepole there.

I really like your tattoo. I wish I could draw, but even my stickmans look like drawn from a 4-year old ;)
Do you want to share the meaning or is it too personal?

Hmm, it does. And I only found that the feather is popular in America, not in Germany. I guess I will go to a tatto studio and talk to the pepole there.

I really like your tattoo. I wish I could draw, but even my stickmans look like drawn from a 4-year old ;)
Do you want to share the meaning or is it too personal?

That tattoo is a memorial. I lost a dearly loved student of mine at age 17 to cancer about 4 years ago (can't believe it's been that long already!). There are 17 petals on that sunflower, and in the last letter she wrote before her death, she asked that every time we saw a sunflower, to think of her.

I'm a skating coach, and that particular student was not only one of my first students as a fairly new coach, but also a kid who used to follow me around when I was an amateur skater myself - I had known her since she was basically learning how to walk. To say that I loved her is no understatement - when she died, I felt like I lost my own child somehow, with all the years we had spent together and love and work I had poured into her. I was very close to her and spent countless hours with her, teaching her and listening when she had a bad day, encouraging her and helping her reach her goals.

Ultimately, she was a 17 year old kid who died with more dignity and grace than I think anyone three times her age could easily accomplish. In her last days of life, she spent that time teaching us how to survive losing her. She had me come to say goodbye and share our last memories together and pass on her wisdom about two days before she passed...and that experience was the single most brutal and amazing thing I have ever been through. Having that chance for her to say what she needed to say, and for me to have the opportunity to tell her I loved her and that she changed my whole life was invaluable.

I buried her alongside her family and her two best friends held my hands on a cold winter day.

That tattoo reminds me of the smiling girl who was so beautiful when she skated, who blessed me with the opportunity to teach something I truly loved to someone with equal passion for it as I had, who taught me as much about myself and how to be good to those around me as I ever taught her (if not more), who was always awake and alive to new adventures, and who gave me the gift of confidence to truly lead without doubting my ability to do so. She was incredible.

I see that tattoo every day, and I wanted it because every day I wanted to be reminded that I carry her with me. It reminds me to "live fiercely" (her final instructions to those who loved her), to love like I've forgotten the pain of loss, to cherish the kids who allow me to assist them towards their goals and share their lives with me, to be a role model regardless of if I feel qualified to be one or not, do do things with passion, and to stop and enjoy the memories of her that I have whenever I see sunflowers.

@salander
that is so moving. She seems like a very smart and clever kid. It's so sad to lose someone close at that young age but it's priceless to have had someone like her in your life. Even though she's not around anymore you share so many memories with her and it seems like she truly enriched your life.

Reactions: 1 user
I have two in old school/rockabilly style. It's just my thing and I wouldn't want to miss either of them. I dream of getting my whole arm done one day, up from shoulder down to the wrist, and my thighs but only after I made them look presentable to the world. :nervous:

I've gotten a tattoo since the last time I posted on this thread. I think it's been about a year, and I still love it.

I definitely want more.