Romee Strijd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether we’re sympathizing her weight gain or ripping her to shreds for it, I think we can all agree that with polaroids like that the only place she belongs in is Takedowns. It’s not like she’s silently trying to lose the weight (which I sincerely thought after she posted that vlog where she touched on going vegan but it’s been months since and she’s only gotten bigger) she’s very clearly fully embracing it.... Considering the positive response she’s gotten I don’t think that she would lose the weight even if she really wanted to.

All of the gain aside, why does she keep on getting fake tan? The filter just amplifies that oompa loompa tone :wtf: Encouraged by VS for a BeAcHy ViBe or at this point of fame everything goes?

Maybe im stupid, but i feel like its not a fake tan, it happens when someone eats too much yellow or red fruits and veggies, their skin start to become yellowish becouse of the big amount of beta carotene.
All her hands seems yellow, i have sooo many friends like this, you would never believe, their skin looks exactly like this colour and they dont use any fake tan or anything..

@Aemiko that's a good point, didn't think of that. May I ask, what are your/your friends' skin undertones? I mean, I eat way too much carrots but I still remain the same old pale white. Could it be because of my cool undertone, that I remain the same tone no matter what? I don't even really tan or burn! :lol:

Not to derail the thread too much though; I also think some VIP mentioned some time ago that ''under all that spray tan her skin is grey because of how malnourished she is (was) ''.

Maybe im stupid, but i feel like its not a fake tan, it happens when someone eats too much yellow or red fruits and veggies, their skin start to become yellowish becouse of the big amount of beta carotene.
All her hands seems yellow, i have sooo many friends like this, you would never believe, their skin looks exactly like this colour and they dont use any fake tan or anything..
It’s probably fake tan though, she even showed herself using it in her latest vlog/skincare routine video.

@Aemiko that's a good point, didn't think of that. May I ask, what are your/your friends' skin undertones? I mean, I eat way too much carrots but I still remain the same old pale white. Could it be because of my cool undertone, that I remain the same tone no matter what? I don't even really tan or burn! :lol:

Not to derail the thread too much though; I also think some VIP mentioned some time ago that ''under all that spray tan her skin is grey because of how malnourished she is (was) ''.
As your local ‘omg is she jaundice’ girl, I’ll give my $0.02 and say that this isn’t carotenaemia. Carotenaemia typically happens in those with low body weights and low caloric intakes; if you google it you’ll see numerous studies claiming how common this is with anorexics, but I’m sure it’s typical with just generally skinny people like us. It’s less about eating loads of beta-carotene rich foods, and more about basing most of your meals on them— for example I’d argue that the majority of my meals are made up of sweet potato, cantaloupe, butternut squash soup, etc. Similarly, the yellow-ness tends to be more common in extremities such as hands and feet or, as I’ve noticed, under your arms and behind your knees. For Romee, it’s less of a subtle yellow glow and more of an overall flash of orange. Maybe in the past it would’ve been plausible, but nowadays she’s probably just drowning in false tan to pretend she doesn’t look like death.

The only reason why I was speculating that she’s probably not happy with her weight gain is because in her recent video she was talking about puffiness and how she avoids certain things to not be puffy, deleted pic, maybe me hoping that she’ll go back to the way she was or whatever.

@Skinnybubbly
I actually agree with you that Romee seems highly uncomfortable with her new, healthier, size-six- self, and that all this body positive proselytising is intended for her own thinking just as much, if not more so, than the average girl's. How many times must one meditate over the mantra 'chafed thighs are loving thighs' for it to come true? I don't care to find out, but the same pattern of behaviour can be observed in most skinnies-turned-(half-)chubs: the greater the dislike with her voluptuous behind, the greater the need to impress upon everyone else how superlatively healthy and happy she is. And I don't even think this is just my own bias shining through. The very fact that Romee went to purportedly 'extreme measures'* to maintain a low(er) body weight would indicate that she, like us, subscribes to the belief that skinny indeed is better.

*Though presumably never made acquaintance with the concept of micronutrients?

the greater the dislike with her voluptuous behind, the greater the need to impress upon everyone else how superlatively healthy and happy she is.
It’s not just the skinnies that gained weight—most body-positive people would be skinny in a heartbeat if they could.

I'm not sure how many accolades I'm willing to hand Romee for self-inflicted health issues. It is perfectly possible to sustain her lowest BMI without developing lanugo. Either she is completely oblivious to nutrition, or she has some other condition / is not ~*NaTUralLy SkinNy*~, in which case, maybe don't become a model.

