Saddest movie ever?

"Life Is Beautiful" :(
La Piel Que Habito was also very sad and shocking! Can't forget this story.
i cry over movies ALL the time , im a very empathetic person but recently i watched Boys Don't Cry starring Hillary Swank and Chloe Sevigny (freakin love her style aswell so v grungy) , and i balled my eyes out at the last 15-20 mins.

So sad :cry:
Yes...! Haven't watched this for years, so so sad! But still one of my favorites... I love Chloe :luv:

Probably Requiem for a Dream. Not only sad, but extremely dark and disturbing. But oh, it's incredible nonetheless. The acting is absolutely amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe no one has mentioned The Road! That movie is ridiculously depressing. I've seen it twice and both times I've been left in a funk for dayyyyys. Weird fact: I know I guy who grew up in the house the cannibal scene was filmed in. His bedroom was in the basement :run:

I couldn't watch more than ten minutes of that film - far too depressing for me!

I have to agree with @Tinyportia about Dumbo. That's the saddest film in the world for me.

Melancholia - Top saddest movies I've seen.
Lost in Translation
Factory Girl
Antichrist
Requiem for a Dream
Candy
Lolita
Black Swan
Blue Valentine
Stroszek
Gummo
Dancer in the Dark - perhaps THE saddest movie ever created. Also props to Bjork.
Prozac Nation
American Beauty
Blue is the Warmest Color
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Into the Wild
Her
Palo Alto - I don't think most people think of this as a sad film, but left me with a lingering melancholia.
Charlie Countryman - underrated. If you don't like Shia LaBeouf, this will change your mind. Beautiful soundtrack and cinematography.

Some of these aren't typical/cliché sad movies, but I just think they are haha. We should bring this thread back around because I thrive on suggestions.

Reactions: 1 user
FrançoiseEllyn you have a great taste in movies! I like all of the ones you mentioned.. Esp. Requiem for a Dream! Which version of Lolita do you mean? I think Kubrick's version is a hundred times better :shy:
Some I haven't seen mentioned and would like to add: La migliore offerta, Brokeback Mountain, Mommy

FrançoiseEllyn you have a great taste in movies! I like all of the ones you mentioned.. Esp. Requiem for a Dream! Which version of Lolita do you mean? I think Kubrick's version is a hundred times better :shy:
Some I haven't seen mentioned and would like to add: La migliore offerta, Brokeback Mountain, Mommy
Kubrick's version is one thousand times better if you want the more authentic version. The 97 version forgoes the black humor and true meaning of the book. Jeremy Irons is the most handsome man to me so I'm a bit impartial to him!
YES Brokeback mountain. Heath holds such a huge part in my heart.

The Road was horrendously depressing.

But my top 3 saddest movies are Schindler's List, The Pianist and #1 is Stalingrad, which coincidently, I also think is best WW2 film ever made. The 1993 one not the new one.

Reactions: 2 users
Saddest movie ever though: Grave of the Fireflies. I could barely watch it all the way trough, I was sobbing so much.

Oh, yes, definitely. I think all WWII related stories are incredibly depressing, but Grave of The Fireflies is one of the most heartbreaking ones.

Also, I recently saw this movie:

YyRwCQf.jpg

It's a beautiful film and actually has some humorous situations in it, but it made me cry like four times throughout the film... has anybody else seen it? Am I just a crybaby? :nervous:

I don't know if it's the saddest movie ever but I remember the first movie I ever cried in was "Radio" with Cuba Gooding Jr. playing a mentally handicapped student - I started sobbing. Since then the only movie I distinctively recall crying during was "Up" as many said before..and also the scene in the Toby McGuire version of Spiderman when his uncle dies. Strange films make me sad I guess!

"I origins" was the last movie that made me cry and since then i've watched it at least 5 times and each time i cried like a baby.
though i'm the only one among my friends who actually cried so idk is that me being hypersensetive and the film isn't really sad:wtf:

The boy in the striped pajamas. It was so sad I got mad.

I remember The Pianist being heartwrenching - I thought about it for days afterwards. I cried like a bitch at the end of Brokeback Mountain too.

Yesterday I watched Grave of the Fireflies about two children in Japan during the World War II bombings and it broke my heart. Definitely recommend it, but keep some tissues nearby.

uhm... i think it's The Help. Last night I was pretty bored and so i decided to watch one of my dvds.... I cried so much! it talks about racism and a friendship between a white girl (who's Emma Stone:luv::luv:) and some black maids. beautiful film.