Romee Strijd

Status
Not open for further replies.
@irid3scence I think you’re confusing marketing, as well as your personal biases against certain professions or people, for stupidity on Romee’s part. I’ve said all of this before, but:

a) her “vapid” social media is the marketing she and VS use to sell underwear to the masses

b) her not giving reading recommendations on Instagram (???) is unfair to criticize as it isn’t required of her job, and yes, Instagram is a huge part of her job.

c) the wording you used was “professional bimbo”, which I can only interpret as promoting stupidity as per her job requirements. She is not doing that and if she has, you haven’t given any concrete proof apart from your own judgment. Btw your “points” about Stella and Ming Xi aren’t really arguments, you’re just naming a few models whose public personas you admire. They don’t make Romee any more or less dumb.

Haven’t gotten a chance to use one of these in a while :D
View attachment 57342

@irid3scence I think you’re confusing marketing, as well as your personal biases against certain professions or people, for stupidity on Romee’s part. I’ve said all of this before, but:

a) her “vapid” social media is the marketing she and VS use to sell underwear to the masses

b) her not giving reading recommendations on Instagram (???) is unfair to criticize as it isn’t required of her job, and yes, Instagram is a huge part of her job.

c) the wording you used was “professional bimbo”, which I can only interpret as promoting stupidity as per her job requirements. She is not doing that and if she has, you haven’t given any concrete proof apart from your own judgment. Btw your “points” about Stella and Ming Xi aren’t really arguments, you’re just naming a few models whose public personas you admire. They don’t make Romee any more or less dumb.

Haven’t gotten a chance to use one of these in a while :D
View attachment 57342

(b) I don't mean "recommendations". I don't think all models who post/mention books actually read them cover to cover (if at all), either. They are trying to be or at least come across as well read. Also, I'm not sure Sasha Luss's literary quotes and mentions of her reading augment or further endear her to her existing audience, but she does that on SM anyway.

(c) That was not my working definition of "professional bimbo", as specified in the posts above. And no, I don't "admire" Stella or Ming's personas so much as find them much more agreeable.

"Bimboism" isn't operationally defined in the DSM-V. So yes, it is my opinion/biases/judgment. I am allowed to have those, no? I don't think all (or even most or many) models are bimbos in actuality or image, and I can't imagine hanging out with Romee for >5 minutes. It's not that complicated.

Romee has actually finished her HAVO which is above average in the Netherlands. She once said in a Dutch interview “If I’ll ever fall on my face I’ve got nothing, with a diploma I still have options”.

Doubt she is really is dumb, she just knows how to cater to a large audience. People who post pretty pictures with empty captions have the highest engagement on social media and a social media presence is important for her job.

Stella & Ming do loads of work other than VS unlike Romee I’m to assume they’re not under the same pressure to deliver as @proseccoprincess stated the “girl next door” image; while I do respect your opinion I still don’t agree that’s its valid to label her as a bimbo based on a single post you came across on this forum. You stated that you can’t imagine hanging out with Romee for under 5 minutes but yet you don’t follow her SM closely enough to assess this “bimboism” you’re labeling her with? Let’s not play technicality here there’s an obvious connotation that bimbo holds and you’re standing by that opinion based off of a single occurrence. I’d respect your opinion if you possibly watched some of her vlogs or actually did follow her on SM, she doesn’t carry her social persona in a way that I would associate with the word bimbo. She undeniably has a cringeworthy “relatable” body positivity essence to her but definitely nothing I’d compare to bimboism.

(b) I don't mean "recommendations". I don't think all models who post/mention books actually read them cover to cover (if at all), either. They are trying to be or at least come across as well read.

That’s a pretty unfair presumption to make. Unless it’s a “sponsored” post in which case, you may be right - but this probably the case for a lot of sponsored content and not specific to models either. Also, to play the anecdotal evidence card - I have 2 friends that are models and they are some of the smartest and most well-read people I know.

That’s a pretty unfair presumption to make. Unless it’s a “sponsored” post in which case, you may be right - but this probably the case for a lot of sponsored content and not specific to models either. Also, to play the anecdotal evidence card - I have 2 friends that are models and they are some of the smartest and most well-read people I know.

