Skinny Gurl's Guide to Thanksgiving

EliseMacabre

Rookie
^ew. Well there are like 500 calories in just 1 slice of pecan pie, so if someone eats 2, that's easily 1000 calories in just pie (not counting whipped cream). And with all the dressing/gravy/butter smothered food, I can totally see how the numbers add up. Personally, I could never eat that much in one setting and am naturally a slow eater, so I'm lucky in that way. Plus, Thanksgiving is sad/stressful this year for reasons I won't elaborate. =/

S

skinnyshopaholic1

^ Eugh, disgusting!!! Probably more so for me, cos I'm a vegetarian :)

We don't celebrate thanksgiving where I live, but I'm so glad to have these tips for Christmas! My main problem is that during the Christmas dinner, my family eats really slowly and takes seconds and thirds and fourths.. So when I stop eating everyone notices and says, do you not want more? No, I don't want more, because I don't want to feel and look like a fat pig tomorrow!

abominable_princess

Worker Bee
I'm so glad we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the Netherlands!

However, I am so going to use this on Christmas .___.

X

xandraworld

Next year: we all need to have an SG thanksgiving together.

C

Celestial

Don't you all think it's strange or ironic that Thanksgiving is the day to give thanks and then the next day, it's Black Friday where people go crazy shopping for things they don't have.

classichic

Super Star
Don't you all think it's strange or ironic that Thanksgiving is the day to give thanks and then the next day, it's Black Friday where people go crazy shopping for things they don't have.
I actually like that concept haha. I wish we had Black Fridays here, it would be so cool to get stuff on discount especially for the holidays.

Anyway in regards to the article SG, you once again tell us how it's done :highfive:.

I don't celebrate thanksgiving but usually for big event dinners/family gatherings I try and avoid whenever possible, it's usually food I don't like so I really don't see the point of going and then eating a few bites of food just for the sake of it, especially of food I don't enjoy. It's still calories, fat and carbohydrates. But if I do go, I take a bit of everything (like <1 tablespoon) and put it on my plate and tell them I've tried it all (when in actual fact I haven't) and tell them I can't (too much salt/plain/makes my stomach sick, strange smell etc.) I usually exaggerate it and act like a kid and shake my head vigorously and then they're like ok. But I find one thing that I do like, something veggie and act all puppy faced, that I like that a lot so they don't get too sad. They usually try to persuade me to take some more but I just say I'm too full and I had a large starbucks before and ask if I can take some home with me. It goes straight to the bin but oh well, I can't have events like this messing my skinny progress.

RoseOfSteel

Rising Star
I literally gagged at that picture. SO GROSS

I was a good gurl today :) Just mushroom soup, salad, some nibbles of other things for Dinner!

Thanks for the awesome guide SG! It definitely gave me extra motivation and a clearer picture of what to do. :kiss:

Coffee_Girl

Worker Bee
Why does it have to be about food?

(Rant time)

The same with Christmas, Easter, birthdays and every other event out there. Same with weddings. People don't give a damn about their host anymore, about spending time together, about talking and cathing up with your family. It should be about being together, having fun, going out together for a walk. Having quality time with children if there are any in the family. Buying or making gifts that are perfect for the person they're for, not just cool or expensive looking.

Look what's happening to us, skinnies. We start hating on social events, we get extremely nervous around our families, and we don't wait for Christmas anymore. It's not the way it's supposed to be. We should be able to go for family events for family. But how are we supposed to do that if every nose is in our plate, snooping for how much we eat.

(/rant over)

Reactions: 1 user

shauna

Worker Bee
Why does it have to be about food?

(Rant time)

The same with Christmas, Easter, birthdays and every other event out there. Same with weddings. People don't give a damn about their host anymore, about spending time together, about talking and cathing up with your family. It should be about being together, having fun, going out together for a walk. Having quality time with children if there are any in the family. Buying or making gifts that are perfect for the person they're for, not just cool or expensive looking.

Look what's happening to us, skinnies. We start hating on social events, we get extremely nervous around our families, and we don't wait for Christmas anymore. It's not the way it's supposed to be. We should be able to go for family events for family. But how are we supposed to do that if every nose is in our plate, snooping for how much we eat.

(/rant over)
Agreed.

Mouse

Runt
I'm part of the lucky ones who don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Anyway, that's such a useful article and I'll use those tips during the Holidays!

(I laughed so much at : '' I wouldn’t want any of you girls to end up like this.'' with the Kate Upton picture XD)

Thank you Skinny Girl! I'm always excited when there's a new article on the site!

M

madolyn

I'm one of the lucky few who's family lives in the U.S. (the deep south at that) and chooses not to celebrate thanksgiving. And thank god for that, It's just an absurd excuse for Americans to get fatter. :rolleyes:

T

TheMostFabulousWhore

Thank you!!!:bow: This guide is awesome, and I love that you included both tips for going to the meal and for trying to avoid it.
*print print print!*
Using for the Winter holidays like Hanukkah and Christmas too- it's really god tips. Thank you!

P

Petite Papillon

Even though I didn't see the article until AFTER thanksgiving :cry: I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it. My family likes to celebrate the whole weekend so I will definitely be referring back to it time and again. It will be great for christmas too!!:cry:

C

Cat

I always bring my own salad to share and try to "help" as much as I can. I do dishes, prepare food, etc. and people don't seem to notice that I'm not eating much. I always have a plate with a bit of food within reach so that it looks like I've been picking at the food all day, and no one ever questions it.

B

Babydoll

We don't have Thanksgiving in Peru but I will totally use this for Christmas!
Thanks SG! :kiss:

BTW, loved that Karl artwork. It just cracked me up. :lol: