Saint Laurent Ads 'Banned' by ASA

Skinny Gurl

The Entertainment
Reaction score
Website
www.skinnygossip.com
https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2015/6/Yves-Saint-Laurent-SAS/SHP_ADJ_292161.aspx#.VW98BGTBwXD

http://www.eonline.com/news/662784/saint-laurent-ad-banned-for-using-underweight-model-with-visible-rib-cage-get-the-scoop

I find this outrageous! The ASA: "We therefore considered that the model appeared unhealthily underweight in the image and concluded that the ad was irresponsible." - so please tell me, what skills do you have that you can tell a model is unhealthily underweight but just looking at an image? There's Photoshop, lighting, "sucking it in", and of course posing, all things that can make a model look skinnier. And are these people at the ASA doctors? It's ridiculous that this organization is determining what is "unhealthily underweight" ... what about unhealthily OVERWEIGHT??? So sad.

Jailbait

Super Star
Reaction score
Outrageous! I have seen way more skinnier "outrageous" ads. This one is tame!

skinnieminnie

Rising Star
Reaction score
My personal views on skinny aside, I do not see what such a shock to the system regarding this ad and having it banned versus other ads out there.
I think the model looks great - what a shame

sabine

VIP - Insider
VIP
Reaction score
Total utter fucking bullshit. The media are harassing Kiki personally about something that's unrepresentative of her as a human being. It's really horrible and entirely unfair to hold up an individual like this and make her feel responsible for something just for a mass reaction. Can they not stop for one moment and at have an ounce of care for the affect this sort of thing would have on her? Disgusting. We need to learn how to treat people like people.

Can they not see that this sort of reporting is just as irresponsible as they believe the campaign to be?

ZeroDiet

SkinnyGossip Royal
Reaction score
This is bullshit. Her ribs (xylo?) isn't even all that prominent. She is long and thin, yes, but she's also taller than the average land whale.
Banning BMI <18 should necessitate the reciprocal action of banning BMI >25.5 (23.5 in Asian countries). And all those "plus sized" models with BMIs in the 40-60s should just be fined for being societally irresponsible already.

ThinLove

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is just so stupid! People are looking into the image way too much. Don't they have better things to spend their time on?

'The ASA considered that the model’s pose and the particular lighting effect in the ad drew particular focus to the model’s chest, where her rib cage was visible and appeared prominent, and to her legs, where her thighs and knees appeared a similar width, and which looked very thin, particularly in light of her positioning and the contrast between the narrowness of her legs and her platform shoes. We therefore considered that the model appeared unhealthily underweight in the image and concluded that the ad was irresponsible.'

Is 'we' a medical commitee who have examined the model in person and concluded through extensive examination that she is unhealthy and underweight? No- they just saw an image which wasn't to their standards and tastes.

'France is among Spain and Italy as countries in the U.K. taking a stand against scary-skinny models in the fashion industry, setting a precedent that hopefully more are soon to follow.'

Hiding 'scary-skinny' models from the public is not going to solve the implied problems of people aspiring to look like models in magazines and maybe using extreme methods to get there to achieve such a look. You are bound to eventually see or meet a skinny person in day to day life, so what are they going to do next? Ban skinny people from showing up in public?

Mandy.Bowie

Super Star
Reaction score
Yeah, you don't ban the sexist ads but you ban the one's that don't fit your female body critera.

marieebo

Grand Dame
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with the model in the picture, how do they know that she's unhealthy? This is actually insulting. I'm so tired of this stuff now. It's getting boring

AnnaLeah Rose

Trash
Banned
Reaction score
The spring 2015 ads from Saint Laurent designer Hedi Slimane show 18-year-old model Kiki Willems in poses that highlight her long arms and legs. But an anonymous complainant reported the ads, which appeared in an issue of Elle U.K., to the ASA—citing the photos as "irresponsible" in portraying an "unhealthily thin" figure.

Yeah, and "anonymous" was probably a jealous 500-pound lard sack.

elleblass

Rising Star
Reaction score
If ads like this are banned, so should plus size modelling ads - being obese or overweight is far, far more detrimental to health, as well as the ridiculous and avoidable burden it poses on the economy. This is just bullshit, out and out

Reactions: Mandy.Bowie

AnnaLeah Rose

Trash
Banned
Reaction score
If ads like this are banned, so should plus size modelling ads - being obese or overweight is far, far more detrimental to health, as well as the ridiculous and avoidable burden it poses on the economy. This is just bullshit, out and out
Amen! All these media complaints about thin models are soooooo one-sided, it infuriates me so much. Like, isn't using an OBESE model kind of irresponsible?

Tess Holliday:

Dilyara Larina:

I was going to search for more, but now I don't want to, ha . . .:run:

Reactions: Mandy.Bowie

DreamerFighter

Worker Bee
Reaction score
Wait, let me get this straight, all this is over ONE SINGLE little complaint?!
out of thousands who would have seen the ad ONE complains and that's it, all over?!
Pfffft not impressed