SG hate

Apple

Rising Star
Jan 16, 2012
USA
I typed "skinny gossip" into google today, like I do all the time, and instead of clicking the top link leading to the official site, something caught my eye.

I saw a few different blogs pop up mentioning "skinny gossip" so I decided to take a look. There was a recovering anorexic's blog, a bodybuilder forum and a personal blog among others with different perspectives of this website.

The bodybuilder forum made me really mad It is so judgmental and ignorant and contains flat out lies of what they saw on the website. Here is the link if you want to check it out:

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=15855

Their avatar pictures of abnormally huge muscled women made me gag.

Whatever... As you said, their picture speak for themselves: DISGUSTING :superpuke:
They just took a look on the website without even taking the trouble to notice that we're about loosing weight the healthy weight. They can bash on skinny gossip as much as they want, it will not change my perception on what SG truly is. It's easy to judge and speak based on ignorance, their loss.

Hahaha one commenter goes on about how nasty the website/forum is, and then goes "but I cannot wrap my head around bashing another woman's body!", referring to SG saying Hayden P is a chubster.

Err, durr, you created an entire thread to bash our aesthetic. :rolleyes:

I actually don't think they said anything too bad. It seems like only one of them looked at the forum, the rest just looked through the site. It's been said by members of our own forum and even by me that when we first found the site we thought it was pro-ana and it wasn't until the forums came up that our views changed. They're not doing anything different than what we do here as far as criticizing views different from our own. We have tons of posts talking about other people's views on weight and whatnot, I think it's hypocritical to get mad when they state their opinions of this site on their forum. Everyone is different, everyone has their point of view and ideals. They're stating their views on their own forum, the correct place to do so. I don't understand why this makes you mad?

@Jane

The difference is that they claim we're mentally ill because we prefer a certain figure. This just bothers a bit too much. I just feel like they need to travel the world a bit more and discover different types of people! They seem too ignorant to know that being super skinny doesn't always mean unhealthy or on board to a death bed.
They're looped around one rule of what is considered healthy and perfect and that's just wrong! doesn't the media emphasize that "beauty comes in all different sizes and shapes" eh? Why are we forbidden to our preferences then?

It would've been okay if they'd said, "the skinny look is just unattractive and I don't like the bony figure" because then they would have stated their opinion on a certain aesthetic. But they were merely stating false assumptions and labels.

P.S. I hate Hayden's body as well, I think it looks wide & chunky. She's actually my favorite reverse thinspo since she's short as well.

Reactions: 1 user
People are so ignorant they just start bashing the forum before actually understanding it! Really annoys me especially when they call us pro-ana! Ok so fair enough we do judge alot of people in the spotlight as to how their bodies look but we have a right to our own opinion. They like to be chunky and we prefer the skinny aesthetic why cant they just accept that without criticising our opinions and views!

@Jane

The difference is that they claim we're mentally ill because we prefer a certain figure. This just bothers a bit too much. I just feel like they need to travel the world a bit more and discover different types of people! They seem too ignorant to know that being super skinny doesn't always mean unhealthy or on board to a death bed.
They're looped around one rule of what is considered healthy and perfect and that's just wrong! doesn't the media emphasize that "beauty comes in all different sizes and shapes" eh? Why are we forbidden to our preferences then?

It would've been okay if they'd said, "the skinny look is just unattractive and I don't like the bony figure" because then they would have stated their opinion on a certain aesthetic. But they were merely stating false assumptions and labels.

P.S. I hate Hayden's body as well, I think it looks wide & chunky. She's actually my favorite reverse thinspo since she's short as well.

This. I totally agree.

@Jane

I agree that thin does not mean on a deathbed but nowhere did I see them call us mentally ill. Like I said, the site can easily seem pro-ana and that's all they stated, that the site is pro-ana. I used to think it was.

They're not forbidding us anything, they are simply stating their opinions that we're crazy to want to look that thin, on their own forum. That's something that we do here every day. Every single day we talk about how being anything other than skinny is not attractive. We're looped around the rule that skinny is the best and healthiest as well, we also CONSTANTLY reject the media's "Beauty comes in all different sizes and shapes" propaganda so it's not really fair to use it in your argument right now and say that they should when we don't.

To them Hayden is actually a very healthy and attractive looking young woman and here you are stating her as reverse thinspo, calling her wide and chunky and saying that you hate her body. Hayden is actually not "fat" or unhealthy looking at all, she clearly works out quite a bit just like the women on this site. We call muscled women reverse thinspo all the time on our forum but when they call the starving tips and "Hayden and Emma are fat" posts crazy it's wrong? I think that's hypocritical. I personally don't like the ripped look but, whatever, at least they work just as hard for their aesthetic as we do for ours.

They are making an assumption that SG is pro-ana based on the site and some posts on the forum, that is true but that is an easy conclusion to come to considering many of us have felt that way about certain threads and the site when we found it and THERE ARE PRO-ANA PEOPLE ON HERE. Other than the thought that we're all pro-ana, I actually didn't see anything else stated as fact that was false. I see that thread as harmless and completely unworthy of any of our attention. Meh.

I agree that thin does not mean on a deathbed but nowhere did I see them call us mentally ill. Like I said, the site can easily seem pro-ana and that's all they stated, that the site is pro-ana. I used to think it was.

