S/s 2013

I'm just mad that there was BARELY ANY MODELS OF COLOR OR ASIAN MODELS like wtf it was such a bad season for them, I was so happy to see JPG with different models and all ethnicities but I can't believe some designers are so racist, to say the truth!

Agreed! :highfive:
Especially the black models, they were so rare!
I don't think designers are racist but they want to advertise and sell to their costumers (which are mostly white), so it makes sense if you see it in a financial point of view.
It's really sad though. I was hoping to see more black models this season :(

I was elated to see the diversity in JPG too though! I was jumping up and down with excitement when I saw Ajak and Lais and Jourdan! :bow: Although the only Asian model was the overused Liu Wen... :meh:
Well, it can't be perfect, can it? :)

Agreed! :highfive:
Especially the black models, they were so rare!
I don't think designers are racist but they want to advertise and sell to their costumers (which are mostly white), so it makes sense if you see it in a financial point of view.
It's really sad though. I was hoping to see more black models this season :(

I was elated to see the diversity in JPG too though! I was jumping up and down with excitement when I saw Ajak and Lais and Jourdan! :bow: Although the only Asian model was the overused Liu Wen... :meh:
Well, it can't be perfect, can it? :)

Well actually most of the people that can actually afford designer clothes that aren't celebrities (which most of them don't even really have to buy) are woman from Arabic countries which are obviously mostly not white therefore the designers are being racist, in economic times like this they should be trying to sell their clothing to a very broad range of people and putting more blonde/blue eyed models in the cat walk isn't really doing them any favors. They'll probably sell well on the Russian market but not in Asia or Latin places like Brasil that are having economic success atm and maybe there are possible clients there

Well actually most of the people that can actually afford designer clothes that aren't celebrities (which most of them don't even really have to buy) are woman from Arabic countries which are obviously mostly not white therefore the designers are being racist, in economic times like this they should be trying to sell their clothing to a very broad range of people and putting more blonde/blue eyed models in the cat walk isn't really doing them any favors. They'll probably sell well on the Russian market but not in Asia or Latin places like Brasil that are having economic success atm and maybe there are possible clients there

Really? :wtf: From Arabic countries? I didn't know that! I always thought that maybe because of their culture or religion they don't wear straight off the runway looks...
However, if a large part of the costumers are non-white, then I guess it is racist to use mostly white models and barely any ethnic ones. :meh:
Ah... It's confusing. And unfair, really. :(

Really? :wtf: From Arabic countries? I didn't know that! I always thought that maybe because of their culture or religion they don't wear straight off the runway looks...
However, if a large part of the costumers are non-white, then I guess it is racist to use mostly white models and barely any ethnic ones. :meh:
Ah... It's confusing. And unfair, really. :(

yeah, here is an article about it and it was published in 2011 so I'm guessing it has only grown since then
ARTICLE
i am so sad the fashion months ended lol, I loved watching live feeds in my phone instead of paying attention to my teacher ^.^

yeah, here is an article about it and it was published in 2011 so I'm guessing it has only grown since then
ARTICLE
i am so sad the fashion months ended lol, I loved watching live feeds in my phone instead of paying attention to my teacher ^.^

Wow. That article is REALLY interesting. And ironically, there are never any arab models :rolleyes:

About fashion month ending: I feel the same way :( No more excuses to procrastinate *sigh* better do history homework now

I don't think lack of diversity will be a problem when selling to Asian consumers because the 3 target countries in Asia for luxury goods (Korea, China, Japan) all favor white beauty standards over traditional Asian beauty standards. That's why almost all their ads feature either white models (ex: Constance fronting EL makeup lines released in Asia as opposed to Liu) or Asian models with European features (ex: large eyes, porcelain white skin, long nose with small nostrils). I don't know about the beauty standards in Asian countries aside from China, Japan, or Korea, but they don't really matter when dealing with diversity in the fashion industry because they aren't huge markets for high-end designers anyway.

But does the ethnicity of the runway models used REALLY matter? Most of the clients will not go to a fashion show to see what clothes they want to buy. I doubt most of them would know whether or not a certain designer featured ethnic models or not. I think the ethnicity of the model only matters in ad campaigns. This doesn't mean I don't want to see more ethnic models on the runways. My point is, since the ethnicity of the models used on the runway will probably not make an impact on the sales, designers shouldn't be afraid of using models of color!

