Shit Model Management / Shitmodelmgmt / Agency Whistle Blower

SugarFree

VIP - Insider
VIP
Feb 4, 2012
Shit Model Management has just made a list of problematic agencies around the world as well as recommended agencies.. it's saved on their IG story. I debated posting this on the main SG forum (was originally going to post just in the Treehouse) but remembered that there are some non VIP models here...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users
There’s already a thread on Shit Model Management but all this drama deserves its own. :sneaky: Plus @Skinnybubbly wanted a thread on agencies that were seen as problematic.
Here are the “bad” agencies they posted:
00AE9AC2-5CA6-4691-9BDD-7AF68DB87D2F.jpeg

4A7BE4D5-84BE-49E0-8A95-92CF90D830C9.jpeg

“Good” agencies:
839CCB4F-2B68-4238-901C-9F0481385492.jpeg
DD022B3A-D1AF-4B99-B07A-55DDDA089739.jpeg
84E73419-0507-4562-8E63-645D8AE9DD4A.jpeg
6337A759-4236-4A45-943B-4F599EA9033A.jpeg
226D853B-D796-41A2-A434-1208618DC962.jpeg

For anyone who didn’t see, they posted paragraphs about each “bad” agency claiming agents didn’t pay soon enough, they didn’t get paid at all, they had agents be sexual with them, etc... What I don’t get is how some agencies are on both the good and bad list?
Also, Scott Lipps (owner of One Management) is attempting to sue them.

• Useful
Reactions: 7 users
Not a model, but I saw this too and was debating a thread for it. Thank you!
For those who aren't familiar with Shit Model Management, it's maybe worth mentioning that their/her 'crusade' started off (and still is) as a reaction to the #Metoo movement. Other than outing agencies that don't pay in time or at all, they are outing agencies that are creepy (as in: owners act like pimps etc.) as well as photographers and other industry insiders. So far it has been focused on agencies, but they announced a list of photographers as well.

The list doesn't really say why the agencies are problematic, which I find a bit irritating. Of course not paying models is totally not okay, but it's a different level of not okay than sending models to 'see' rich old dudes late at night.

I'm especially curious about Wilhelmina, are they broke?
Edit: Okay, seeing the full list of 'good' agencies, Wilhelmina in NY, LA, London, and Miami is considered okay? So which one is bad? The only division left is Chicago, and it's a HUGE difference whether Wilhelmina Chicago is bad or Wilhelmina per se, as they made it sound before.

I don't know, I appreciate her speaking out, but for my taste, it's all a bit too sloppy in the way it is (not) vetted.
She called out Markus Riggi from Monster Milan the other day, resulting in him deleting his insta account and models posting pictures in his support. Then one day later, Shit Model Management clarified the creep at Monster wasn't Markus, but another guy. Obviously some damage had already been done. I think it's extremely important to speak out and I think the whole #Metoo has tremendous benefits, but I'm concerned about the way some people (not only SMM) go about it. It's already a slippery slope and politically speaking women's rights movements haven't had a lot to celebrate about in the US in the last year, so I'm afraid this sort of public denouncement will hurt the cause more than it will benefit it.
(I know they posted they only call out agencies they have heard several negative opinions about, but still...)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 10 users
I'm especially curious about Wilhelmina, are they broke?

I recall hearing from the director at my old agency that Wilhelmina was going downhill. I don't really remember much about why since it was a year ago that he mentioned it but seeing the name on the list jogged my memory.

Edit: Also heard that Ford no longer has the star power they used to but they seem to be on the "good" list? Just because an agency is ethical doesn't mean they'll get you work, I guess.

A few of the “bad” agencies listed, such as Orange Models and Barbizon, aren’t even actual “modeling agencies”. They are talent agencies that will sign anyone and have them build expensive portfolios and pay absurd fees to be listed on their website, which is how these agencies make most of their money.

Barbizon also has an expensive modeling/acting school and Orange models have workshops.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Useful
So yes they listed a lot of shit agencies but they also put a lot of good agencies. Some I know horror stories from and some I have literally never heard a bad thing about them except from disgruntled models. Also keep in mind there might be different owners. Some agencies (dumb IMO) license out their name but it's completely different management.