Haha ok, so you're insisting she really could have worked smarter. Technically, I 99% agree. (I am sympathetic to the possibility that her body just wasn't suited for that level of leanness over such a prolonged period of time, and that by the time that was recognized, it was 'too hard'/'too late' to switch paths constructively.)

Sure, she could probably have avoided most/all of those problems simply by training with lower volume and higher intensity, and substituting some of the avocado/fats with quality protein.

But I dunno...she left school early(?) to eventually become a professional bimbo, and VS rotates through its gospels of fitness (it was Ballet Beautiful some time back, and now it's Dogpound?).... IDK that I would have made better decisions and attained better outcomes had I been in that job with middling intelligence and education, and with dodgy but slickly and aggressively marketed fitness and nutrition information in my face all the time.

All of the gain aside, why does she keep on getting fake tan? The filter just amplifies that oompa loompa tone :wtf: Encouraged by VS for a BeAcHy ViBe or at this point of fame everything goes?

Hers is more extreme, with some reasons indicated in VIP post, but Josephine and Elsa are also a lot more bronze than most Nordic girls (even those transplanted to LA, I assume). It's got to be a VS thing. Just like the veneers for that bland-AF American beach babe smile. (Always thought the veneers were as obvious as the fake boobs, but unsure about the perspicacity of outing her dentist as the info source...unless that was somehow ok'd....)

It’s not like she’s silently trying to lose the weight [...] she’s very clearly fully embracing it.... Considering the positive response she’s gotten I don’t think that she would lose the weight even if she really wanted to.

I think that is just this cousin* of sunk cost fallacy: "I had one cookie more than planned, so the only course of action now is to finish the whole box." Maladaptive and not to be condoned, but certainly understandable.

The fawning of newfound body-pos followers is all but certainly scant consolation (if at all) for the lost lithe body (and sense of being in control). I'm sure she feels every bit the bloated hot mess that she appears to be, and that the sorts of rationalizations @elle_w00ds has humorously described are precisely what's running through her head these days.

*I'm sure it exists in the taxonomy of irrational thought, but IDK the name for it.

But I dunno...she left school early(?) to eventually become a professional bimbo, and VS rotates through its gospels of fitness (it was Ballet Beautiful some time back, and now it's Dogpound?).... IDK that I would have made better decisions and attained better outcomes had I been in that job with middling intelligence and education, and with dodgy but slickly and aggressively marketed fitness and nutrition information in my face all the time.
Modeling is her job, though. Maintaining a set of measurements is supposed to be her duty.

But I dunno...she left school early(?) to eventually become a professional bimbo

Whether you like it or not, those “professional bimbos” make up part of the vertebrae of this community. Yes, at times, even VS models. Shaming women for dropping out of school to follow a career that may ultimately give them a more fulfilling and financially successful life is futile. Welcome to SGF. If you think using sexuality/ being a ‘bimbo’ to get ahead makes a woman inferior to you or any other ‘professional’, maybe this site isn’t for you. This isn’t me being PC (ew), it’s me being realistic. Romee might be a chubby, fish faced, whore mouth but I’ll be damned if I’m not jealous of her annual salary :smash:

Hers is more extreme, with some reasons indicated in VIP post, but Josephine and Elsa are also a lot more bronze than most Nordic girls (even those transplanted to LA, I assume). It's got to be a VS thing. Just like the veneers for that bland-AF American beach babe smile. (Always thought the veneers were as obvious as the fake boobs, but unsure about the perspicacity of outing her dentist as the info source...unless that was somehow ok'd....)

I think that is just this cousin* of sunk cost fallacy: "I had one cookie more than planned, so the only course of action now is to finish the whole box." Maladaptive and not to be condoned, but certainly understandable.

She maintained an incredible body for years and then gained within a course of several months. Romee’s gain wasn’t this completely out of the blue action it can actually be tracked through the course of this thread if you rewind 10 pages back and scroll. When she initially started gaining she wasn’t hiding behind claims of better health. It wasn’t until people started recognizing her weight gain that she began spewing the nonsense. I’m sure her gain was not just a loss of control but also has several other contributing factors. In this body positive age I wouldn’t be surprised if her gain was marketing strategy. Keep in mind her and Stella were some of the only remaining skinnies, Stella does still does HF work but Romee doesn’t (Or at least hardly so) it makes sense that her Managment/VS would support a weight gain considering her work is solely lingerie. While I do agree she looks physically uncomfortable in her body but considering her level of self discipline I doubt the decision to gain was not something quickly supported and encouraged. Though in its early inception I’m sure the gain wasn’t intentional I think that when she’s bloated to this size I’m sure she’s been supported to continue this way. She was a skinny with discipline I’m sure if her Managment didn’t like where she was going they would’ve gotten involved but I don’t think anyone’s going to tell a VS angel to not swap salads for burgers.

