Stage wear!

S

salander

Alright, I am currently obsessed with updating my stage clothing. While I usually make a fair amount of what I wear while I'm on stage (especially since much of it is hard to find/try on before purchasing/really costs way more than I want to spend when I can sew it for much less/would need to be altered or customized anyway), I'm chasing some ideas.

I joined a new band (!!!) and I have a MAJOR performance coming up in May (we are opening for an international tour coming to our area at an incredible venue). I need to start refining the wardrobe now, especially since plans to tour (for us) are in the works and usually I just need to be ready to go for that sort of stuff, there will be lots of shows and you can't really do the same thing too often, plus it takes time to purchase/make what I need. My plan is to come up with 5-6 new wardrobe pieces before May so I can have something a little "new" for the new band (and because this one requires even darker clothing styles than my previous ones, haha), and then make them. While I have an impressive amount of stage wear as it stands, this requires something even more dark (can you get darker than black?), more tough, and way more scary looking - while still looking hot.

The band is as dark and heavy as electronic music can get. Seriously, it's industrial music (think Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, Combichrist, Skinny Puppy - heavy pummeling beats that hit you in the chest, absolutely overdriven, shredded synth sounds (my job!), electric guitar, drums and tons of electronic noise, distorted vocals, etc.). I'm the only female in this scene locally, it's extremely male-dominated even at the most well-known levels, so I don't exactly have many style models to work with here that are fellow musicians. My all male bandmates are unlikely to be useful outside of "look like you belong on stage with us", and be pretty and scary at the same time.

So, I put my query to you: channel your inner rock star, and show me what you would wear in my position. Get crazy with it. Join the dark side. Let your angsty teenager come out and play from your short lived "goth" period. Give me things that scream "dark scary chick who will mess you up" to you. Make me look sexy and terrifying, throw any insane suggestions you have out there - I'm pretty open to almost anything minus heading up there naked. I can give some reference photos of other bands with similar styles if you need them (or you can Google the ones I listed, that would work too), but I'd love to see where you ladies run with things. I am totally crowd-sourcing so that this gets better than ever.

If it sweetens the deal at all, I'll post pictures/videos from the show after it happens as well as photos of the haul I end up with. But help me out, please! :)

Okay, since I've had no replies, I'm officially turning this thread into a compendium of stuff I really like and intend to make or purchase. :) Enjoy the pictures of the silly stuff I'm using as inspiration or as part of my wardrobe if you stop by. Feedback is welcome.

tumblr_mc1k35MEMc1r72go4o2_1280.png

Womens-Buckle-Trench.jpg

$T2eC16N,!ygE9s7HHq5RBRZQOhgTG!~~60_3.JPG

tumblr_lvp6bpNsQv1qhj55ho1_500.jpg

tumblr_lvdlzyk3sx1qhj55ho1_500.jpg

The+Antagonist.jpg

tumblr_lryzwmf3lw1qhj55ho1_500.jpg

S-PLEASER-ELECTRA-2042-BOOTS-B-2T.jpg

$T2eC16V,!ysE9sy0iOZ8BRSKSIbk2w~~60_12.JPG

I am done spamming my own thread - thanks for letting me get that out of my system. I've borrowed from about 4 subcultures, a load of bands, movies, etc., but I think I'm definitely a rivethead at heart and I do hope I can reflect that on stage. :)

If it makes you feel any better... I thoroughly enjoyed looking through this!

So, I might not be the best person to weight-in on this (my personal style is soooo different), here goes!

For stage wear, idk, but I'd avoid any sort of mini skirt. Even though you are quite small, the thing is, I don't think what works for real life will work with potentially bright lighting.

If you gowithyour bare legs, you'll end up looking like a white spot from afar. And from up close, well... Wardrobe malfunctions...

Since you are skinny (I think you are? I didn't look at your stats in a while?), I think you should go for a layered, heavy look: big boots, skinny jeans, awesome jacket. Have a cool top underneath for when you get hot.

I'd go for big accessories- take something that will make your outfit appealing to people nearby, but is still generally visible from afar. E.g., a large bracelet with some sort of design. that way, you look neither costume-y to people standing close, nor boring to people far away.