I keep forgetting to post about it but a lot of formerly big prestigious agencies are going to shit because they are loosening (or at least "changing") their standards, signing shorter chubbier plainer girls who literally cannot pose or emote to save their lives, especially for the agency "image" boards all because the girl has an inside connection and a lot of instagram followers. It's sad and reduces the whole industry IMO. It's because of the reality TV world and the nepomodel trend, which makes me ragey. I also believe that there are some agencies who are fighting the trend and when the correction comes those agencies will be in a very good position.

I think the whole #Metoo has tremendous benefits, but I'm concerned about the way some people (not only SMM) go about it

OMG :nod: :highfive: I could "love" that 1,000 times and it would not be enough.

They are talent agencies that will sign anyone and have them build expensive portfolios and pay absurd fees to be listed on their website, which is how these agencies make most of their money.

Yip but it's hard to feel sorry for girls when ten minutes of research on the internet will tell them that a reputable agency will not ask for money up front.

not paying models is totally not okay, but it's a different level of not okay than sending models to 'see' rich old dudes late at night

OK but think about it from the booker point of view - lots of models are much more interested in meeting rich older guys than doing a 10 hour shoot that barely pays. But one helps us build up her port and career and make money for her and me, the other doesn't.

a list of photographers

Yes a lot of people in the industry, like everywhere, are pervs but there are so many exaggerated stories. It's a two way street. If you're not OK with something, say it or call me. Also most of the so-called horror stories I have heard are due to really bad bookers. Who sends a 14 year old girl with bad English on a 20 mile drive alone with a photographer the agency has never worked with and just met them through an instagram tag? That's so negligent it should be illegal. Also not setting clear expectations and goals in advance for the shoot.

I fight like a psycho bitch to protect my girls. You do not fuck with them and you do not fuck with me. If you do I will fucking cut you. 95% of the time they are never alone with a photographer (or anyone else) because there's crew, stylists, etc. The 5% of the time they are (casual testing etc), you bet your tiny ass it's with someone I know and trust and I'm in touch with both of them through the whole thing. I've even gone with them when they are very new. But sorry I do not believe protecting a girl is also telling her she is too weak or dumb to make her own decisions. It's a cruel fun crazy world out there and all I can do is tell her how it works, help her, give her advice, then let her decide what is best for her.

• Love
  • Useful
Reactions: 37 users
So yes they listed a lot of shit agencies but they also put a lot of good agencies. Some I know horror stories from and some I have literally never heard a bad thing about them except from disgruntled models. Also keep in mind there might be different owners. Some agencies (dumb IMO) license out their name but it's completely different management.

I keep forgetting to post about it but a lot of formerly big prestigious agencies are going to shit because they are loosening (or at least "changing") their standards, signing shorter chubbier plainer girls who literally cannot pose or emote to save their lives, especially for the agency "image" boards all because the girl has an inside connection and a lot of instagram followers. It's sad and reduces the whole industry IMO. It's because of the reality TV world and the nepomodel trend, which makes me ragey. I also believe that there are some agencies who are fighting the trend and when the correction comes those agencies will be in a very good position.

OMG :nod: :highfive: I could "love" that 1,000 times and it would not be enough.

Yip but it's hard to feel sorry for girls when ten minutes of research on the internet will tell them that a reputable agency will not ask for money up front.

OK but think about it from the booker point of view - lots of models are much more interested in meeting rich older guys than doing a 10 hour shoot that barely pays. But one helps us build up her port and career and make money for her and me, the other doesn't.

Yes a lot of people in the industry, like everywhere, are pervs but there are so many exaggerated stories. It's a two way street. If you're not OK with something, say it or call me. Also most of the so-called horror stories I have heard are due to really bad bookers. Who sends a 14 year old girl with bad English on a 20 mile drive alone with a photographer the agency has never worked with and just met them through an instagram tag? That's so negligent it should be illegal. Also not setting clear expectations and goals in advance for the shoot.

I fight like a psycho bitch to protect my girls. You do not fuck with them and you do not fuck with me. If you do I will fucking cut you. 95% of the time they are never alone with a photographer (or anyone else) because there's crew, stylists, etc. The 5% of the time they are (casual testing etc), you bet your tiny ass it's with someone I know and trust and I'm in touch with both of them through the whole thing. I've even gone with them when they are very new. But sorry I do not believe protecting a girl is also telling her she is too weak or dumb to make her own decisions. It's a cruel fun crazy world out there and all I can do is tell her how it works, help her, give her advice, then let her decide what is best for her.

