Secret Eaters - aka "I don't know where the weight comes from"

SecretMelody17

Super Star
Feb 6, 2012
Earth (usually)
This came up in the fat stories thread and I thought it deserves its own thread.
The show is called Secret Eaters, and the whole first season is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQTqGS4KfDk

It is basically our dream come true. All the fat people who claim to eat "so healthy" and have no idea how they aren't skinny are subjected to undercover surveilance and then confronted with how much they actually eat. :sneaky:

My mind is always boggled by the cluelessness and denial of these people.
I don't know if they just block out the memories of what they've eaten (which is somewhat understandable really :wtf:) or if they just delude themselves with fattie logic ("how can I be fat? I drink diet soda!!!" :hmm:).
Anyone got similar stories from people they know?

Actually, all my friends love to eat and to brag bout how much they ate. My BFF eats more than her father, and whenever we sit for coffee or a study session, she takes out chips, ferrero roche, mentos, and other candy and snacks on the table and keeps munching rom time to time. I'm proud to say that I never touch what she brings, even though I'm often in a fasted state.
Generally speaking, there's rarely anyone overweight where I live, which is strange since they usually gorge on carbs, and processed crap. Most of my friends are slim, a couple verging on thin. But I do know what you mean about people saying "I drink a glass of water and I gain weight. It's just the way I am!", and I'm like, "bitch please, I know you eat when nobody's watching. You can't fool me just because you refused the piece of cake your mother in law offered you before". Some people do have hormonal issues that put their weight out of their control (even though that can be controlled through diet as well), but for the most part they are just in denial in the same way a drug addict is and they don't want to abandon their addiction and they simply don't have the balls to say "enough", so they'd rather lie both to themselves and anyone else :rolleyes:

Well I kinda do understand how people can count their own calories wrong. I know a girl who always tracked what she ate on MFP, but when she had a slice of bread + cheese, she didn't put in MFP the bit of butter that was also on the slice. So little things like that can really add up, and make you think you're eating 1200 calories, when it's more around 1500 or even 2000.

Most people are also too lazy to weigh everything so they'll estimate the amount of food- and estimate it too low, probably. So that'll give extra calories as well :p

Well I kinda do understand how people can count their own calories wrong. I know a girl who always tracked what she ate on MFP, but when she had a slice of bread + cheese, she didn't put in MFP the bit of butter that was also on the slice. So little things like that can really add up, and make you think you're eating 1200 calories, when it's more around 1500 or even 2000.

Most people are also too lazy to weigh everything so they'll estimate the amount of food- and estimate it too low, probably. So that'll give extra calories as well :p

Yes, stuff like that is totally understandable, but this lady was going through the McDonald's drive thru for three meals plus two sides and a coke AFTER eating a big breakfast and leftover takeout from the night before, and then scratching her head at her weight. :confused:

The new series of this is on Thursday's (if you're in the UK)

I love seeing how stupid people are!

Reactions: 1 user
I used to be like this too. Well obviously not "forgetting" a whole McDonald's meal :rolleyes: but snacking here and there and only since I started counting calories religiously I realised how quickly you can reach your day's calorie goal just by having a little bite here and there.

I just started watching the show. "I eat healthy - usually I cook things like spaghetti bolognese."
And that poor dog! :facepalm:

oh wow, thanks for sharing! I didn't know this show, now I can't stop watching:D It really is very sad how so many people have such poor knowlegde about food.

Also when the mother said: " I don't understand, I buy fruits and veggies." Then she gets asked "Well do you eat it?" .... Silence "Hmmm sometimes I eat it!" :facepalm:

It is meaningless to buy healthy food if you don't eat it. It's even worse since you are wasting it.

It's also very sad how they really lie to themselves and try to deceive each others. I think they miss the point that losing weight and having a healthy lifestyle is all about yourself. If you don't do it for yourself, who are you doing it for?

But I think this show is very good because maybe some people may realise their really bad eating habits:D I mean, how can you eat about 7000cals and not realise it??? Haha and its motivating;)

Again thanks for sharing:)

I just watched an episode and loved it! I also really liked the little studies and such they do within the episodes, I think they're interesting. Also, this makes me wish there was an American equivalent so I could force this show on fat people I know who do this. :twisted:

Thanks for sharing! I definitely got sucked in. I can't believe how easy it is for these people to lie to themselves.

I love seeing how stupid people are!

:lol: lol I won't lie there is a certain delicious/malicious pleasure in that.

I've watched a few past episodes of this one and its pretty entertaining, I think though that a title like 'mindless' or 'clueless' eaters could've been more appropriate since it doesn't seem like any of these people are really going out of their way to eat in secret or hide what they're doing, they just don't seem to care/fully understand whats going on.

AMAZING show. Its freaky to me how some people, the ultra fat and the "naturally" skinny can be so oblivious to their eating habits. I am hyper aware of everything that goes between my lips.

This show should serve as an eye opener to modern society. I feel like I've been a little bit like that until I stumbled upon this forum, I was never THAT unconscious of what I ate though, I mean if I was on a diet, I was game.
These people are delusional but I would not say they are stupid, they are just completely ignorant. I can see how someone whose eating habits are completely crap since forever, have such a hard time dealing and understanding how it all works; for us is simple because we are pretty much obsessed with it, but I think its a good way for people who are ignorant on the subject to understand and change their habits.

I watched some of the episode you posted plus some of the second part and that girl is so delusional! Like you ate 7000 cals, how can you not realize it? People are too delusional, it is hilarious yet sad at the same time.

This show is amazing. I mean, I think we all knew that this is what was happening, but maybe it will get through to the people that it really needs to get through to.

I love how the UK has so many diet/food shows

That is actually so true. Here we only have one that treats very VERY obese people (think THE BIGGEST LOSER X 2) and its mostly centered in showing the public how they fight, dance (YES DANCE) and fight more. It used to be way much more into the nutrition aspect of the whole weight-loss deal, but gossip sells more :facepalm:
I wish we had a thousand of them, I love them and find them so inspiring.

I love how the UK has so many diet/food shows

Not nearly enough IMO :grin:

This show is definitely a contender for my favourite. The guy last week thought Sunday was his healthiest day because he 'actually got some veggies in' you guessed it, he got through 7000 calories that day.
Not just the eating habits but.. I can't help but laugh. She's a debt collector, he was in debt and the rest is history! :whistling:

Here we only have one that treats very VERY obese people (think THE BIGGEST LOSER X 2) and its mostly centered in showing the public how they fight, dance (YES DANCE) and fight more.

Wait holdup, what is this called? It sounds hilarious.