'Pretty Thin'-Pro Ana?

I remember the site very well. It was the first pro-ana site I had seen in my life. Really. I was completely unaware of the diet society before.

I remembered reading tips like "don't use oily creams - they got fat in them and you need to make sure your moisturiser is fat free", odd Einstein's quotes turned in a way that they sound pretty much "bones are the only beauty" and a chat place where girls discussed how they've been good or bad. I remember one comment in almost exact words "I'm proud of myself. Today I had only an apple and a small slice of cake (but it had fruit in it! :D)". Ideas that goal is to get forced into a rehab.

I was looking for a site like this (it was before its existence), but what I found instead was all that bullshit. I left a comment that went something like "get a life, there is so much more than being thin and weighting 42 kilos won't make you more worthy as a human, you must read literature, see art, travel, find hobbies!". Incredibly naive sounding (just like the part in "O, Lucky Man!" where McDowell tries to convince Mrs Richards to not commit suicide. Anyone seen it? :grin:) and I got back a hate message and a road sign that I should leave.

Yeah... It was a bit different back then. It was all in baby pink and had a banner with a picture of a girl with long hair. Anyone remember it?

I see that now its disguised as a support group for those who recover. And they still need a thinspo section? How odd. :lol:

I have also been on that site. But if skinny gossip motivates me to do it the healthiest way, which maybe needs more mind power and self control, then when I was feeling down and wasted, I used to spend hours surfing the forums and trying to find tips (because it 's not really allow to give tips or make chalanges, but i had some buddies although)
But now thinking about that, don't make me feel good. At this time of my life, I want to enjoy all the things and work towards more positive attitude, also to my body and dieting

well, plenty of people here too start new diets, and starve as well. I have an account there, and I've noticed a fair amount of people here do too (not just the ones who posted on this thread). well there is alot to say here, but I don't want to get into controversial deep water so...

Yeah it's pretty similar.

I wish everyone would just stop judging each other. Who is a member to tell another member that they are eating too little or fasting too much or that they have an eating disorder? The original SG site talked a lot about fasting and "starving". I think the line is already beyond blurred. Obviously people who aren't members think we are pro-ana and I don't think we should have to constantly prove them wrong. Everyone has a different idea of what healthy/acceptable is. I don't want to have to walk on eggshells about what I am experimenting with because someone might disagree with it. I thought thats what made the forums different.

Regardless, no matter what PrettyThin is about (I have never been on their site) I hope the girls who were threatening suicide get help because that is very serious and scary.

I have been a member previously on this site, and honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. I feel like their intentions were good, but the inevitable kinda happened so there's some dangerous twists in there, too.

I think this sums it up pretty well. Yep I'm a member, but I don't really go on there anymore. The place seems to be a majority of people all fighting to show which one of them is more fucked up than the others.
I don't think it's really a healthy environment for anyone with an eating disorder, but it's definitely not the worst of the pro-ana stuff i've seen.

Reactions: 1 user
The place seems to be a majority of people all fighting to show which one of them is more fucked up than the others.
I don't think it's really a healthy environment for anyone with an eating disorder, but it's definitely not the worst of the pro-ana stuff i've seen.

I think this is probably the best analogy.

The fact that a guy runs it just adds another layer of wtf though. Although I think he took it over for a friend who became ill?:hmm:

I think this is probably the best analogy.

The fact that a guy runs it just adds another layer of wtf though. Although I think he took it over for a friend who became ill?:hmm:

Well guys can have eating disorders, even if the overwhelming majority are female. I'm pretty sure he took over for a friend like you said...

The episode about pretty thin came on today. I actually thought you started this topic because of the Dr.Oz show..but yeah, I used to be a member of prettythin, but that was way in 2009 before it became well known and filled with silly PRO-ANA girls. It was supposed to be a site for girls who were struggling with eating disorders(whether it was Anorexia, Bulimia, or EDNOS). We would have someone to talk to, we would be able to find other girls/boys who are dealing with the same issues. It was a place for girls to not feel alone, but then more and more girls started finding out about "PrettyThin" and then it became filled with silly preteens girls trying to look for a quick fix to lose weight. I don't visit that site anymore because it's definitely not what it used to be.