OT, but you are one bad ass lady. I love your ferocity :highfive:

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
I think it’s great that they’re trying to out all the bad agencies but they should really check the source of information. They put my mother agency on the bad list after one of our crazy ex-bookers sent in false information :meh:

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I keep forgetting to post about it but a lot of formerly big prestigious agencies are going to shit because they are loosening (or at least "changing") their standards, signing shorter chubbier plainer girls who literally cannot pose or emote to save their lives, especially for the agency "image" boards all because the girl has an inside connection and a lot of instagram followers. It's sad and reduces the whole industry IMO. It's because of the reality TV world and the nepomodel trend, which makes me ragey.
Love you for calling this out

:inluv:

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who didn’t see, they posted paragraphs about each “bad” agency claiming agents didn’t pay soon enough, they didn’t get paid at all, they had agents be sexual with them, etc... What I don’t get is how some agencies are on both the good and bad list?
Also, Scott Lipps (owner of One Management) is attempting to sue them.
Wihelmina has licensed subsidiaries, much like Elite does. Elite London, Paris, LA and The Society as well as Wilhelmina NY, LA, London, Miami are 100% legit and as a result, probably have better payment. The others, like Elite NY (and other cities) or Wilhelmina in other cities just bought access to the name and aren't managed by the same people, and aren't publicly traded in Wilhelmina's case (whereas the NY/London/Miami/LA is publicly traded)

• Useful
Agreed with other users that the mob mentality/lack of research and nuance in the SMM affair and other related social media advocacy is problematic, damaging, and will utlimately diminish the credibility of *actual* victims and survivors of workplace discrimination, pay discrimination, and sexual violence.

• Agree
  • Useful
They posted a lot of horror stories about Mario Testino before the NYT article came out.

Reactions: 3 users
I used to be signed to Elite Sai Gon and I couldn’t even express all the dodgy shenanigans that go on there. My friend who was 15 at the time was offered to go on a 4 hour drive to a beach town to meet some Russian oligarchs and ‘dance’ for them for a few grand. I was signed up to be a beer girl and car show girl at 15 and told it was a ‘runway’ job. I’m sure Elite isn’t like that everywhere else but when agencies licence their name it definitely does not mean the same standards are kept.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
https://sites.google.com/view/shitmodelmgmt/home?authuser=4
Their “blacklist”. I’m not going to lie I’ve interacted with one of the photographers on the list with a “*” (which means they were sent by people over 3 times) and he kept on inviting me to his apartment to “talk” about launching my career. I was too scared and never did, so he got really mad at me and cursed me out over text saying that I am “worthless”. He also kept on asking if I had a boyfriend (and when I said I did he said I shouldn’t have told him that and that we should forget I even said that) also said I was very cute and that I’m very sweet and young. (I’m 17). I literally have screenshots of all of this. I was very flattered because he is a veryy popular photographer and shoots all of my favorite models but at the same time I didn't want to do something I didn’t want to do.

• Sad
  • Agree
https://sites.google.com/view/shitmodelmgmt/home?authuser=4
Their “blacklist”. I’m not going to lie I’ve interacted with one of the photographers on the list with a “*” (which means they were sent by people over 3 times) and he kept on inviting me to his apartment to “talk” about launching my career. I was too scared and never did, so he got really mad at me and cursed me out over text saying that I am “worthless”. He also kept on asking if I had a boyfriend (and when I said I did he said I shouldn’t have told him that and that we should forget I even said that) also said I was very cute and that I’m very sweet and young. (I’m 17). I literally have screenshots of all of this. I was very flattered because he is a veryy popular photographer and shoots all of my favorite models but at the same time I didn't want to do something I didn’t want to do.
Agreed--all three of the 'bad' situations I've been in with photographers (luckily nothing worse than some lewd questions,harassment and pushy behavior) were on that list and 2 of the 3 had asterisks.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
i've worked with two of the photographers on their blacklist. my experiences with both of them were fine, though one I completely believe based on my conversations with him and the way he presented himself. (he also had 4+ accusers)
the other i highly doubt based on my experience with him and because of the nuance involved in what people consider unacceptable.

Hahaha Anthony Turano is on the list and when the #metoo movement started and models were calling out photographers in the are he closed all his social media and blamed it on his "anxiety disorder" because he was too scared of the backlash

• Sad
I have worked with two photographers on the list, both with asterisks (3+ accusers), and I recall both of them making me feel uncomfortable, but wondering if I was taking comments the wrong way or being over-sensitive. It is a huge relief to be validated that it wasn’t just me and my own mind...

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users