Replicas

audrey

Rookie
May 18, 2012
Germany
Hey girlies :)

As a student with less money I wanted to know what you think of well-made replicas..?

Feel free to post pics about your favourites.

I just bought this classic one by Friis but in plain BLACK): And it is just great because it works with every outfit in my wardrobe. Also it has a looong chain strap <3

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004BR3ONI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I think there are also some more advantages, like obviously the price and in most cases the non-leather shoes and bags are more animal-friendly, which is very 'in' at the moment I guess...

What do you think ?

Well... leather bags are just much superior in quality and craftsmanship. They last longer and look better than faux leathers.

I understand that sometimes is nice to show off that you own something "luxurious", but most girls that know about designers and brands will be able to tell if it's real or not. I cringe every time I see a girl with a fake Coach or LV bag. It just looks very tacky. If you don't have money, there's no point in trying to show off that you have it. But if you have a replica that is as good as an original, then why not? I feel good when I own and wear quality, who made it has little importance to me. :run:

Although I can't help and think of Samantha from Sex and the City when somebody stole her fake bag and Paris Hilton had the same bag but the real one. She thought that Paris took her bag and told security that she knew it was hers because it was fake. Paris then opened up her bag and showed that her bag was real. Needless to say Samantha was quite embarrassed. So if you're going to be surrounded by people who know about designers, better not risk embarrassment! :lol:

If you (and I :( ;)) can't afford a designer, I think it's much better to look for something in a similar style from a less-expensive store than to go for a knockoff.

Like those cute little structured leather schoolboy satchels that were everywhere a few seasons ago (http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/313005), instead of getting one with "Proanze" stamped on it, H&M makes similar ones (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eAj5z8ShyqE/T5mSG96Tk8I/AAAAAAAACsk/SxqB-basuo0/s1600/IMG_0766.JPG, I actually like the H&M colours better). And being a veg I agree about the leather issue.

Will it look like it cost $1400? No. But if you don't act like you care, nobody else will! Unless they're dicks. In which case, boo to them, label-toting's never chic.

I always go for quality over quantity. Quality means the quality that lives within the realms of your budget. ;)

If you're really after a designer piece, either wait until it's within your range or save periodically. It will mean a lot more and last a lot longer. It will make it worth it.

There are some really amazing non-label or middle-range-label pieces that look amazing.

Don't buy something for the little plaque or embossed leather. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I always go for quality over quantity. Quality means the quality that lives within the realms of your budget. ;)

If you're really after a designer piece, either wait until it's within your range or save periodically. It will mean a lot more and last a lot longer. It will make it worth it.

There are some really amazing non-label or middle-range-label pieces that look amazing.

Don't buy something for the little plaque or embossed leather. ;)

This. :) I still like my expensive things but I also love finding a bargain and will generally look very carefully at the product to see if it's good quality. A question I sometimes ask when I go into a store if I see something cheap would I buy it if the price tag had 0000 added on. It's not worth buying something just for the sake of having a name. Ive done that it, was stupid and now my stuff is collecting dust.

Please, don't buy fakes! I also dream of designer handbag (Birkin...) but I would never buy myself a fake, I would feel I betrayed fashion industry.
It always makes me laugh when I see a girl with a replica, let's say LV Speedy, and she's wearing really old looking, cheap clothes. So she could afford the bag but she couldn't buy a sweater which doesn't look like her dog's toy? :|
I recommend you checking net-a-porter.com - sometimes they have sales, really good ones!

Knock-offs make me shudder.
@Agytha's right: buy the highest quality piece you can afford. Knock-offs are very rarely high quality. If you want a designer piece, save up or buy vintage. There is such a charm to vintage pieces, I think.

Meanwhile for deals on designer stuff, you can shop places like Winners on the Runway in Canada, or Modnique and Bluefly online.

Last edited by a moderator:
It always makes me laugh when I see a girl with a replica, let's say LV Speedy, and she's wearing really old looking, cheap clothes. So she could afford the bag but she couldn't buy a sweater which doesn't look like her dog's toy? :|

This. And it's always around summer when the amount of replicas increase, because they bought them on their summer vacation in Turkey, Bulgaria, Spain.... for like 10 Euros ;-)
I used to do that as well when I was a teen (not with LV but Nike, Adidas etc) but I noticed pretty fast that the quality is so bad and that it's better to invest in the original.

I dream of a pair of nude Christian Louboutins. I'm thinking to get them when I reach my GW :luv:

This. And it's always around summer when the amount of replicas increase, because they bought them on their summer vacation in Turkey, Bulgaria, Spain.... for like 10 Euros ;-)
I used to do that as well when I was a teen (not with LV but Nike, Adidas etc) but I noticed pretty fast that the quality is so bad and that it's better to invest in the original.

I dream of a pair of nude Christian Louboutins. I'm thinking to get them when I reach my GW :luv:

I dream of black Pigalle pair... oh, god, how i would love to have them! My secret dream is brown Birkin- but i think i would never be able to buy her...

want. have. now.
Christian%20Louboutin%20Platforms%20Polando%20120mm%20Nude.jpg

Fakes look so bad. And people who you actually would've complimented you about the bag/liked the bag won't be impressed. They will know! (people who wouldn't know if it's a fake don't care about bags)

I'm more of a one (good quality) bag girl than lots of cheap bags person because I like working with classic looks (of course I don't actually have just one bag). I think investing in a good quality bag (doesn't have to be a recognizable premier designer bag though) is worth it :)

If you (and I :( ;)) can't afford a designer, I think it's much better to look for something in a similar style from a less-expensive store than to go for a knockoff.

