State of the Fashion Industry

tiny-dancer

Worker Bee
Sep 2, 2013
Maybe because I hate the world in general lately :lol: but I'm so sick of fashion in general (I actually worked in a related field before, and the people really are just as self-important/uptight as you'd imagine, save for some really lovely, lovely folks)

Fashion is so ridiculous lately. I feel as though most everything being created is so obnoxious and glaringly hideous. All of those Kenzo and Givenchy tops were bad enough, but when I saw that recent Jeremy Scott/Moschino collar (McDonalds????), I was like GOODBYE.

Everyone milling around the streets during FW is dressed so absurdly. Save for the armies of fashion bloggers, all other passerby are like :disgusted: Whatever happened to pretty clothes? Only a few designers are sticking to aesthetics that aren't complete eyesores (Chloe, Mulberry, Stella McCartney, Valentino, and many of the French brands)

And I feel like there are just SO MANY [more] MODELS lately. Girls don't even make it past a handful of seasons anymore. Pick a few that you like and stop shaping that entire industry into some cheap 24-hour turnaround service. They're human beings, not makeup wipes, Jesus.

Reactions: 1 users
Been feeling like this the past 2 years. But fashion is only a "hobby" and not my livelihood, so once I realized how much of the marketing I bought into, I was out. Like any business, it is very much a business, and you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. As a clinician, I've realized I'll probably never have the opportunity to wear outlandish clothes on a regular basis -- so I am very much judging style bloggers who were the weirdest shit to the grocery store? to buy coffee? to walk around for no reason? just to peddle their C/O items and swindle people into clicking their links.

If you work in fashion, my utmost respect goes to you for being good at what you do. I very much appreciate fashion as an art form, but I can't appreciate the attention-mongrels who distract from all the talent. But otherwise, not much has interested me in terms of 'trends' -- I already know what I like and don't like, and I'm not going to hop aboard the trendtrain because all the other sheep did it too.

Td;dr - bloggers ruin fashion for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Fashion is so ridiculous lately. I feel as though most everything being created is so obnoxious and glaringly hideous.

Everyone milling around the streets during FW is dressed so absurdly. Save for the armies of fashion bloggers, all other passerby are like :disgusted: Whatever happened to pretty clothes? Only a few designers are sticking to aesthetics that aren't complete eyesores (Chloe, Mulberry, Stella McCartney, Valentino, and many of the French brands)

I am very much judging style bloggers who were the weirdest shit to the grocery store? to buy coffee? to walk around for no reason? just to peddle their C/O items and swindle people into clicking their links.
bloggers ruin fashion for me.

:highfive: :highfive:

As a clinician, I've realized I'll probably never have the opportunity to wear outlandish clothes on a regular basis -- so I am very much judging style bloggers who were the weirdest shit to the grocery store? to buy coffee? to walk around for no reason? just to peddle their C/O items and swindle people into clicking their links.

I used to look at lookbook.nu and often wondered the same thing. Do those people really go out like that? Or do they just stand by the road and take pictures and then go change into real clothes? I don't care how put-together/on trend some of them look, I would feel embarrassed leaving the house. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon...

I look at my style icons and they all dress kind of classically. I hate anything that exudes a sense of "I'm trying very hard to be fashionable and make this work" which pretty much the point of style-blogging...

I hope some of these people look back on their gettups and get a good laugh out of it someday.

so many of these things resonate with me--fashion 'bloggers' (the vast majority) appear to be in costume to me, and generally are more obsessed with being known/seen, which leads to their outlandish and often unnecessarily flamboyant (in price too) clothing. Fashion has been a bit weird and certainly more trend-oriented since social media became even more prevalent (instagram, twitter, etc.) allowed businesses to profit from unpaid advertising.

Whoops, I just realized how many typos/autocorrects are in my posts. My bad :oops:
Wear*** not were, obviously

:lol::lol::lol: I came across a gorgeous calf-length, full skirt in a thrift store that I really love, but my first thought was, "How can I pull this off without looking like some second-rate fashion blogger?"