And may I add if you think leaving school to become a model is an act of a bimbo you’re quite a bit ignorant if I may say. What person in the world would turn down the opportunity for financial security and above just to finish a bachelors degree? School is something a person can always come back to but modeling is not. (Mind you she’s only 23) I may not be a fan of her but that comment is just cruel and unnecessary. And if by bimbo you mean her social media presence I’m not sure if you live under a rock and have trouble understanding that a lingerie model on Instagram is going to market herself on Instagram in a way that is going to generate the most traction to her page and that is exactly what she is doing.

Im not sure how they originally look like but even me myself, im a good example for this:D
I have a pinkish skintone originally ( im a typical winter type ), but since over a year my skintone turned gold/yellowish, so all those white/pink skintone that i had ( and hated ) gone... maybe it isnt works for everyone :( im really not sure...

Card carrying bimbo here. I didn't find your comment inappropriate @irid3scence, but there are two considerations which disinclines any sympathy I might otherwise have had for Romee's predicament:

(A) Dieting in a sustainable manner really isn't that hard. There are many girls on here who still are in high school who have a solid understanding of how and what to eat to maintain a certain weight without growing fur, and they don'† even get paid for it.

(B) The narrative already goes skinny = unhealthy in mainstream media, and Romee, by erroneously attributing her feeble health to weight and not her own nutritional illiteracy, is consolidating that view. There certainly are legitimate concerns being raised about the ultra skinny ideal, but hers is not: hers is a crutch for what appears like a faltering ego, rehearsed ad infinitum to fool herself into believing that her current weight is the only one at which she is well. Unless she has some underlying condition that is transparently untrue, but people are only so keen to accept the excuse to gorge on fats and carbs and sodium, all in the name of 'health'.

Why are you on this site again?

Lol wow, um, chill, all? (Or are y'all really chomping at the bit for some rookie hazing/aggressive keeping in line?)

Operative word *eventually*. I don't love to split my infinitives, and I did so there to indicate her (eventual) VS work (as opposed to HF, as she and most others started out), as that was just an easy (flip) way of describing her current persona--which, real or not, she is also paid to convey.

No, I don't think Vlada et al. are bimbos. Obviously I wouldn't be here if so. And FWIW, she has a rather different vibe, and I don't think Stella comes across as a bimbo either (even if VS would prefer her to).

Lol wow, um, chill, all? (Or are y'all really chomping at the bit for some rookie hazing/aggressive keeping in line?)
Yes, everyone who disagrees with you is just oVerReAcTinG and wants to haze rookies, that’s a really good way to view this discussion. If an established member said what you said I’d also call them out, it’s just that you have fewer posts and have had little time here, and one of your first model-related contributions is calling Romee a “professional bimbo.” Doing so kind of calls into question your motives for being here, but I’ll accept that it was just poor wording on your part and perhaps an attempt to sound funny/edgy.
as that was just an easy (flip) way of describing her current persona--which, real or not, she is also paid to convey.
You’re going to have to provide evidence for her public persona being “bimbo”, because if I were looking for an easy way to describe her persona I would have chosen “commercial”, or “girl next door”, both of which are pretty neutral terms. She’s a professional model who is under contract to appeal to the mass market, and presents herself accordingly on social media. The people like bright colors, smiley photos and avocado toast. It’s basic marketing. As far as I know, she hasn’t ever said anything outright dumb on her social media, and being dumb is a key component of being a bimbo (at least according to the definition I’m operating under.)

As far as I know, she hasn’t ever said anything outright dumb on her social media, and being dumb is a key component of being a bimbo (at least according to the definition I’m operating under.)

I don't follow her SM closely enough to know whether or not she has ever said anything genuinely "dumb". Exceeding some threshold of vapidity, without offering any hints that there is anything beneath, suffices for me.

At one point I stumbled across some meme here about Romee reading and the seeming incongruity. Other models, whether they finished high school or not, often enough mention/allude to what they're reading. Not sure Romee ever has, though maybe you would know better.

Also, see my point about Stella. It's possible to do VS without coming across that way. I think Ming also comes across as very sweet and quite bright sometimes (even just in the way she thanks designers in her captions).

Status
Not open for further replies.