My Favorites this Season

Favorite NYFW show:
Tie between Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Herrera (something they both had in common was that they were incredibly feminine and elegant and I loved both of the casts)

Favorite LFW show:
Tie between Burberry Prorsum (don't give a damn if the trench coat thing is getting old, still awesome) and Mulberry (not too fun but not too smart either, perfectly in the middle and extremely wearable. Oh, and the poodle that walked next to Kinga Rajzak was adorable!:luv:)

Favorite MFW show:
Moschino (liked the black and white at the beginning as well as the crazy flower patterns in the middle) and Blumarine (the most magical and fairy-like show this season! It looked as if the Sugarplum Fairy could pop out in any second, which I loved because it is the Spring collection :lol:)

Favorite PFW show:
Tie between Viktor & Rolf (absolutely adored those long, flowy greek goddess gowns), Valentino (very girly and somewhat whimsical, and still full of class and looks ladylike, don't care if the casting was lame) and Elie Saab (those lavish and ethereal dresses are to die for :luv:, you can't get more graceful than that :bow:)

And my least favorite shows were John Galliano (fugly, fugly, fugly :facepalm::superpuke:), Givenchy (Zzzzzz...) and Louis Vuitton (actually liked many of the looks, but OH GOD CHECKERS OVERLOAD!!! :superpuke:)

I don't think lack of diversity will be a problem when selling to Asian consumers because the 3 target countries in Asia for luxury goods (Korea, China, Japan) all favor white beauty standards over traditional Asian beauty standards. That's why almost all their ads feature either white models (ex: Constance fronting EL makeup lines released in Asia as opposed to Liu) or Asian models with European features (ex: large eyes, porcelain white skin, long nose with small nostrils). I don't know about the beauty standards in Asian countries aside from China, Japan, or Korea, but they don't really matter when dealing with diversity in the fashion industry because they aren't huge markets for high-end designers anyway.

But does the ethnicity of the runway models used REALLY matter? Most of the clients will not go to a fashion show to see what clothes they want to buy. I doubt most of them would know whether or not a certain designer featured ethnic models or not. I think the ethnicity of the model only matters in ad campaigns. This doesn't mean I don't want to see more ethnic models on the runways. My point is, since the ethnicity of the models used on the runway will probably not make an impact on the sales, designers shouldn't be afraid of using models of color!

well I think it DOES matter for that very reason, I mean if designers keep using white models int heir shows and campaigns other cultures will never see themselves as beautiful...it's not really a theory or anything it's the truth. If models represent their target audience what designers are saying is that they don't want people of color to buy there clothes, only white people which through out history are the "privileged ones" so yes, I do think it matters, designers are going back in history and hiring less and less models of color instead of progressing

well I think it DOES matter for that very reason, I mean if designers keep using white models int heir shows and campaigns other cultures will never see themselves as beautiful...it's not really a theory or anything it's the truth. If models represent their target audience what designers are saying is that they don't want people of color to buy there clothes, only white people which through out history are the "privileged ones" so yes, I do think it matters, designers are going back in history and hiring less and less models of color instead of progressing

Of course it will make a societal impact, but my point was that lack of diversity will not affect sales in Asia because the target countries in Asia all prefer white girls anyway.

What are your thoughts on the ODLR vs Cathy Horyn and Hedi Slimane vs Cathy Horyn disagreements?

I was on team ODLR for ODLR vs Cathy Horyn because although the review was positive, calling him a hot dog was completely random. How was anyone supposed to know what she meant by calling a designer a hot dog? I can see why he would be offended by that since it wasn't clear exactly what she meant, and I thought his response (calling her a 3-day old hot dog) was pretty clever, although buying advertising space in WWD (?) just to publish that is kind of ostentatious.

For Hedi Slimane vs. Cathy Horyn, I can't really agree with either side because both sides were acting completely immature. Cathy Horyn's review is ridiculous, you can tell she's bitter that she wasn't invited. However, Hedi Slimane's PR team's response is equally ridiculous. I mean, saying that she has an agenda is okay, but picking on her style? Really? Not to mention the terrible grammar.