Come on you guys, it's the 21st century. Are we really, REALLY even discussing that? Associating modelling with being "a dumb blonde" ended in, like, the 70s. It used to be one of the most cliche associations but I truly believed we were done with this shit. @Tinyportia I'm right behind you and screaming out loud (just in case somebody missed it):

USING YOUR LOOKS TO EARN MONEY DOES NOT MEAN YOU DO THIS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T USE YOUR BRAIN TO EARN IT.
It's not mutually exclusive.
Yes, models do eat. Yes, models do read. Yes, models are allowed to have an opinion and express it.

I got a bit carried away but I hate stupid, mostly chauvinistic stereotypes.

Coming back to the topic: We all see that Romee gained. We don't know what's behind it. Is it an illness? Is it a branding choice? Is it laziness? Facts are facts, though: she looks bad. Simple as that. I suggest takedowns no matter the reason.

Romee has actually finished her HAVO which is above average in the Netherlands. She once said in a Dutch interview “If I’ll ever fall on my face I’ve got nothing, with a diploma I still have options”.

Thanks for that, @Photosynthesis ; that's good to know. Diplomas aren't always indicative of smarts or what was actually learned (sometimes they are), but whatever the case with her, I like that attitude. A lot. Good for you, Romee :flower:

Come on you guys, it's the 21st century. Are we really, REALLY even discussing that? Associating modelling with being "a dumb blonde"

No, we are not and were never discussing that, as should have been clear from my posts above.

And @Tinyportia , I don't imply that pretensions of erudition are limited to 'models'/those without tertiary degrees. Indeed, I know many amongst the latter who as far as I'm concerned can STFU with bragging about what they're reading and all that shit.

To tie all of my points together:
I *don't* subscribe to the idea of "there are no stupid people, only people who do stupid things". IME smart and stupid people alike (along with everyone in between) are capable of doing both smart and stupid things (and everything in between)--just not in the same frequencies, per definition.

Romee has always seemed--from my not-religious perusal of her SM presence--somewhat nice but not particularly bright. Hence my feelings towards her health predicament. I don't feel bad for those who are nasty (for obvious reasons), or for those I am unequivocally convinced are smart/educated enough (conflating the two here) to know better.

Maybe I underestimate(d) her intelligence and/or education. I never implied that models are bimbos unless presumed otherwise.

Moving on.

(Real life also beckons at the moment, but I shall be back (much) later if, among others, Her Highness ;) demands it.)

And @Tinyportia , I don't imply that pretensions of erudition are limited to 'models'/those without tertiary degrees. Indeed, I know many amongst the latter who as far as I'm concerned can STFU with bragging about what they're reading and all that shit.

Ugh I missed the editing window; excuse my (first) double-post. I meant (I hope it was understood) *many amongst those with tertiary degrees [who brag about...]*.

@habenula No doubt one characterized by a hot- and pastel-pink uniform, and gormless worship of avocado toast--and most relevantly, one that *every single model in the history of the profession* has belonged to :hahano:

@TangerineTangoes She is certainly still doing HF, just that she by no means *has* to. For that matter, neither do Stella (probably) or Ming (most definitely, considering the guy she just landed).

For the record, I think she looks pretty decent here: the belt accentuates what's left of her waist, and the dress (length) + boots suggest that her legs are far less stumpy than they currently are. Hair/make-up somewhat conceal the tired puffiness that is her face, at least from a distance, and the shades (swipe to 3) are super cute and flattering.

Facts are facts, though: she looks bad.
That's an interpretation and not a fact, but I appreciate the dogmatic commitment to SGF standards.

USING YOUR LOOKS TO EARN MONEY DOES NOT MEAN YOU DO THIS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T USE YOUR BRAIN TO EARN IT.
Indeed, but it does mean your public identity will inevitably be predicated largely on your looks and not your brain. See how that works?

Who formerly went under 'Barbie'. Just saying. Calling VS a bimbo factory is funny, not a slight to forum ethics (and let's not pretend that the casting directors book models based on their ability to derive the mean of the binomial distribution even if they happen to be thus qualified).

chomping at the bit for some rookie hazing/aggressive keeping in line?
Me:

BrokenDelayedGelding-small.gif

ULUu.gif

1-Dazed-and-Confused-quotes.gif

PM0S.gif

@TangerineTangoes She is certainly still doing HF, just that she by no means *has* to. For that matter, neither do Stella (probably) or Ming (most definitely, considering the guy she just landed).