Like those cute little structured leather schoolboy satchels that were everywhere a few seasons ago (http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/313005), instead of getting one with "Proanze" stamped on it, H&M makes similar ones (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eAj5z8ShyqE/T5mSG96Tk8I/AAAAAAAACsk/SxqB-basuo0/s1600/IMG_0766.JPG, I actually like the H&M colours better). And being a veg I agree about the leather issue.

Will it look like it cost $1400? No. But if you don't act like you care, nobody else will! Unless they're dicks. In which case, boo to them, label-toting's never chic.

The bag H&M did was actually a total knock-off from the flourescent line of Cambridge Satchel. :p I saw it in store and it looked a bit too fake in my opinion. Very plastic. Whereas the Cambridge satchels looked adorable.

But, anyway, back on point; I will NEVER buy a knock-off of something. However, I see no harm in buying something that is inspired by a certain designer item: it's actually really hard to buy something that is NOT inspired by designers. Zara, for example, is full of Balmain ''references'' and such. And not only Balmain...
As for bags: I'd rather go for quality than quantity. It's a bag, hello. It will hold everything that is important in your life. It is the carrier of your soul. Go for the proenza.

A friend of mine recently bought a very tacky D&G wristwatch replica. I was trying to explain to her that it screams "Flee Market" and it will not make her look expensive. The talk went...
- But it's easy for you to say! You wear Breitling!
- Yes, but you know me long enough... There were times when I couldn't afford even Breitling's buckle!
- But you always wore nice, expensive looking watches!
- Yes, they were nice - but by no means expensive. I choose them to be elegant and appropriate. I couldn't afford to have several, so I picked the ones I could wear with anything.

That could be translated to any accessory. I'm seeing many replicas that have the basic shape of the original, but the center element is over-sized branding. My best bag is the one I designed and had an old bag and shoe maker assemble for me. It is strong, sturdy, and the most important thing - it has designated pockets for every little thing that gets lost in the depths of our bags. Cellphone pocket is on the back side, so I can feel vibration. There are several partitions for my agenda, makeup, even medium-sized binder. And another one with velvet coating for my former flybook (now I use it for my tablet computer). No other bag could satisfy my needs better.

However, if your needs are more brand-oriented than practicality oriented, please - just don't let yourself looking ridiculous by wearing "Chanel" bag with the logo taking 2/3 of the face!

A fake purse looks 100% cheaper then getting a purse in a similar style.

Fake Louis :superpuke:

Fake Louis :superpuke:

THE WORST. Cheap + Unoriginal (nothing wrong with real Louis, just... so... many... fakes).

I'm a firm believer that accessories make the outfit. I buy $9 tee shirts (a black cotton shirt is a black cotton shirt until it fades), $500+ handbags, and spend a few days eating healthy, light, & cheap.

I think there are also some more advantages, like obviously the price and in most cases the non-leather shoes and bags are more animal-friendly

Faux leather is NOT eco friendly, which in time, will not be 'more' animal-friendly.

the actual material is cost-prohibitive, unsuitable, or unusable for ethical reasons.
-Wikipedia.

This is because (the majority of) it is made from a non-renewable resource called polyurethane (fossil fuels). Faux Leather clothing items and accessories do not have a long life, so they do end up in landfills, which is a problem because they are not easily biodegradable.
Leather mainly comes from cows. Beef is the one of the most produced, animal by-product. I personally believe that it is a shame to waste the hide of an animal. I strongly believe that when you hunt an animal, you should not let any of it go to waste. Bones for tools. The hide for clothing. The meat for food. It is all very important.

Faux leather is NOT eco friendly, which in time, will not be 'more' animal-friendly.

-Wikipedia.

This is because (the majority of) it is made from a non-renewable resource called polyurethane (fossil fuels). Faux Leather clothing items and accessories do not have a long life, so they do end up in landfills, which is a problem because they are not easily biodegradable.
Leather mainly comes from cows. Beef is the one of the most produced, animal by-product. I personally believe that it is a shame to waste the hide of an animal. I strongly believe that when you hunt an animal, you should not let any of it go to waste. Bones for tools. The hide for clothing. The meat for food. It is all very important.

Yeah, sounds reasonable to me.. :))

For all my german lovelies:

This Online Shop sells a lot of luxury designer purses (also scars and sunglasses). That’s nothing special I know, but they offer installment payment 

So if you reeeeally want to have this Chloé Bag you can pay monthly for it.

Iactually consider purchasing there but I still have to pay off my car :sad:

For all my german lovelies:

This Online Shop sells a lot of luxury designer purses (also scars and sunglasses). That’s nothing special I know, but they offer installment payment 

So if you reeeeally want to have this Chloé Bag you can pay monthly for it.

Iactually consider purchasing there but I still have to pay off my car :sad:

Wow, thanks :)