Skechers to Pay $40 Million Over Toning Shoe Claims

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by Skinny2012, May 18, 2012.

1. Skinny2012

Skinny2012 Guest

Do you know those abnormally unaesthetic Sketchers Shape Shoes? It's proven now that they don't shape anything.

Quote from ABC:

"Skechers' unfounded claims went beyond stronger and more toned muscles. The company even made claims about weight loss and cardiovascular health," David Vladeck, director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection, said in a statement. "The FTC's message, for Skechers and other national advertisers, is to shape up your substantiation or tone down your claims."

The FTC also alleges that Skechers manipulated and "cherry-picked results" from studies to support their claims. In one case, the FTC says Skechers touted the endorsement of chiropractor Dr. Steven Gautreau, but did not disclose that Gautreau was married to a Skechers marketng executive and that Skechers paid him to conduct the study, which the FTC alleges did not support the claims in the ad.

Skechers USA Inc. will pay $40 million to settle charges rather than go to trial. Don't waste your money on a scam like that, just exercise :).

(source: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/skec...ng-shoe-claims/story?id=16359254#.T7XlJlIeV8F)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Samira

Samira Guest

My motto with any kind of "quick-fix" diet remedy is this: if it sounds easy, and requires no sacrifice, it's a CON. Skinny is a sacrifice, control, restraint.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Schmate

Schmate Guest

I wouldn't waste money on them anyways! I thought they were hideous and would never be seen in public with them.

4. Skinny2012

Skinny2012 Guest

Yes, they are ugly...
    I'm always scared when i see people at the gym exercising in shoes like that... it's like they WANT to break their ankle or something... :nervous:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Scarlet

Scarlet Guest

@Skinny2012 : I totally agree. Those things are hideous.

Also, they give me a nasty deja-vu since they really look like those equally ugly late-90ies shoes with high soles. Remember them? :rolleyes:
    Everyone wore them in my school when I was in second grade, and I´ve never seen so many people staggering and stumbling around because they just couldn´t walk in them :lol:

[​IMG]

#5 Scarlet, May 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ello

Ello Rookie

I knew that weird stupid shoe didn't do anything. HA!

• Like Like x 1
  7. riley4tt

riley4tt Guest

I second this!!!!
    @Samira.. I agree, nothing worth while is going to come by putting in a pair sneakers!

#7 riley4tt, May 18, 2012
  8. hannahq101

hannahq101 Guest

I know when my sister worked in a bakery she got a pair of non-name brand versions of these shoes so she could see over the counters (she was very short!) and although they didn't do much, they did seem to make her legs look a bit better. So I don't know if it is all of these types of shoes but just sketchers?

9. Nala

Nala Rookie

10. Nessie

Nessie Guest

Don't have skechers but a different brand of same thing but they looked like normal running shoes not platform shoes. But the "bosu" like air pockets in them broke pretty much 2 weeks after i bought them lol. But still a really nice pair of runners but probably do not greatly impact the toning. Still use them for walking in the bog, don't mind if they get all muddy. :)

11. corrupted

corrupted Guest

I always thought they were a con. And damn ugly.

Glad it's now out in the open though!

12. Lolo

Lolo Rookie

LOL, I remember these! For some reason we even called them 'Spice Girl shoes'. I had a white pair (epic fail), man they were ugly!

#12 Lolo, Jun 1, 2012
  13. skinnymini

skinnymini Guest

anything kim k puts her name on is crap lol