And I just lost ALL RESPECT for Lady Gaga for getting involved in all this! The only reason she sided with ODLR and Slimane was because she hates Cathy Horyn. I bet she doesn't even know the whole story. And how ridiculous is it that she claims anti-bullying yet still wrote that stupid Mugler rap bullying Cathy and her boyfriend? Pretentious bitch.

What are your thoughts on the ODLR vs Cathy Horyn and Hedi Slimane vs Cathy Horyn disagreements?

I was on team ODLR for ODLR vs Cathy Horyn because although the review was positive, calling him a hot dog was completely random. How was anyone supposed to know what she meant by calling a designer a hot dog? I can see why he would be offended by that since it wasn't clear exactly what she meant, and I thought his response (calling her a 3-day old hot dog) was pretty clever, although buying advertising space in WWD (?) just to publish that is kind of ostentatious.

For Hedi Slimane vs. Cathy Horyn, I can't really agree with either side because both sides were acting completely immature. Cathy Horyn's review is ridiculous, you can tell she's bitter that she wasn't invited. However, Hedi Slimane's PR team's response is equally ridiculous. I mean, saying that she has an agenda is okay, but picking on her style? Really? Not to mention the terrible grammar.

And I just lost ALL RESPECT for Lady Gaga for getting involved in all this! The only reason she sided with ODLR and Slimane was because she hates Cathy Horyn. I bet she doesn't even know the whole story. And how ridiculous is it that she claims anti-bullying yet still wrote that stupid Mugler rap bullying Cathy and her boyfriend? Pretentious bitch.

Ugh tbh I think all three of them were being immature because I mean ODLR answering back like that how old is he? but I do agree with him because she crossed that professional line and insulted him personally instead of sticking to critiquing the clothes themselves. And I think it was so immature of Hedi not to invite her to his shows again, no matter what I think that you will ALWAYS be judged as a designer (and as an artist, period) you have to respect the fact that not everyone is going to like the things you create. I support Cathy because I am tired of reading reviews after reviews of journalists praising every single designer for this very reason, just to get invited to shows or get on the good sides of the designers. and tbh when I think of Gaga and fashion i am just like whatever you are wearing Versace honey nothing special

Ugh tbh I think all three of them were being immature because I mean ODLR answering back like that how old is he? but I do agree with him because she crossed that professional line and insulted him personally instead of sticking to critiquing the clothes themselves. And I think it was so immature of Hedi not to invite her to his shows again, no matter what I think that you will ALWAYS be judged as a designer (and as an artist, period) you have to respect the fact that not everyone is going to like the things you create. I support Cathy because I am tired of reading reviews after reviews of journalists praising every single designer for this very reason, just to get invited to shows or get on the good sides of the designers. and tbh when I think of Gaga and fashion i am just like whatever you are wearing Versace honey nothing special

Yeah, Hedi Slimane needs to get over himself. I heard that he's still bitter over Cathy Horyn saying that he got inspired by Raf Simons in years ago which is why he didn't invite her? He's obviously just jealous of Simons, which makes him look really bad because Raf didn't say anything when there was all that buzz over Hedi Slimane's slim menswear suits even though he did it first in comparison to Hedi who got pissed because Cathy was trying to give some credit to Raf! I'm not a fan of Raf Simons as a designer, but I respect that he doesn't have a huge, unnecessary ego!

Oh yeah that said, I'm not defending Cathy either because although I'm a fan of her honesty, she can be biased at times and her review of SLP seemed very bitter. I agreed with some of what she said about the collection, but the other stuff she included in the review like how she wasn't invited, slimane holding a grudge over an old review, and journalists having to stand in the back was so unnecessary and the fact that she included that stuff AND the way that she wrote it made the review seem very unprofessional.

But I'm not defending Hedi either because all of his response tweets are also very immature. So basically I disagree with everyone in this argument :lol:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/fashion/article3556315.ece
This article (if that's what you can call this piece of shit) was also very unpleasant to read. There were just so many hidden (or blatant) attacks at Hedi. She's just taking advantage of the drama to hate on Hedi and create even more drama. Makes her look like she's either bitter over how the journalists were treated or an attention whore that's taking advantage of the situation.