Reddit Fatlogic

So /r/fatpeoplehate was banned a while ago. Now where will I find my sickening pictures of fat people?

1570 cals is semi starvation - http://thefuckitdiet.com/2015/12/22/your-brain-on-restriction/

oSVko11.jpg

fSsymtL.jpg
f0Wl13G.png
jTgEoM7.png
hwsH2i7.png

I suppose we won't mention that guys have higher caloric needs and those particular guys were "required to work 15 hours per week in the lab, walk 22 miles per week and participate in a variety of educational activities for 25 hours a week. " [Link]. Unless you're clocking in at 22 miles/week, STFU.

Ugh, talk of thin privilege is always so annoying. Unless you have actual DX medical issues, just start losing the weight or stop complaining

It's a free country. You're free to overeat, we're free to point it out. Wow, when HAES first came out, I was somewhat supportive (I'm gullible and thought it was about encouraging exercise at any size) but this! How about, if I can''t make a throwaway comment about having a lighter lunch (well none) to afford an indulgent dinner without upsetting you, let's not be friends? I know I won't miss ya.

I hate when guys say that in the year after their wife's had a kid but their kids are grown. This is completely within her control. Plus, it's not just her appearance. It's also her lack of caring. At least, you can admire someone who's been through disfigurement, presumable you're both getting wrinkly together but this? Why isn't it up to her to also try to meet her husband halfway?

Plus, it's not just her appearance. It's also her lack of caring.

This so much. As if the only side effect of eating too much would be a change in physical appearance. I know that not everyone on this site might agree but what I find so repulsive about being overweight is not mainly the body itself (though, of course, it is a factor), but the change in attitude that often goes along with it. In my experience, people who gain a lot of weight often* become more entitled and less responsive to logics (to mentally justify their gluttonous behaviour), and sometimes get bitchier because of the insecurity and imbalance that stems from their weight gain. Plus, I personally think it's sad that you totally ignore, belittle and even condemn your partner's openly expressed needs.

Love is nothing that's cast in stone. If a partner changes significantly for the worse, it's only human to get repelled by this sort of behaviour and stop loving him or her. Yes, especially if you're married and have kids, you constantly need to work on your relationship in order for it to work out and not run away from your responsibility as soon as the first problems arise. But in this case it's pretty clear that one person (the fat wife) completely refuses to acknowledge her man's needs and consequently there will never be a solution both parties are happy with.

*This is very generalizing, I know that this doesn't apply to all fat people.

It probably doesn't need to be said here how horribly misused the term 'triggering' is by the fat acceptance crowd but these posts are beyond ridiculous and it's an insult to people who suffer genuine trauma IMO.

With regards the last one; my husband and I had a conversation about this when I was pregnant. He said he didn't expect me to remain the same size I was aged 22 for my entire life and if I was a few lbs heavier when I was older he wouldn't care at all, but if I gained several stone he'd have a hard time feeling attracted to me not just because I'd be so physically different (he specifically said if it was due to illness or something then he'd be supportive) but because a massive weight gain would likely mean I'd become a different person entirely. The point was that he was attracted to me because I'm active and like eating good quality food rather than junk and it's that mindset he likes, rather than just how I look.

I thought that was an interesting view because so often when people complain about their partner gaining weight, it does seem to be the laziness associated with it which upsets them as much as the physical changes..

Reactions: 3 users
I know that during the MSE the men were doing a lot of exercise and used to eating a lot more but I highly doubt that eating 1500+ calories a day alone caused them to have mental issues. I'm not a psychiatrist but surely their reported obsessions with food and trying to eat more than they were allowed to was partly to do with their environment in a starvation study where there probably wasn't much else to focus on. As for the more extreme things there are people who eat half what they eat for years and don't have these kinds of symptoms so I refuse to believe that very mild restriction is the (sole) cause

I know that during the MSE the men were doing a lot of exercise and used to eating a lot more but I highly doubt that eating 1500+ calories a day alone caused them to have mental issues. I'm not a psychiatrist but surely their reported obsessions with food and trying to eat more than they were allowed to was partly to do with their environment in a starvation study where there probably wasn't much else to focus on. As for the more extreme things there are people who eat half what they eat for years and don't have these kinds of symptoms so I refuse to believe that very mild restriction is the (sole) cause

My boyfriend did an extremely difficult military course definitely not even eating 1500 cals per day for almost 3 months, he probably hit that once a week and they had 100lbs ruck sacks and were moving constantly and being challenged mentally as well. He just never had time to eat more than a Clif bar or half a cold ration. If a person is tough they can get through that and if they aren't they can't.