I truly hope for the sake of my sanity you do not think that a model attending a fashion show is the same as being a high fashion model. Romee cannot fit into haute couture sample sizes, she attended Dior she did not walk the show. In fact the only piece from Dior F/W 2019 that Romee’s fat ass could fit into was the final look. The literal box MGC’s delusional tasteless ass sent down the runway. View attachment 57475That’s it. The last season she walked in was S/S 19 which was in 2018, you know back when she could actually fit in the clothes.

I truly hope for the sake of my sanity you do not think that a model attending a fashion show is the same as being a high fashion model.

...Your sanity? My sanity? What does sanity have to do with anything?

I’d respect your opinion if you possibly watched some of her vlogs or actually did follow her on SM

You mean...your perception of the extent to which I follow Romee or pay attention to Dior, and the extent to which that presumably determines my worth as someone who opines stuff a human being?

Romee cannot fit into haute couture sample sizes, she attended Dior she did not walk the show. In fact the only piece from Dior F/W 2019 that Romee’s fat ass could fit into was the final look. The literal box MGC’s delusional tasteless ass sent down the runway. View attachment 57475That’s it. The last season she walked in was S/S 19 which was in 2018, you know back when she could actually fit in the clothes.

You're right that I mistakenly thought she walked there as well. I don't pay that much attention to her *or Dior*, as I for better or worse associate the house with its perfumes (amygdalas are weird things), which I abhor.

Since when did needing to fit into shit as is matter for those who are sufficiently famous? She did just walk a show at PFW. Indeed that would have been a good reason for just showing up at Dior as well. For S/S 19, she walked a few, even though it was already clear that she wouldn't 'make it' in time to be in her usual fighting form for the VS show. Granted, none of these last ones were the ultimate 'prestige' shows, but given that models.com does not rank its top walkers with shows weighted by prestige, I don't see why I should, either.

Gigi just walked Valentino. I'm glad they mostly covered her up, but those BTS ladies can be efficient demonesses (I've had clothes altered by one), and they could have made almost anything *fit* (in the literal sense, never mind aesthetics) her if they really wanted to. I was going to mention this in the Ewa discussion, but countless shows have made entire looks work for giants such as Karlie and Molly Bair--it just seems like a lot more work making things longer than taking them in/out.

Probably the only reason Romee did not rock the box at Dior in the way that Gigi rocked (lol) the fuschia drapes at Valentino is simply because the box works better (to the extent that it works at all) on someone who is dark-skinned (or some hint of olive, at least) and dark-haired.

@proseccoprincess I would gladly sell the ashy remnants of my soul for just half an ounce of your youthful vitality, ugh.

don’t think no amount of “ems sculpt” can fix what’s going on there at this point...:slinkout:

I looked up EMSculpt and... it's supposed to help you build muscle without working out (as well as lose fat)? The fact that she would choose that instead of, you know, actually work out is telling :p (And shows she's really unhappy about her weight gain.)

I looked up EMSculpt and... it's supposed to help you build muscle without working out? The fact that she would choose that instead of, you know, actually work out is telling :p
i have only seen that sort of “sculpting” promoted by fat instagram models. you know the ones that promote fashion nova? well, i guess romee is now part of this lazy elite...

Guys, have you ever wondered if any of the people discussed read it here? Imagine Romee seeing this wave of criticism washing her over! That would be such a massive motivation for her... or not.

Guys, have you ever wondered if any of the people discussed read it here? Imagine Romee seeing this wave of criticism washing her over! That would be such a massive motivation for her... or not.
Oh they definitely do. If you look back in Marjan's threads she's posted about the forums here plenty of times, and I know some other models who have posted subtle things in response to what gets posted. As for Romee, I'm not as sure. I'd imagine at that level, keeping up with people talking about you online would be A) nearly impossible with how much is being written, B) take up a lot of time when she's probably busy with her youtube channel and her instagram posts (which can take a lot of time honestly) on top of her public appearances, shoots and travelling. And C) I'd imagine reading constant critique online whether it's about her being to big, too small, or how she dresses or her personality, would be exhausting and take a massive toll on your mental health. Don't get me wrong, I think criticism is important, but I think at that point it'd be easier to just try and ignore it

Status
Not open for further replies.