Happy to see this thread. :highfive:

I sometimes find fashion a bit sad. I've come across a few blogs and those that work in fashion (only online, don't actually know anyone in fashion) and it just seems as though having the latest Celine piece is the most important thing. I used to admire how put together these girls look, how lovely their stuff is. Then I realised that they get sent free merchandise all the time, their paid to promote this, look like this and that etc. Don't get me wrong I love fashion very much but it seems as though we're constantly being told to follow fashion trends. Notice how they all seem to have the same 'must have' piece? I used to think it was funny because I could spot a top and know immediately where it was from and see a few girls with the same top an hour later. It felt like these girls belonged to an exclusive group and I wanted to be in it. A lot of these girls have the same things and I now realize that most of these don't fit me well and I'd rather wear high quality classic pieces.

Ugh, this "normcore" shit is just :confused:

tumblr_n35l54wdlR1sbdxw4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3221mhAYl1sbdxw4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2zqdmHYx71sbdxw4o1_1280.jpg

I do not understand the appeal of having a wardrobe that looks like it was purchased entirely from CVS...

Ugh, this "normcore" shit is just :confused:

tumblr_n35l54wdlR1sbdxw4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3221mhAYl1sbdxw4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2zqdmHYx71sbdxw4o1_1280.jpg

I do not understand the appeal of having a wardrobe that looks like it was purchased entirely from CVS...

Normcore is the worst. All the rich New York kids at my school wear really ugly new balances and terrible jeans and just...awful. :run:

Normcore is the worst. All the rich New York kids at my school wear really ugly new balances and terrible jeans and just...awful. :run:

i think that you can pull off 'normal' clothing so much better; this just looks contrived and purposefully ironic. normcore is the millenium's dada--a movement paradoxically based on not being a 'trend' or movement (hopefully it will self destruct in the same way). Seriously, I don't understand why someone can't wear something 'normal,' but at least get it to be tailored and fitted properly, or pair it with things that compliment (eg. NOT wearing new balance WITH a chunky knit and mom-jeans, but maybe wearing boots and a more slim-fit sweater with said jeans as well) Pardon the rant, I've just decided that staying 'trendy' in fashion is a fools errand anyways since the most fashionable people in my own personal opinion are those that transcend each 'fad' and look great through all of them (take sofia coppola for example)

i think that you can pull off 'normal' clothing so much better; this just looks contrived and purposefully ironic. normcore is the millenium's dada--a movement paradoxically based on not being a 'trend' or movement (hopefully it will self destruct in the same way). Seriously, I don't understand why someone can't wear something 'normal,' but at least get it to be tailored and fitted properly, or pair it with things that compliment (eg. NOT wearing new balance WITH a chunky knit and mom-jeans, but maybe wearing boots and a more slim-fit sweater with said jeans as well) Pardon the rant, I've just decided that staying 'trendy' in fashion is a fools errand anyways since the most fashionable people in my own personal opinion are those that transcend each 'fad' and look great through all of them (take sofia coppola for example)

Fashionable =/= trendy. I've given up on looking "trendy" because my fashion sense is generally understated and casual. I can't (and won't) compete with those who choose to go out with flashy everything. Sometimes I feel so "basic" and like I should up my game, but no one has ever openly opposed/challenged me in terms of what I know about fit/styling/fashion etc anyway. I guess I'm just so comfortable with what I wear that I don't see it as being "fashionable" anymore. It's just part of my daily uniform :/

Fashionable =/= trendy. I've given up on looking "trendy" because my fashion sense is generally understated and casual. I can't (and won't) compete with those who choose to go out with flashy everything. Sometimes I feel so "basic" and like I should up my game, but no one has ever openly opposed/challenged me in terms of what I know about fit/styling/fashion etc anyway. I guess I'm just so comfortable with what I wear that I don't see it as being "fashionable" anymore. It's just part of my daily uniform :/

To be honest, I love the 'chic uniform' look, take Sofia Coppola's, Carolina Herrera's, or even Audrey Hepburn or Coco Chanel. Each of them had a unique, distinct style, yet were very classic, and wore similar things a vast majority of the time (crisp shirts and blouses, well tailored trousers, a midi skirt, a suit or 'boy jacket' in coppola's case, etc.) :highfive:

I honestly can't tell the difference between tourists and normcore enthusiasts if it wasn't for the latters' BMIs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user