Starving In Suburbia

Fremdschämen

Community Duchess
Sep 21, 2013
USA
Did anyone else watch this? It's the type of overdramatic, poorly acted Lifetime social commentary garbage I can't get enough of.

I had mixed emotions about it. I struggled with anorexia for a good part of my life and at times it felt like promotion and then her "recovery" period was way too short. It took me almost a year after my last relapse to get to my current/still very skinny weight. Otherwise I thought that some of the thoughts Hannah had tended to be spot on. I wished that they had focused more on her growth toward anorexia because of the family dynamic and other stressors instead of just the website. But I agreed still very addicting to watch and I gain a weird sense of accomplishment since her "gw" was higher than my current recovered weight. :grin:

I haven't heard of it, whats it about?
It was about a girl named Hannah who is a dancer starting to prep for her senior year of high school. One of her dancer friends shows her a thinspiration website and Hannah becomes addicted to it. She creates a username "SKINimIN" and is mentored by the creator of the site ButterflyAna. She starts excessive workouts then 500 to 200 to 0 calorie diets until her parents make her start treatment. The majority of the movie is an inner monologue of Hannah's emotions to her anorexia and her inner demon that is ButterflyAna. Typical lifetime over emotional drama with sub-par acting.

I have to admit, I do love a cheesy Lifetime movie, especially when they have terrible titles like this one. It was okay, although they made Hannah turn slightly too Exorcist for my liking... she honestly looks like she is possessed at one point.

Fun fact:
If you type in the website she went to in the beginning of the movie (anathinspiration.com) it takes you to mylifetime.com (or at least it did for me)

:lol:

OMG thank you!! :kiss:

Did anyone else watch this? It's the type of overdramatic, poorly acted Lifetime social commentary garbage I can't get enough of.

Haha true that - I thought it was interesting and different how they brought in the brother, but I thought the ending was stupid and the whole "possessed online" stuff was strange. I don't know - they made it out that sites turn girls into anorexics when in reality there is a lot more to it than that. Also I thought the mother was overly dramatic and hysterical, but that may just be me.

lol the horror movie scene with the butterflies coming out of the closet with the scary music, hysterical screaming mom :lol: I didn't like the fact they tried to mix a little bit of suspense in this

Those damn clichés... I've stopped when her brother died, and started to be bored long before that (when she's begun to look like a zombie, I think).

lol the horror movie scene with the butterflies coming out of the closet with the scary music, hysterical screaming mom :lol: I didn't like the fact they tried to mix a little bit of suspense in this

But OMG it's the worst thing ever - there's food in the closet, AHHHH :rolleyes:

The mom is pathetic, the girl is more like a cult follower than anything, and it was waaay too cliché.

Tried to watch it, failed.

On a related note, Isabella Miko who stars in this movie, put that on her Instagram:

"It's a proven fact that most men like curves and don't want to be poked in the eyes with your collarbone. #FashionIndustry unfortunately decided that clothes "hang" better on sticks, but we don't have to follow their crazy logic like sheep, so let's fill up those clothes with some deliciousness:)"
Just shut the hell up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If I hear once more person sharing "When did this became hotter than this" and saying that "men love curves"... :chair:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 5.55.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 5.55.29 AM.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 5.54.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 5.54.55 AM.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 213
Tried to watch it, failed.

On a related note, Isabella Miko who stars in this movie, put that on her Instagram:

"It's a proven fact that most men like curves and don't want to be poked in the eyes with your collarbone. #FashionIndustry unfortunately decided that clothes "hang" better on sticks, but we don't have to follow their crazy logic like sheep, so let's fill up those clothes with some deliciousness:)"
Just shut the hell up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If I hear once more person sharing "When did this became hotter than this" and saying that "men love curves"... :chair:

I read an interview with her where she said that she had struggled with eating disorder in the past. Not that I'm trying to defend these stupid cliche statements, but I guess it might be her way of coping?

OMG thank you!! :kiss:

Haha true that - I thought it was interesting and different how they brought in the brother, but I thought the ending was stupid and the whole "possessed online" stuff was strange. I don't know - they made it out that sites turn girls into anorexics when in reality there is a lot more to it than that. Also I thought the mother was overly dramatic and hysterical, but that may just be me.

No I thought she was over the top too, especially when she was screaming in her daughter's closet. :rolleyes: I thought it was funny how she looks at the site and literally one day later suddenly becomes anorexic. It was kind of ridiculous but I have to admit that these type of movies are a guilty pleasure.

Reactions: 1 user
No I thought she was over the top too, especially when she was screaming in her daughter's closet. :rolleyes: I thought it was funny how she looks at the site and literally one day later suddenly becomes anorexic. It was kind of ridiculous but I have to admit that these type of movies are a guilty pleasure.

I too am obsessed with bad ED movies. Ugh, but the way they portrayed it made it seem as if the site was solely responsible for her having an ED. Also made it seem as though people with EDs are somewhat delusional with the exorcist-y scenes. Other pet peeve was that when the therapist diagnosed her with EDNOS, she didn't explain why it was that and not anorexia. W/e, too many things issues to pick at haha.