'Pretty Thin'-Pro Ana?

E

ElleBelle

Have any of you girls ever been on this site? I was a member many moons ago (albeit not a very active one) and I found it quite disturbing.

It vehemently claims to not be 'pro-ana' but rather a support group and an accepting place for ED sufferers. But the forums were full of girls who were clearly unhappy, lost and above all unhealthy. There would be starving competitions and threads about how to purge. I don't understand how they can claim that the site isn't pro ED?

The girls in the weightloss pictures section were largely emaciated looking and being praised for looking extremely sick. It seems now, there's a problem on the site with suicide threats/attempts. It's so dangerous.

What do you guys think? Have you ever been a member?

I would lurk around on the forum sometimes. I never got the impression that it was pro-ana. Though I wondered if it was doing more harm than good. Just the things that I read there.

Are you guys talking about this site, or some other? I've never got tha impression that this was a pro ana site, this is just pro skinny. I think the attitude on this site is positive towards healthy eating, and a healthy mind.

Are you guys talking about this site, or some other? I've never got tha impression that this was a pro ana site, this is just pro skinny. I think the attitude on this site is positive towards healthy eating, and a healthy mind.

No no, a site called Pretty Thin. Different altogether.

@Xsmall really? Is there a link anywhere to where I could watch that? That's such a coincidence

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've lurked about there- have you seen the post just put up today about all the suicide issues they're apparently dealing with?

No no, a site called Pretty Thin. Different altogether.

@Xsmall really? Is there a link anywhere to where I could watch that? That's such a coincidence

I'm not sure?! You could probably find something on his website or on YouTube....

Last edited by a moderator:
The episode about pretty thin came on today. I actually thought you started this topic because of the Dr.Oz show..but yeah, I used to be a member of prettythin, but that was way in 2009 before it became well known and filled with silly PRO-ANA girls. It was supposed to be a site for girls who were struggling with eating disorders(whether it was Anorexia, Bulimia, or EDNOS). We would have someone to talk to, we would be able to find other girls/boys who are dealing with the same issues. It was a place for girls to not feel alone, but then more and more girls started finding out about "PrettyThin" and then it became filled with silly preteens girls trying to look for a quick fix to lose weight. I don't visit that site anymore because it's definitely not what it used to be.

I have been a member previously on this site, and honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. I feel like their intentions were good, but the inevitable kinda happened so there's some dangerous twists in there, too.

I actually do have an account there but I've been visiting it less these days. I would say in a way it's not directly pro ana but indirectly pro ana. Sure it'll say it's not pro ana and won't glorify it. But we all know that on that site you can find many people starting new diets, starving, etc.

I actually do have an account there but I've been visiting it less these days. I would say in a way it's not directly pro ana but indirectly pro ana. Sure it'll say it's not pro ana and won't glorify it. But we all know that on that site you can find many people starting new diets, starving, etc.

well, plenty of people here too start new diets, and starve as well. I have an account there, and I've noticed a fair amount of people here do too (not just the ones who posted on this thread). well there is alot to say here, but I don't want to get into controversial deep water so...

well, plenty of people here too start new diets, and starve as well. I have an account there, and I've noticed a fair amount of people here do too (not just the ones who posted on this thread). well there is alot to say here, but I don't want to get into controversial deep water so...

God maybe I'm just being naive about certain aspects of SG then. I genuinely believe that girls on here are healthy and for the most part pretty happy.. I didn't mean to open a can of worms :nervous:

I really need to watch the Dr Oz thing. It won't play on my iPad.. I've always been curious about that James guy.

Yeah, I've lurked about there- have you seen the post just put up today about all the suicide issues they're apparently dealing with?

That's what made me start this thread. I don't know why I went on there, I haven't in about a year. And I saw all that stuff about suicide. It's just so dangerous.

I personally do think there are a few girls on here that DO have eating disorders but don't believe it themselves. But I don't see starving games, only girls who fast for health benefits or to kick start a diet. (It's much easier to start eating less & healthier when you fast OR cleanse for one day, from my experience). We are a pro-skinny community and the majority don't encourage pro-ana tendencies, many actually caution the other girls and convince them to be healthier.

It's funny, I tried to go on that website to check it out and my work computer blocks it for...wait for it...."violence" lol.