Shit Model Management

I grew up in - what is being labeled as - at least here - the 'generation internship '. Highly educated, and also experienced (in working field )people who were literally used and paid by firms like first-time-ever young trainees. What @Ellie is experiencing right now and it's not 'easy'or enough with a skillset. Vitamin C (connections) is worth a lot (if not more than skills) too in certain job fields.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I grew up in - what is being labeled as - at least here - the 'generation internship '. Highly educated, and also experienced (in working field )people who were literally used and paid by firms like first-time-ever young trainees. What @Ellie is experiencing right now and it's not 'easy'or enough with a skillset. Vitamin C (connections) is worth a lot (if not more than skills) too in certain job fields.
90% agreed....I had to work my ass off to get a paid internship this summer and most of my friends (in all fields, even tech with good GPA's at top 20 universities and with top credentials) are being forced to accept unpaid positions and then take second jobs, because without an internship you can't get a job later on. It's really a 'seller's market,' so to speak. The only exceptions I see in this is when people with genuinely useless, and extremely narrow majors expect to get a job with no skills...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
You mentioned employers acting as if they were doing you a favor. In fact, employers are doing you a favor by hiring you as an intern and letting you learn and work your way up. They are taking a risk by hiring an intern as opposed to a seasoned employee. Therefore the difference in compensation and benefits is understandable.

At least in my field, that's not how it works. You 'hire' an intern, pay him or her little to no money and have him or her do all the stuff you had to actually hire a paid employee for before it became acceptable to have people work for free for as long as 6 or sometimes even 12 months. They take absolutely zero risk by hiring an intern, since they would have to pay at least four times as much to hire someone more experienced.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
_20170405_200508.JPG

I know this isnt the same account but :popcorn:

• Funny
  • Love

90% agreed....I had to work my ass off to get a paid internship this summer and most of my friends (in all fields, even tech with good GPA's at top 20 universities and with top credentials) are being forced to accept unpaid positions and then take second jobs, because without an internship you can't get a job later on. It's really a 'seller's market,' so to speak. The only exceptions I see in this is when people with genuinely useless, and extremely narrow majors expect to get a job with no skills...

At least in my field, that's not how it works. You 'hire' an intern, pay him or her little to no money and have him or her do all the stuff you had to actually hire a paid employee for before it became acceptable to have people work for free for as long as 6 or sometimes even 12 months. They take absolutely zero risk by hiring an intern, since they would have to pay at least four times as much to hire someone more experienced.

Interesting. In Australia, our labour laws are very different. Unions are very powerful so our labour laws are much more employee friendly. Unpaid internships are illegal, and there are laws that proscribe minimum rates of pay. It's also very difficult to fire someone - you need to put them on a "performance management plan" for at least a month and only if they show no signs of improvement can you fire them. And even if an employer does fire them, an employee can (for a small fee of $150) lodge an "unfair dismissal" claim against their former employer, which an employer will usually end up agreeing to settle and pay the employee compensation just to avoid the claim being taken further.

As a result? Employers won't hire graduates - meaning that many graduates are finding it near impossible to find jobs in their chosen fields. A significantly large portion of graduates are working casual jobs in retail or hospitality (working as a bartender or shop assistant) just to pay the bills, and with the hope of landing a job in their chosen career path. However, because it's too 'risky' for employers to hire someone with no experience, these 'casual' and 'temporary' jobs are becoming a graduate's 'actual job'. Just the other day I read an article about a teacher who had graduated university 3 years ago and was still working in a cafe because they hadn't been able to find a teaching job.

• Sad