That's awful. I can't imagine trying to get help and then finding people that encourage your ED.

The place seems to be a majority of people all fighting to show which one of them is more fucked up than the others.

I was on Pretty Thin back in 2010 and there was a bit of this, but it was tolerable. I've checked back in recently and now this is the entire site. So I joined SG instead, since I've been reading the blog for years and loved it. It's super interesting how both sites are centered around being skinny, but the culture is so different. Here, we criticize the crap out of people with a bmi of 24. On Pretty Thin, someone would post a pic at that weight and all the comments would be "You look beautiful love! You don't need to lose any more xx" Like, seriously?

I dont like their site at all, its like they say one thing and do another....

I was on Pretty Thin back in 2010 and there was a bit of this, but it was tolerable. I've checked back in recently and now this is the entire site. So I joined SG instead, since I've been reading the blog for years and loved it. It's super interesting how both sites are centered around being skinny, but the culture is so different. Here, we criticize the crap out of people with a bmi of 24. On Pretty Thin, someone would post a pic at that weight and all the comments would be "You look beautiful love! You don't need to lose any more xx" Like, seriously?

and not only that, there are girls on that site with BMIs of 24 who think they are anorexic....wtf. sure weight is not the only criteria for AN, we've been over that many times, but come on, if you are overweight just do some research on healthy diet and lose some lbs, don't get all dramatic and pretend you have an eating disorder....

Reactions: 1 user
and not only that, there are girls on that site with BMIs of 24 who think they are anorexic....wtf. sure weight is not the only criteria for AN, we've been over that many times, but come on, if you are overweight just do some research on healthy diet and lose some lbs, don't get all dramatic and pretend you have an eating disorder....

:nod:

Love the nod smilie. Yes, you're so right, I hate it how some girls have to completely dramatise the whole process of losing weight. I find it absolutely pathetic how they diagnose themselves with anorexia and bulimia and try to martyrize themselves, and are too stupid to differentiate between weight loss and mental illness. I also think it's incredibly insulting to all the girls who actually have suffered from EDs to hear girls with BMIs of 25 claiming to have one. Makes me SO angry. :twisted: Phew. I really needed to get that off my chest.

Yea i use to be a member of that site. The mood there was just TOTALLY different. It was very morbid and sad, I'm not surprised at the outcome... The site I think started with good intentions but they shunned pro-ana which wasn't what I was searching for... but best of luck to those ladies/gents.

Well guys can have eating disorders, even if the overwhelming majority are female. I'm pretty sure he took over for a friend like you said...

But did the guy understand the issues he was dealing with? that's what I wasn't sure about...

what I hated about their site was they say "pro-ana" but i got yelled at for asking for tips and what not.... I wasn't trying to get an ED just asking for diet sake :wtf: was not the site for me...

But did the guy understand the issues he was dealing with? that's what I wasn't sure about...

yea that's the issue I had with the situation too. It wasn't the fact that he was a man, it was just that he seemed to have no connection with what the site was about. All a bit confusing really

Found the link.. the link i posted before was like part 2. Here is the beginning:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dying-be-thin-pt-1

Do you know where the link for part 5 is?

PART 5?! WHERE ARE YOU?! :mad:

Yeah that guy seems like an absolute prick though. I almost died of awkwardness watching him nod at that girl on the sofa for what felt like 5 whole minutes. He seemed kinda like he was smirking without even a hint of sadness in his eyes at all. CREEP.

Anyway, don't think I ever properly went on that site, maybe briefly once or twice out of sheer curiosity, but nothing else. The last thing I need is a morbid atmosphere so I won't bother checking it out again now either :whistling:

Agreed, some of the sites are disturbing- PrettyThin just seems to be a cry for attention by middle schoolers.