Smaller Clothes?

vie

Grand Dame
Feb 8, 2016
I've often seen thinspo tips that tell you to buy smaller clothes / a size down to motivate you to lose weight and be skinny enough to fit into them. I just received a pair of extra-small, stiff black skinny jeans I ordered online and couldn't fit them over my thighs and hips:oops: Since my goal is mainly to lose around my thighs/ass/hips by extent it's to fit well in those jeans too (and of course I've just got a lot of clothes that will look better on me when I lose weight; but clothes always hang better on skinny girls).

Do you find buying a size down actually works for you and do you often end up losing enough weight to fit into the clothes quickly / in time (if you have a time limit)?

Sorry if there's already a thread like this or if it belongs somewhere else:run:

I've often seen thinspo tips that tell you to buy smaller clothes / a size down to motivate you to lose weight and be skinny enough to fit into them. I just received a pair of extra-small, stiff black skinny jeans I ordered online and couldn't fit them over my thighs and hips:oops: Since my goal is mainly to lose around my thighs/ass/hips by extent it's to fit well in those jeans too (and of course I've just got a lot of clothes that will look better on me when I lose weight; but clothes always hang better on skinny girls).

Do you find buying a size down actually works for you and do you often end up losing enough weight to fit into the clothes quickly / in time (if you have a time limit)?

Sorry if there's already a thread like this or if it belongs somewhere else:run:

I find the opposite works for me - if I order something online and the fit is looser than I expected then generally I find I lose a bit of weight without even trying and the clothes look far too big.

Reactions: 4 users
Buying smaller clothes only motivates me when it's a special occasion dress or something for an event. If I buy jeans or casual everyday clothes that are too small it usually works in the opposite way :(

Reactions: 1 users
I actually like to wear high waisted pants that are a little too tight at the waist with a flowy or longer top over it. That way I'm not paranoid that people are staring at my pants that are a little too small bc any fat that may spill over (sorry too graphic maybe) is covered by my top- plus pants themselves are high waisted, but I'm uncomfortable enough in it that when I wear it out to eat, I'll definitely eat less than I would otherwise.

Reactions: 2 users
I did this a long time ago when I wasn't yet at my goal weight, but because the clothes were so cheap they didn't motivate me haha. They were basic black T-shirts etcetera (luckily I can now wear them :flower:) so there was no hurry to lose weight. I think if you buy something expensive and really beautiful you'll be motivated, but it might not fit very well even if you lose weight, so be careful of that! I'll say: if you have money to get it tailored, do it. If you're short on money, don't.

Buying smaller clothes definitely worked for me when I was losing a lot.
I bought a pair of black skinny jeans (UK size 6) and would try them on every couple of days. If they looked strained and gross I'd feel like shit and immediately not want to eat as much. Worked wonders! Of course if you're already the smallest size commonly sold this is impossible to do. Nonetheless, If you have to drop a whole dress size, I think it's a great idea.

Hmm saw this thread and I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for what I should buy myself in a smaller size. I want to buy a really nice pair of black skinnies or some really cute lingerie. I like the aesthetic of "for love & lemons" but maybe just a little bit less over the top. Stuart Weitzman Lowland boots are also high on my list, but I can't afford that right now. Would like something(s) under $300.

I did in the beginning, when I first started. But I would usually buy jeans, dresses, etc. which I don't think helped since I could easily hide my problem areas plus I'm already smaller than the smallest size. However, I brought things that I'd never wore before or thought I deserved, like pretty bras, pretty sleeveless tops, tight sweaters, expensive tops, etc. Before my tops were really plain, ugly and cheap. I used to be incredibly ashamed of my upper body so I never felt like I deserved nice things. I would hang a different top outside my closet every two weeks or so and try it. Picturing myself wearing something that I longed to wear also helped a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
You can lose or gain weight without going up a size or viceversa, it's more about measurements and every brand has a different way of sizing, you can fit a size 0 in certain jeans and then try another pair in a different store and fit in a 2. It can help but sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with your weight, I fit the smallest size when I shop but I'm still nowhere as thin as I would like to be. Maybe buying something that doesn't look flattering right now w your current weight might be a better idea? Like idk, super tight jeans or leather leggins that motivates you to get thinner legs, or a top that shows your upper area and that you know would look much better when you get to your goal, with thinner arms and collarbones!

You can lose or gain weight without going up a size or viceversa, it's more about measurements and every brand has a different way of sizing, you can fit a size 0 in certain jeans and then try another pair in a different store and fit in a 2. It can help but sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with your weight, I fit the smallest size when I shop but I'm still nowhere as thin as I would like to be. Maybe buying something that doesn't look flattering right now w your current weight might be a better idea? Like idk, super tight jeans or leather leggins that motivates you to get thinner legs, or a top that shows your upper area and that you know would look much better when you get to your goal, with thinner arms and collarbones!
Yeah, what happened to me was there was a pair of Urban Outfitters skinny jeans on sale available either in XS or S. I got the XS, which fit over my calves but not really over my thighs, whereas the S would have been too big on me especially as I want to lose 9-12 pounds. So I got the XS as motivation to lose weight around my thighs, butt and hips so I can fit in them well; and in general when I lose weight I know I'll look better in all my clothes of course!

Buy an expensive, smaller dress for a public and important event with a friend/frenemy you are going to the event with (so, the date is set and alterations are out of the question, and that someone knows what you are supposed to be wearing) but have it delivered a few weeks before said event.

The fear of public humiliation has worked for me.

I think anything leather is great skinny motivation. Leather leggings should honestly never be made in anything other than the smallest sample size :nervous:. I think you can be average and maybe make some outfits work but leather will never be one of them

Reactions: 8 users
i do this as well and it serves as great motivation, but it also sucks when you get even smaller than the size you got. i bought myself an xs sweater and dress to look forward to but, since it took quite a while to ship, i now have to take in the dress and let the sweater just be... big. this has taught me that although buying smaller clothes works for motivation, finding items that would look good when they fit you AND when they are a little loose is the key. that way, they can never be too small.

i do this as well and it serves as great motivation, but it also sucks when you get even smaller than the size you got. i bought myself an xs sweater and dress to look forward to but, since it took quite a while to ship, i now have to take in the dress and let the sweater just be... big. this has taught me that although buying smaller clothes works for motivation, finding items that would look good when they fit you AND when they are a little loose is the key. that way, they can never be too small.

No offence but if you shopped online, how can you be sure you bought it too small? I find online clothes to be fairly big and have had to take in every dress I’ve bought.

No offence but if you shopped online, how can you be sure you bought it too small? I find online clothes to be fairly big and have had to take in every dress I’ve bought.
none taken, i know for certain i am not always an xs but it was one of those "true size" things that just seemed to be the proper size for me. but yeah you're totally right, clothes bought online are super unpredictable