Romee Strijd

Screenshot 2019-08-24 at 19.36.34.png

1) I don't normally find Romee even loosely attractive, but facially she is quite gorgeous in this picture. Yes, I know it's facetuned to oblivion but really my only question is whether she has discovered the 'reshape' tool? Her waist clearly needs it.
2) She really is living from sponsored endorsement to sponsored endorsement, isn't she? From that crummy spa to being #EtihadGuest at Mumbai fashion week? She's like the Super Bowl of VS models: all commercials and little game.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users
2) She really is living from sponsored endorsement to sponsored endorsement, isn't she? From that crummy spa to being #EtihadGuest at Mumbai fashion week? She's like the Super Bowl of VS models: all commercials and little game.

I know someone who is a mommy blogger and their careers are remarkably similar at the moment; sponsored endorsements and photos of mediocre food they made for themselves.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users
4E4D7DBC-CBC5-474A-AA5E-E03ADC981529.jpeg
4490F4FC-6763-4A31-A2DC-B6C76229984A.jpeg
99F790B4-C037-4906-8CC9-872CF6FD1938.jpeg
2EB14F2B-16EC-416C-9C59-3E46C90F5839.jpeg
5623B76D-47B6-4CD6-947B-D20CCCB95305.jpeg
8C6CB4F8-18B4-4B17-AD45-80747F9E7CF0.jpeg
BD95D700-73F2-4EF8-A405-DAD52B6D4F66.jpeg

This Elle Italia cover story is terrible. Literally revolting. She’s vacant-eyed and puffy all over, but even her skinny fit ghost probably couldn’t make some of those matronly styling choices look high fashion. I like to think she’s looking slightly better recently and these are taken during her worst moments but that would be giving her too much credit.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
This Elle Italia cover story is terrible. Literally revolting. She’s vacant-eyed and puffy all over, but even her skinny fit ghost probably couldn’t make some of those matronly styling choices look high fashion. I like to think she’s looking slightly better recently and these are taken during her worst moments but that would be giving her too much credit.

Some of those photos are kinda passable to me, but the cover—from Romee's comically puffy lips to the unfortunate styling choices that make her knees look like sagging boobs—is just ghoulish (also lol "American wasp") :

elle-36-2019-cover-romee-strud-1568634632.jpg

Especially compared to Romee on the US Elle cover not even a full two years ago :facepalm:

gallery-1513081418-romee.jpg

She just uploaded a video to YouTube entitled “weight struggles” but it’s private now so we can’t watch 🤔

• WTF
It's not on private, just unlisted. You can still see it.

I think she made it private right after you posted it ? I didn’t watch the end (it was just about her and her bf) & I have an exam to study for, but here’s a quick summary:

In the first few years of her modeling she struggled a lot with isolation & being alone. She also got visibly uncomfortable whenever she mentioned how hard it was for her to watch her weight (“It’s not as easy for me to stay as slim as most girls”) . She put most of her value into her appearance, taking rejection really personally. She said she wanted to quit, yet continued to model because she didn’t want to let everyone down.

Once she started getting serious work she switched to a more flexible private school, but failed the exams & dropped out. When she was 16/17 her parents got divorced & that took its toll on her, & during that fashion month she had frequent severe panic attacks.
She took a year off from modeling to get her high school degree, gained weight & felt very ashamed of it, cycling through basically restriction & binge cycles (not her words). Talking about the panic attacks & weight/food related shame made her v emotional & tearful.

After that year she then turned 18 & spend from May to September preparing for the Victoria secret casting, which she got (obviously). That’s where I stopped watching

Watching her video make me feel much better about not getting into modeling when I was scouted at 14. Everyone around me was kind of pressuring me to do it but I really didn’t want to do it. Fast forward to now (started recently) I sometimes regret not starting earlier because I felt like I would be farther into my career. But now after hearing so many stories like this I am grateful for my decision. I had some great experiences as a teenager that I possibly would not have had had I been away modeling. (Also learning experiences). I can’t imagine the pressure considering you’re still growing and figuring things out. Kudos to those who did start at such a young age though!

I actually quite liked her video. I found it very sweet and sincere and I appreciated the vulnerability and that she opened up about some of her struggles. Some might find it whiny or annoying, but I think I'll personally always have a a bit of a soft spot for Romee.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I watched most of her videos, including this one. She's still so innocent in a way. She is absolutely unable to be alone, that was obvious from before - I think she traveled alone in one video and she was visibly uncomfortable.
I have a soft spot for her - her body was maybe the most amazing thing I have personally ever seen, and I cannot forget that.
And now, she's made herself more likeable to me. I kind of understand now why she is pretty bland, and Lawrence too. They have their own world and not much else.
And also, even though I knew how damaging for such young girls the industry is, this made it that much more painfully obvious.
But this is just my point of view.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Stories like this make me so grateful for not going full time till I graduated. I did a summer abroad (with my mom as a chaperone) and local shoots and a small handful of direct bookings but I cannot imagine dealing with all the pressures of this industry alone, while trying to handle the pressures of school as well. I have utmost respect for all the models who started full time when they were younger, especially before we had smartphones to help us with everything and keep in touch with loved ones, or those from other countries who didn’t speak English that well. And while I’m sure there’s a small handful of girls who can handle the pressure, I think it’s good that for the most part girls need to be over 18 to work much (at least from what I’ve seen).

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone had doubts that Romee deserves her spot in takedowns, here's the final proof:

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 14.15.40.png

"I brought a hand suitcase full of snacks from New York because it's so hard for me to find snacks in Paris"
*brings peanut butter cups, chips and chocolate* :headbang:

She's still so innocent in a way.
I found it very sweet and sincere
And now, she's made herself more likeable to me.

See, I cannot appreciate her vulnerability and innocence naiveness no matter how hard I try. She is consciously sabotaging herself. I really don't want to think bad about her because she seems good at heart but, hell, her youtube tearjerkers are not enough to justify the food choices. There are models who work hard and achieve results. Romee stuffs her mouth with sugar and thinks that uploading a sad video will compensate for it. It's immature, arrogant and disrespectful towards the industry and hard-working girls (and boys).

Having a baby face helps a lot in creating this angelic image, I don't buy it.

• Agree
  • Gross
Reactions: 10 users
f anyone had doubts that Romee deserves her spot in takedowns, here's the final proof:

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 14.15.40.png

"I brought a hand suitcase full of snacks from New York because it's so hard for me to find snacks in Paris"
*brings peanut butter cups, chips and chocolate* :headbang:
At first I was like "ok, who cares, she's barely a model anymore anyway and her Youtube audience are teenage girls" but even then, who on earth would bring an entire suitcase filled with fatty snacks on a trip????? This is honestly ridiculous and it SCREAMS food obsession. "Why modeling gave me an eating disorder" promotional campaign incoming.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users