Actually, you probably are already a pro, but plan your hair according to what you will wear. If I was wearing an intricate stage costume I'd put my hair in an updo, appropriately styled of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Perusing through the pictures again:

Avoid cotton-like material like hell. Looks cheap, you'll sweat in it. Go for materials that have a texture/ depth to them. Pick something that will be interesting under various lighting: leather for example has a nice reflection, not harsh at all.

If you go for all black clothing, a play on different materials/ reflections is super important.

And avoid going for all-grey pieces. For your scene, my default assumption when I see someone wearing something that is not perfectly black, is that the clothes were not washed properly and have lost hey original color. Not a good look. Unless it is clearly an accent.

I guess Ithe one spamming this thread now!!!

:-D

OK, first of all, I love that you are such a rockstar : )
Maybe this is nothing like you have thought of, but I saw those pics and immediately thought of Taylor Momsen (yes she tries too hard) but her style might be inspiring to you... she is basically a mix of dark edgy style with slutty, trashy .. I quite like it if I was in a band like her I'd totally wear those clothes. I've had my dark-emo period haha

maybe these can help, sorry for spamming!:

full_taylor_momsen_01_wenn3437756.jpg

taylor-momsen-letterman-switch.jpg

taylor-momsen-gabe-saporta-music-unites-rolling-stone-18.jpg

Taylor-Momsen-FHM-UK-6.jpg

1Taylor-Momsen-Fame-Wild-looks-767x1200.jpg

141796_taylor-momsen-of-the-pretty-reckless-performs-live-at-the-club-at-stage-ae-in-pittsburgh-pennsylvani.jpg

taylor-momsen-rockstar-11.jpg

Taylor-Momsen-Hot-Performance-At-C-Club-In-Berlin.jpg

3Taylor-Momsen-Fame-Wild-looks-682x1024.jpg

taylor-momsen-cross-dress.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So, I might not be the best person to weight-in on this (my personal style is soooo different), here goes!

For stage wear, idk, but I'd avoid any sort of mini skirt. Even though you are quite small, the thing is, I don't think what works for real life will work with potentially bright lighting.

If you gowithyour bare legs, you'll end up looking like a white spot from afar. And from up close, well... Wardrobe malfunctions...

Since you are skinny (I think you are? I didn't look at your stats in a while?), I think you should go for a layered, heavy look: big boots, skinny jeans, awesome jacket. Have a cool top underneath for when you get hot.

I'd go for big accessories- take something that will make your outfit appealing to people nearby, but is still generally visible from afar. E.g., a large bracelet with some sort of design. that way, you look neither costume-y to people standing close, nor boring to people far away.

Actually, you probably are already a pro, but plan your hair according to what you will wear. If I was wearing an intricate stage costume I'd put my hair in an updo, appropriately styled of course.

This was really helpful, thank you! I agree on the miniskirt, and I probably won't be going bare legs regardless (black tights look better on stage compared to my blindingly pale self, haha).

I am fairly skinny at this point, but not 100% satisfied...let's say I'm "thin", not "skinny". ;)

As for the hair, I have short hair in an asymmetrical cut that gives me three options: straight, curly, or mohawk, haha.

Perusing through the pictures again:

Avoid cotton-like material like hell. Looks cheap, you'll sweat in it. Go for materials that have a texture/ depth to them. Pick something that will be interesting under various lighting: leather for example has a nice reflection, not harsh at all.

If you go for all black clothing, a play on different materials/ reflections is super important.

Thank you thank you thank you! I appreciate it. :)

OK, first of all, I love that you are such a rockstar : )
Maybe this is nothing like you have thought of, but I saw those pics and immediately thought of Taylor Momsen (yes she tries too hard) but her style might be inspiring to you... she is basically a mix of dark edgy style with slutty, trashy .. I quite like it if I was in a band like her I'd totally wear those clothes. I've had my dark-emo period haha

maybe these can help, sorry for spamming!:

full_taylor_momsen_01_wenn3437756.jpg

taylor-momsen-letterman-switch.jpg

taylor-momsen-gabe-saporta-music-unites-rolling-stone-18.jpg

Taylor-Momsen-FHM-UK-6.jpg

1Taylor-Momsen-Fame-Wild-looks-767x1200.jpg

141796_taylor-momsen-of-the-pretty-reckless-performs-live-at-the-club-at-stage-ae-in-pittsburgh-pennsylvani.jpg

taylor-momsen-rockstar-11.jpg

Taylor-Momsen-Hot-Performance-At-C-Club-In-Berlin.jpg

3Taylor-Momsen-Fame-Wild-looks-682x1024.jpg

taylor-momsen-cross-dress.jpg

Awesome, thank you so much - this is exactly what I'm hoping for from this thread - spam me as much as you guys want to with ideas, inspirations, thoughts, comments, whatever! I don't think I'll head to the "slutty" category quite like Taylor does, but I do like her boots, haha.

