Sarah Hyland (from Modern Family)

Personally I take care of myself out of love for myself not hate so it’s not my style. Yes everyone has insecurities and you’re not going to love every part of yourself, but making the connection between hating yourself and therefore engaging in exercise (which obviously is one of the most important parts of self-care) rubs me the wrong way.

I don’t know. People have different priorities. Wanting to change something you don’t like can be hugely motivating. Her wording was a bit harsh, but honestly I get what she’s saying. And I do think negative thought is preferable to foregoing exercise altogether, so long as it’s not being used as a form of purging. Exercise is incredibly important when recovering from a health condition and for overall mood and function. So I say do what you need to do to stay active, even if that means sulking at your thighs in the mirror.

Sarah is being body shamed and called anorexic while recovering from a health crisis. She’s focusing on her health and weight to feel better about herself and move along in reclaiming a strong and slim body. Anyone who has ever lost weight (mostly muscle) rapidly due to a disease and experienced the terrible lethargy that comes with being skinnyfat understands this.

But yeah, the not liking something and wanting to change it... isn’t that why we’re all trying to be significantly underweight? Because we don’t like what we see or how we feel at a higher weight? We don’t like how our clothes fit? Or not feeling petite and graceful? Being underweight definitely isn’t the ideal human body. There are plenty of health risks associated with it. I’m not in the slightest pro-ana or any bs like that, but I’m also not deluding myself into thinking this is all out of self love.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I’m also tired of seeing people consistently netting 400-500 calories each day pretending that it’s just this overwhelmingly positive and healthy thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Edit:
Quite a few members over the years have just all of a sudden one day admitted to an ED. I think talking about this stuff frankly is key to sustaining transparency and a truly safe space where people pursuing extremely low body weights can feel supported and understood.

• Agree
  • Love
I don’t know. People have different priorities. Wanting to change something you don’t like can be hugely motivating. Her wording was a bit harsh, but honestly I get what she’s saying. And I do think negative thought is preferable to foregoing exercise altogether, so long as it’s not being used as a form of purging. Exercise is incredibly important when recovering from a health condition and for overall mood and function. So I say do what you need to do to stay active, even if that means sulking at your thighs in the mirror.

Sarah is being body shamed and called anorexic while recovering from a health crisis. She’s focusing on her health and weight to feel better about herself and move along in reclaiming a strong and slim body. Anyone who has ever lost weight (mostly muscle) rapidly due to a disease and experienced the terrible lethargy that comes with being skinnyfat understands this.

But yeah, the not liking something and wanting to change it... isn’t that why we’re all trying to be significantly underweight? Because we don’t like what we see or how we feel at a higher weight? We don’t like how our clothes fit? Or not feeling petite and graceful? Being underweight definitely isn’t the ideal human body. There are plenty of health risks associated with it. I’m not in the slightest pro-ana or any bs like that, but I’m also not deluding myself into thinking this is all out of self love.

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I’m also tired of seeing people consistently netting 400-500 calories each day pretending that it’s just this overwhelmingly positive and healthy thing.

I think there’s a difference between not liking something and wanting to change it vs striving to be the best version of yourself. The first comes from a “negative” starting point; you’re not good enough SO you need to change it. The second comes from a “positive” starting point of being good with where you are and wanting to enhance yourself even more.

From a health standpoint I agree that she should do whatever she needs to do to stay active and be healthy, however I don’t agree with the general mindset. I also don’t interpret this quote as someone who is “focusing on her health and weight to feel better about herself and move along in reclaiming a strong and slim body.” I think she should focus on being ok with her current self and approaching change only after she accepts herself rather than hating herself during the process.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there’s a difference between not liking something and wanting to change it vs striving to be the best version of yourself. The first comes from a “negative” starting point; you’re not good enough SO you need to change it. The second comes from a “positive” starting point of being good with where you are and wanting to enhance yourself even more.

From a health standpoint I agree that she should do whatever she needs to do to stay active and be healthy, however I don’t agree with the general mindset. I also don’t interpret this quote as someone who is “focusing on her health and weight to feel better about herself and move along in reclaiming a strong and slim body.” I think she should focus on being ok with her current self and approaching change only after she accepts herself rather than hating herself during the process.

That's true. In a way, our whole lives are just a continuous process of improvement, and just because you want to improve doesn't necessarily mean you dislike yourself the way you are in general. Just because you have one aspect of yourself you'd like to change doesn't mean you hate yourself.

On the subject of Sarah I don't know what's up with her; I feel like she's acting very strange about her weight right now. I agree with @Natalie that it's almost a bit too reminiscent of pro-ana bloggers. I mean, looking at the mirror naked while you exercise so you "hate yourself" is literally a tip I've seen on pro-ana websites before.

I do agree with @bisou that part of it is about getting your motivation to exercise, but even so I'm not sure if I'd phrase it like "hating yourself"; it's not a healthy mentality to have IMO.

• Agree
That's true. In a way, our whole lives are just a continuous process of improvement, and just because you want to improve doesn't necessarily mean you dislike yourself the way you are in general. Just because you have one aspect of yourself you'd like to change doesn't mean you hate yourself.

On the subject of Sarah I don't know what's up with her; I feel like she's acting very strange about her weight right now. I agree with @Natalie that it's almost a bit too reminiscent of pro-ana bloggers. I mean, looking at the mirror naked while you exercise so you "hate yourself" is literally a tip I've seen on pro-ana websites before.

I do agree with @bisou that part of it is about getting your motivation to exercise, but even so I'm not sure if I'd phrase it like "hating yourself"; it's not a healthy mentality to have IMO.
Look, I think we've all had moments of hating ourselves. Shit, I currently can't stand what a fat cow I've become- I hate myself more than anyone or anything thing else. But you know what's more troubling about Hylands declaration of self hatred? She's framing it as advice.

I'm on antidepressants and am a recovering self harmer/alcoholic. I agree with her methods, but good god I know not I- nor anyone- should practice them. That's a one-way trip down a mental health shit show that no one should advocate for. It's dangerous and irresponsible, especially for a young celebrity that's looked up to by young and impressionable women.

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Love it when women as short as Sarah manage to look like this

Attachments

• C1EDDCB8-3E3C-44ED-9239-DDFD92103F2E.jpeg
    C1EDDCB8-3E3C-44ED-9239-DDFD92103F2E.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 3AD3175D-3020-455A-BC8E-4CCFACB09E81.jpeg
    3AD3175D-3020-455A-BC8E-4CCFACB09E81.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 308
Reactions: 6 users
i can’t stand the train of the dress but I agree her body is good for an actress - is anyone else offput by how tan she is in these photos though? It looks over the top unnatural to me and not necessary
It looks like it’s within the realm of standard as far as SoCal spray tans go. I think that shade of purple in her dress coupled with the blue background in photo 2 is what’s making her look obnoxiously orange.

Agree though, either way it’s not cute