They're not forbidding us anything, they are simply stating their opinions that we're crazy to want to look that thin, on their own forum. That's something that we do here every day. Every single day we talk about how being anything other than skinny is not attractive. We're looped around the rule that skinny is the best and healthiest as well, we also CONSTANTLY reject the media's "Beauty comes in all different sizes and shapes" propaganda so it's not really fair to use it in your argument right now and say that they should when we don't.

To them Hayden is actually a very healthy and attractive looking young woman and here you are stating her as reverse thinspo, calling her wide and chunky and saying that you hate her body. Hayden is actually not "fat" or unhealthy looking at all, she clearly works out quite a bit just like the women on this site. We call muscled women reverse thinspo all the time on our forum but when they call the starving tips and "Hayden and Emma are fat" posts crazy it's wrong? I think that's hypocritical. I personally don't like the ripped look but, whatever, at least they work just as hard for their aesthetic as we do for ours.

They are making an assumption that SG is pro-ana based on the site and some posts on the forum, that is true but that is an easy conclusion to come to considering many of us have felt that way about certain threads and the site when we found it and THERE ARE PRO-ANA PEOPLE ON HERE. Other than the thought that we're all pro-ana, I actually didn't see anything else stated as fact that was false. I see that thread as harmless and completely unworthy of any of our attention. Meh.

I have no problem with a woman wanting to look like an anatomy chart & imitating the physique of a man. If that's what she loves then that's completely fine since it's her own preference. Same goes with Hayden, if she loves her body then that's great as well. Not for me though.

but as I said before, their ignorance suggests that the SG forums are promoting an illness and that's not fine at all!!! There is a difference between an opinion & a false claim.

@Serene

Agreed, there is a diff between an opinion and a false claim. Maybe someone should go set them straight?

@Jane

Anorexia is a mental illness, saying you are pro-ana (i HATE that term) is saying someone has a mental illness:

"I don't think it's sarcasm. I think it's blatant Pro-Ana. I hope those girls find the help that they need before they do lasting permanent damage to themselves."

"These sites are pro-ana and they have forums and message boards too from what I hear. I've seen articles on how to hide it from your family, how to do enemas properly to look skinnier, you name it. It's really a shame!"

"We are pro-fit not pro-danger and we look at each other for the positives we each have. And I love that this site exists to combat that horrible one."

So saying they didn't accuse members of be mentally ill is false. Also it states pure lies. No where on the site has enemas been discussed. That was pulled straight out of their asses.

But I understand it is a little hypocritical to be upset with their thread. I am not that upset over it, I just wanted to share.

@leigh

I acknowledged that they think the site is pro-ana and that the site can easily come off as such considering the posts on the site and quite a few of our threads. I guess the enema thing is the only other thing stated as fact that is ill-informed other than that we are supposedly pro-ana, which some girls here are.

I have not personally encountered any users that are promoting or are in favor of anorexia, the illness, so yes, it upset me.

Reactions: 1 user
Who ever said that Skinny Gossip was pro-ana?
Uh, no! Prejudice much?
Why do they assume we are mentally ill?
They like one body type and we like another. We're not doing anything truly dangerous to be this way. They aren't either.
OMG how much ignorance! Uh, they disgust me!

@Jane

Agreed.

The term pro-ana bothers me also. Since anorexia is a mental illness which stems from a complex psychology, I think it is unfair to equate "he who starves himself" with "an anorexic". Therein, stating that someone/something is pro-ana entails that someone/something is pro- the having of said mental illness.

I personally don't believe even the claimed "pro-ana" sites are for the spread or glorification of anorexia. (Although, I can't say I've looked into it much.) To me, these sites and forums are a place where like-minded people go to find support for what they are going through from people who understand. I see that as akin to what we're doing here on the SG forums - mutual support from like-minded people.

What I dislike about the tone of the thread is that they consider themselves "pro-fit" while we're superficial and "pro-danger". In my books, skinny is not unfit or anti-fit. Yeah, most of those women may be able to benchpress three times my weight, but I could probably outrun most of them. Aesthetic and fitness are not as closely related as a lot of anti-skinny people want to believe. That's where I believe their general ignorance lies. Fat/skinny is a subjective; it depends on personal perspective. Fitness is much more quantifiable and objective in my books.

Reactions: 1 users
What I dislike about the tone of the thread is that they consider themselves "pro-fit" while we're superficial and "pro-danger". In my books, skinny is not unfit or anti-fit. Yeah, most of those women may be able to benchpress three times my weight, but I could probably outrun most of them. Aesthetic and fitness are not as closely related as a lot of anti-skinny people want to believe. That's where I believe their general ignorance lies. Fat/skinny is a subjective; it depends on personal perspective. Fitness is much more quantifiable and objective in my books.

Beautifully said!! Well done!

I find their comments to be HUGE stereotypes, and way out of line.

First of all, acting like all of us are "anorexic" is like saying all bodybuilders use steroids. But we don't go bashing them saying huge generalizations like that. They are allowed to think what they want, but accusing someone of being "anorexic" or "pro ana" like it's just a word they can throw around is extremely hurtful. The internet is a place of freedom of speech. Forums like this are meant for a group of people that have similar opinions to share their ideas, as i would assume a bodybuilding forum would be. I have noticed many times that hardcore bodybuilders and figure competitors think that they know it all about body physique.

How about the fact that excessive high protein diets are proven to cause cancer? or that the milk they drink is full of hormones? yeah. point being, they have their ideas and we have ours, but we don't make sweeping generalizations about a group of people like that.