Skechers to Pay $40 Million Over Toning Shoe Claims

S

Skinny2012

Do you know those abnormally unaesthetic Sketchers Shape Shoes? It's proven now that they don't shape anything.

Quote from ABC:

"Skechers' unfounded claims went beyond stronger and more toned muscles. The company even made claims about weight loss and cardiovascular health," David Vladeck, director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection, said in a statement. "The FTC's message, for Skechers and other national advertisers, is to shape up your substantiation or tone down your claims."

The FTC also alleges that Skechers manipulated and "cherry-picked results" from studies to support their claims. In one case, the FTC says Skechers touted the endorsement of chiropractor Dr. Steven Gautreau, but did not disclose that Gautreau was married to a Skechers marketng executive and that Skechers paid him to conduct the study, which the FTC alleges did not support the claims in the ad.

Skechers USA Inc. will pay $40 million to settle charges rather than go to trial. Don't waste your money on a scam like that, just exercise :).

(source: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/skec...ng-shoe-claims/story?id=16359254#.T7XlJlIeV8F)

Reactions: 1 user
My motto with any kind of "quick-fix" diet remedy is this: if it sounds easy, and requires no sacrifice, it's a CON. Skinny is a sacrifice, control, restraint.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't waste money on them anyways! I thought they were hideous and would never be seen in public with them.

I wouldn't waste money on them anyways! I thought they were hideous and would never be seen in public with them.

Yes, they are ugly...
I'm always scared when i see people at the gym exercising in shoes like that... it's like they WANT to break their ankle or something... :nervous:

Reactions: 1 users
@Skinny2012 : I totally agree. Those things are hideous.

Also, they give me a nasty deja-vu since they really look like those equally ugly late-90ies shoes with high soles. Remember them? :rolleyes:
Everyone wore them in my school when I was in second grade, and I´ve never seen so many people staggering and stumbling around because they just couldn´t walk in them :lol:

buffalo-schuhe1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I knew that weird stupid shoe didn't do anything. HA!

Reactions: 1 user

I second this!!!!
@Samira.. I agree, nothing worth while is going to come by putting in a pair sneakers!

I know when my sister worked in a bakery she got a pair of non-name brand versions of these shoes so she could see over the counters (she was very short!) and although they didn't do much, they did seem to make her legs look a bit better. So I don't know if it is all of these types of shoes but just sketchers?

Don't have skechers but a different brand of same thing but they looked like normal running shoes not platform shoes. But the "bosu" like air pockets in them broke pretty much 2 weeks after i bought them lol. But still a really nice pair of runners but probably do not greatly impact the toning. Still use them for walking in the bog, don't mind if they get all muddy. :)

I always thought they were a con. And damn ugly.

Glad it's now out in the open though!

@Skinny2012 : I totally agree. Those things are hideous.

Also, they give me a nasty deja-vu since they really look like those equally ugly late-90ies shoes with high soles. Remember them? :rolleyes:
Everyone wore them in my school when I was in second grade, and I´ve never seen so many people staggering and stumbling around because they just couldn´t walk in them :lol:

buffalo-schuhe1.jpg
LOL, I remember these! For some reason we even called them 'Spice Girl shoes'. I had a white pair (epic fail), man they were ugly!