Ripped Knee Jeans?

Misstairs

Super Star
Aug 4, 2016
A lot of girls at my college wear skinny jeans with holes in the knees. Most of them look ridiculous, but some manage to pull it off. I want to try them but I feel like I wouldn't look good in them. Since I value SG members' opinions on everything, I'd love to know what you think about this trend in particular.

Some photos:

ripped-knee-jeans-street-style-3.jpg

Gabriella-Wilde-Wears-Rip-Jeans-Front-Row-Burberry-LFW.jpg

asos-washedblack-low-rise-ultra-skinny-ankle-grazer-jeans-in-washed-black-with-rip-knee-product-3-15938619-432840259.jpeg

If you're skinny, you can pull pretty much anything off. Otherwise, I think buying specially ripped jeans looks a bit 'forced', especially if the rips are arranged symmetrically.
This:
02J21FWBK_5_large.jpg

just reminds me of this:
elmo.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I used to skateboard so most of my jeans have a hole in the right knee (plus blood stains, but besides the point). I say acceptable, but I also am going to say that until I want to buy more jeans.

Reactions: 1 users
@Kit reminds me of the comments I get from people asking why I can't afford jeans which are not ripped.

I think ripped jeans can looks really classy when paired with an otherwise minimalistic look. The rips kind of act like an accessory to spice up a white tee. As mentioned, I think they ONLY look good on skinny legs because fat spilling out of rips is a sight no one deserves to be exposed to (too many 'curvy' girls are pairing skinny high waist ripped jeans with bomber jackets and walking around like potato sacks). :slinkout:

This:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

As opposed to this :rolleyes::
image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I'd never wear jeans with a rip in the knee, even if I got super-super skinny, purely because I have atrocious knees! I agree it depends on your legs in general, anything looks good on skinny and I've seen ripped jeans look great on some girls, disgusting on others. But never good on girls with bad knees (mine, even at a very low weight, are always flabby and mushy looking)

I think ripped knee jeans only look good on boyfriend-cut loose jeans, when they're tight they actually look ridiculous - at whatever weight
for example: (sorry for the atrocious photo, it was the best one I could find haha)
53d54b47a3d08_-_topshop-boyfriend-jeans-ripped-distressed.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
@Kit reminds me of the comments I get from people asking why I can't afford jeans which are not ripped.

I think ripped jeans can looks really classy when paired with an otherwise minimalistic look. The rips kind of act like an accessory to spice up a white tee. As mentioned, I think they ONLY look good on skinny legs because fat spilling out of rips is a sight no one deserves to be exposed to (too many 'curvy' girls are pairing skinny high waist ripped jeans with bomber jackets and walking around like potato sacks). :slinkout:

This:
View attachment 13160 View attachment 13161

Who are these two? They're gorgeous

I like ripped denim, but not the 'perfectly' ripped at the knee trend that has been going on for the past year or so. I also prefer if the jeans are slightly loose at the knee, don't like seeing fat spill out. The rips don't have to be symmetrical on both legs. A lot of the times though, I think it depends on whether you're the kind of person that can pull them off.
I prefer these styles:

knee-ripped-jeans-style-1.jpg

oversized-sweater-distressed-denim-chelsea-boots-fur-ia-inunomimi.tumblr.com_.jpg

beh21.jpg

la-modella-mafia-models-off-duty-street-style-2014-celine-slip-ons-and-boyfriend-jeans.jpg

ripped-jean-fashion-2-2015-4.jpg

It's a rip in a jean...if you look good in unripped jeans, then you will look good in ripped jeans. The trick is making sure you are styling them correctly and not wearing them at inappropriate occasions.

I don't have a particular view on this trend, except to say I think it's on the way out. Don't waste your money on a pair of ripped jeans.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a rip in a jean...if you look good in unripped jeans, then you will look good in ripped jeans. The trick is making sure you are styling them correctly and not wearing them at inappropriate occasions.

I don't have a particular view on this trend, except to say I think it's on the way out. Don't waste your money on a pair of ripped jeans.

Yeah I would never spend money on pre-ripped jeans, I think it goes against the whole idea behind the original concept. But I do have a pair of old skinny jeans so I'd probably DIY on them. Thanks for everyone's opinions!

@Misstairs I love the outfits of Olivia Palermo and Gabriella Wilde you posted!

My favourite is Zendaya. She rocks the ripped knee look!

zendaya-nyfw-candids-yellow-coat-01.jpg
9aaea79ceff445e8871f1cc9352f6112.jpg

distressed jeans and a structured blazer is one of my favorite looks, a la a combination of these.

ripped-knee jeans, however, don't really get me going. they can be styled okay sometimes, but it's the distressed look that works for me, not just having some horizontal slits.

I think rip jeans only look good if you're thin and tall. Something about the horizontal cuts makes me feel shorter.
If I were to style them, I would follow Zhenya Katava. She wears rip jeans pretty often in her street style.

Reactions: 3 users
I think rip jeans only look good if you're thin and tall. Something about the horizontal cuts makes me feel shorter.
If I were to style them, I would follow Zhenya Katava. She wears rip jeans pretty often in her street style.

Omg she looks amazing. The day I get her legs is the day I wear skinny ripped jeans haha. Thanks for the pictures, amazing street style inspo!