Should fat people try to dress fashionably?

Should fat people dress fashionably?

• Yes, where's the harm?

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Yes, but only average fat people, not obese people

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Yes, but only to a limited extent

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • No, they should dress conservatively

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Hell no, why bother?

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

slenderous

Worker Bee
Aug 16, 2013
England, UK
Hi all.

I just wondered what your views on this were.

I find it distressing to see Lady Gaga, or her non-famous equivalent, walking around sporting an intricate outfit that would look amazing on someone two-thirds their width.

So do you think fat people should follow fashion in their dress?

(Apologies if this is a duplicate, I did search before posting)

Yes, people can wear whatever they want to make them happy. But fashionably = nudity, and it's distressing to see fat rolls hanging out errrrrywhere.

I definitely think yes. I find that when fat people go to the effort to dress well, I respect them a lot more.
I'm a lot less likely to associate them with "fatty culture"
i.e the laziness and sloppines that leads to being fat in the first place, which often poor dress emphasizes and perpetuates.
I'm not explaining my opinion very well but I think one might get the gist :confused:

Of course fat people are just people and should have the freedom to express themselves through clothing, whether fashionable or not.

But.
Fashion becomes a lot less fashionable when worn by elephants in my opinion :whistling:

Reactions: 1 user
They can try however, it never looks nice and always looks kind of tacky. But once they get to the stage a sheet is the only thing that fits them... I don't think they really have a choice.

Yes they should - although excuse me for saying this but skinny fashion should not be reinterpreted into 'fatty fashion'.

Being fat and fashionable and being respected for it - IS NOT the same as being skinny and fashionable. The clothes are NOT interchangeable. You cannot be hot in skimpy or body-hugging clothes as a skinnier counterpart will be.Period.

Fashionable clothes are often designed with a perfect body in mind, especially when it comes to revealing clothing items like crop tops, hotpants, yoga pants - they are a privilege for thin people and therefore, fatties should abstain from wearing them.
There are still a lot of other trends to follow that are more suitable.

However, I see this issue not as a question of fat vs. skinny, because generally, everyone shold dress for their body type and figure they have.
Being in the skinny to normal range doesn´t automatically mean you have a good figure.
As much of an eyesore it is to see a fatty displaying their cellulite in hotpants, it is to see a skinny girl´s cellulite (happens too, nature´s a bitch). Or a flat, saggy butt in a pair of leggings.

I´ts not that much a question of size, but about knowing your problem areas and choosing your clothes based on that.
Since a fat body consists of many problem areas stapled upon each other, they´re just especially challenged to find clothes that look good on them, but skinnies aren´t all perfect either and should be just as aware.

I think it depends on what your defintion of fashion is.

If by "fashion" you mean with a sense of style, and dressing well for your body type, then absolutely. I have seen some bigger girls out there wearing clothes that are cute and looking much better than they would if they were rolling around in the slob uniform du jour around here (i.e. tights, Uggs and lululemon sweatshirt). I mean, is the alternative that everyone wear muumuus or other eyesores? No thanks.

That said, the dressing for your body thing is huge. @Intrinsicality verbalized this well: fatty fashion is great and can work for those bigger body types, but it is not interchangable with skinny fashion.

If by fashion you mean high fashion, intricate outfit type shit, then ... no. It usually doesn't work. The outfits are very demanding and difficult to pull off, and if you don't have the body for it, you'll look like a hot mess.

Also, I think @Scarlet makes a great point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fashion for their body type, not all around fashion. There are flattering clothes for everyone. I don't think that anybody should dress frumpy-it looks way worse on fat people too.
Honestly, everyone should wear things that they feel good in. If you dress in a way that makes you feel gross and frumpy, you are more likely to keep up that act. I know I eat less when I'm feeling good about how I look.

They need to cover up as more as their fatass body as they can, so if it's in a fashionable way, then so be it, but if they're wearing tights or something really provocative, then it's just horrible..

Why can't they dress fashionably? Everyone has a free choice to do whatever they want. If a certain outfit makes them happy, gives them more confident then fair enough they should. I'd like to see people to make an effort of how they dress, regardless of their size.
However, this doesn't mean they know how to dress for their body shape, there are a ton of shops where fashionable clothes aren't exactly made for big people, so unfortunately at times it doesn't look right, may appear too tight. Same for skinny girls, there are a ton of girls that don't know how to dress right, show too much skin or wear clothes that makes them appear a lot bigger. Next thing I'm going to hear is fat girls can't wear swimsuits and bikinis. This is a stupid question. Fat people don't need to cover up, as long as they're dressed appropriately why not?

I think they should all do whatever they want. Just as long as they're not walking naked in the streets.
I support our skinny aesthetic, but I don't think we should accuse of anyone else's fashion choices in regard to their body.

It may not be visually pleasing for us, but it's their choice, and we're all human beings, and we should treat each other with a little respect. @Emean, I was actually quite shocked when you said ''They need to cover up as more as their fatass body as they can'', I understand that you don't necessarily like to see them, but that was a very rude way of putting it, just saying :p (I don't wanna start a fight, I'm just pointing it out).

I mean, if people can't wear anything they want without being accused of 'looking gross' then where are we going?

@Lolita, I guess you're right, I overreacted. I was just thinking, that if I was a real fat person (right now, I'm normal sized), I would never leave the house in anything but black, but that's because I couldn't have enough confidence to walk out from the house wearing something in floral, print, etc.

But yes, when I think about it, let people wear whatever they want, fashion should be a choice of a person, not a corporation (when we're talking about sizes).

@Lolita, I guess you're right, I overreacted. I was just thinking, that if I was a real fat person (right now, I'm normal sized), I would never leave the house in anything but black, but that's because I couldn't have enough confidence to walk out from the house wearing something in floral, print, etc.

Haha no biggie :p I would probably wear black/solid colours all the time, and try to show as little of my body as possible.

Well they can, as long as they're people as well, but don't try impossible stuff (fatties with crop-tops hello? I've seen a bunch of them this summer)

Regarding myself, when I gained quite pounds after a BE episode it didn't feel like dressing fashionable at all, I felt so wrong everytime I did my best to dress nice.. so I just dressed plain until I lost the weight and I mean, I was slim-average, I can't imagine how would I feel if I was fat :wtf:

Anyway, I have to confess that it's awkward when I see a fattie trying to dress fashionably :nopity:

Fashion for their body type, not all around fashion. There are flattering clothes for everyone. I don't think that anybody should dress frumpy-it looks way worse on fat people too.

I completely agree. Dress in a manner that suits your body and the occasion. Don't squeeze into a skintight dress on a work day. Don't subject people to having to look at you in a crop top if you don't have a flat stomach. But, I mean, to each her own. I can't make anyone do anything, and if I do see someone fatter than me in a dress I own, I can at least take pleasure in knowing that it looks oh-so-much better on me.