Awesome, thank you so much - this is exactly what I'm hoping for from this thread - spam me as much as you guys want to with ideas, inspirations, thoughts, comments, whatever! I don't think I'll head to the "slutty" category quite like Taylor does, but I do like her boots, haha.

hey at least you liked the shoes ;)

:oops: She does go a bit too far, but I guess that's her style, I mean she literally wears stripper shoes on a daily basis! If I think of something else, I'll post again, good luck ;)

hey at least you liked the shoes ;)

:oops: She does go a bit too far, but I guess that's her style, I mean she literally wears stripper shoes on a daily basis! If I think of something else, I'll post again, good luck ;)

Well, considering I definitely have my daily "style" myself (the salander uniform is black jeans/pants, black or grey tee shirt/sweater/tank depending on the time of year, black hoodie (studs optional) or jacket if needed, and HUGE STOMPY BOOTS), I can't say I don't mind...but those boots she's wearing are actually on my Amazon wishlist, haha. I did like a couple of the pieces she was wearing clothing-wise too, I just probably wouldn't combine them that way, haha.

Thanks again for the help! :)

Well, I made some purchases and have pulled out the sewing machine. :)

Here's what I've ordered:

$T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDMjfBRZQhOC0yg~~60_57.JPG

Fabulously shiny pants, because, pants.

61MJjPTUbfL._SL1000_.jpg

This interestingly strappy one-shoulder dress (I am obsessed with one shoulder dresses, which is just one of my many odd quirks).

$(KGrHqFHJEwFDU-u4J2LBQ4BF,L2NQ~~60_57.JPG

And this underbust corset, which will go with...way more things in my wardrobe than I should admit.

On the next paycheck, I'm going for:
41d1eQwDl4L.jpg

These awesometastic shoes that I adore and cannot wait to rock out in.

I also have started in on designing and beginning to make a wide variety of other items - I've got two corsets going (one shiny olive green/black, and one black PVC), a couple of skirts (one is already finished, and I have another in the works), and I'll be altering up a few t-shirts just because that's very easy and works well. I'm excited!

I also enjoyed so much all that you posted in the thread! :luv:
I'm so excited for the big gig that's coming and the new band! :highfive:
Seriously, I'd LOVE to go that concert! (Nine Inch Nails fan over here!)
I don't really have a lot of contact with this kind of fashion, but I do appreciate it in a way that I'm always thinking to myself how awesome would it be if I looked like that, if only for a day... It's my little fashion fantasy :oops:
Anyway, I found this page where you could maybe draw inspiration from? it looked quite resourceful to me! Hope it helps, at least a little bit...?
And please, when you do decide on new outfits etc. post them here so we can see them!

http://www.trendhunter.com/slideshow/gothic-inspired-editorials

Well, I made some purchases and have pulled out the sewing machine. :)

Here's what I've ordered:

$T2eC16N,!yUE9s6NDMjfBRZQhOC0yg~~60_57.JPG

Fabulously shiny pants, because, pants.

61MJjPTUbfL._SL1000_.jpg

This interestingly strappy one-shoulder dress (I am obsessed with one shoulder dresses, which is just one of my many odd quirks).

$(KGrHqFHJEwFDU-u4J2LBQ4BF,L2NQ~~60_57.JPG

And this underbust corset, which will go with...way more things in my wardrobe than I should admit.

On the next paycheck, I'm going for:
41d1eQwDl4L.jpg

These awesometastic shoes that I adore and cannot wait to rock out in.

I also have started in on designing and beginning to make a wide variety of other items - I've got two corsets going (one shiny olive green/black, and one black PVC), a couple of skirts (one is already finished, and I have another in the works), and I'll be altering up a few t-shirts just because that's very easy and works well. I'm excited!

Wooowee, rock those hot leather pants out ;)