Reactions: 1 user

Apparently they needed 3,200 cal/day to maintain weight so that's like 50% reduction. They also lost weight like crazy so supporting the 50% reduction calculations. I know currently the army keeps track of your weight so I doubt anyone in training is starving like that. It's too bad such a study can't be replicated due to ethics. I mean there's people with EDs but if taht's not a bad sample size.

I feel like that second person is trolling. If not then....:meh: as a black women, identity politics is starting to really bother me. I cannot get rid of my skin and features. Your made up labels are not the same thing and don't deserve the same level of anti-discrimination efforts/funds. AND I have suffered from major depression since childhood. I don't expect special treatment for it.

Reactions: 1 users
All of this hurts my soul. Regardless of these people being fat they're just dumb af

I've been on that subreddit more frequently the last few weeks, had no idea we had a thread on it. I honestly can't spent more than 5 minutes on it though because the unbelievable amount of stupidity, inability to take responsibility for one's self, and whining found in the fatlogic is infuriating -- dare I say triggering! (Just kidding, I'm able to just leave a website like a rational adult when it annoys me rather than cry about it on tumblr and demand a a stupid little trigger warning and attention from anyone that will give it to me :eyeroll:)

I honestly feel a little weird about how much those posts bother me. I really shouldn't care, let them stay fat and ignorant, but maybe it's that they make me a little sad? How can people care so little about themselves? How can they be so willfully moronic??

Reactions: 1 users
I've been on that subreddit more frequently the last few weeks, had no idea we had a thread on it. I honestly can't spent more than 5 minutes on it though because the unbelievable amount of stupidity, inability to take responsibility for one's self, and whining found in the fatlogic is infuriating -- dare I say triggering! (Just kidding, I'm able to just leave a website like a rational adult when it annoys me rather than cry about it on tumblr and demand a a stupid little trigger warning and attention from anyone that will give it to me :eyeroll:)

I honestly feel a little weird about how much those posts bother me. I really shouldn't care, let them stay fat and ignorant, but maybe it's that they make me a little sad? How can people care so little about themselves? How can they be so willfully moronic??
I feel the same way. I used to just shrug it off and think "if someone wants to eat themselves to death, then let them" but that kind of thing makes me more upset now. I guess because of the way they try to indoctrinate other people into thinking that it's okay to be fat using all sorts of bullshit excuses and expect others to cater to them. And I know people IRL who think that way too - like my mom. It's hard to sit back and not say anything when she makes excuses for living an unhealthy lifestyle and then not understanding why she gains weight, and then tries to justify it by saying that "oh well, real men love curves!" Sigh. I wouldn't mock or judge her, but it is frustrating.

I feel the same way. I used to just shrug it off and think "if someone wants to eat themselves to death, then let them" but that kind of thing makes me more upset now. I guess because of the way they try to indoctrinate other people into thinking that it's okay to be fat using all sorts of bullshit excuses and expect others to cater to them. And I know people IRL who think that way too - like my mom. It's hard to sit back and not say anything when she makes excuses for living an unhealthy lifestyle and then not understanding why she gains weight, and then tries to justify it by saying that "oh well, real men love curves!" Sigh. I wouldn't mock or judge her, but it is frustrating.
That's the hardest part, seeing people you love and care about fall into those traps. To me, that's when it stops becoming silly ramblings of fat people and instead becomes somewhat upsetting thought processes of usually rational people, which is harder to call out/ridicule/motivate to change through tough love. You totally pointed out what bothered me most about it all that I couldn't quite put my finger on, thanks.