POOR GIRL (CHIC) DIET - BLOG

walnut

Rookie
Jan 6, 2018
Mars
This is a fun little read in the spirit of Skinnygossip's humor (and values) - quite reminiscent of 'The Chic Diet' by Kit Olsen - that I discovered a few weeks ago and would like to share. I was surprised that I couln't find it posted it here already, and I'm sorry if it has been!

https://poorgirldiet.wordpress.com/

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have :p

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the read, however was making a thread really necessary? Surely, you could have posted it in the What Are You Reading At The Moment? thread, although I don’t know if you have access to that, so this post could be better suited to a status update. This is not by any means a personal attack, just passing on a suggestion :)

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I found this kind of cringey... most of it is typical tumblr skinny rhetoric (black coffee, “chic”, cigarettes, bones), and it tries to romanticize being poor?? If you can afford expensive clothing and beauty products, even at the expense of food, you aren’t “poor,” you’re just making decisions on how to spend your money...? Sorry, but I’d rather read something more interesting and well written than a 15 year old tumblr girl’s skinny fantasy. I’ve heard this before, and I’m sick of it tbh :eyeroll:

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: 4 users
It’s not the worst thing in the world but it does remind me of when I was semi sleep deprived on the plane, read the chic diet cover to cover and subconsciously adopted the entire psycho skinny chic persona for like 12 hours. Fun, but I cringe looking back. Besides, there hasn’t been an update in two years. I agree with @Blair Waldorf and @proseccoprincess, it’s completely oversaturated with the “black coffee is so my life/I’m so poor/cigarettes are so chic/I’m gonna pass out from being so skinny” rhetoric. The same thing could’ve been written by an obese fourteen year old in Wisconsin to be honest.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
I have a formal on Saturday night, dinner at this über chic restaurant in the sugardaddy part of the city, and I need to look chic. I’m not going to trek down to Forever fucking 21 or something to buy a skin tight bodycon like my friends going, definitely not. Daddy bought me a Kate Spade dress six years ago, it’s my go-to little black dress, satin and gorgeous and made for the chest bone cleavage I am endlessly proud of. However, this sorta designer beauty is a size 2. Six years later I’m not really a 2, maybe a 4 if I try really hard on the average day, but a 2 isn’t achievable. So for the past month in preparation I’ve been dieting hardcore, ballet beautiful videos on youtube, and taking advantage of the free gym membership my university provides me with. This doesn’t seem much but because of a cut in grocery budget to $15/week I’ve dropped fifteen pounds this month. Yes that isn’t healthy I know but it’s chic so get over it. The dress fits, yes, but I haven’t eaten a carb in a week. You know how in The Devil Wears Prada Emily says that she’s on that diet where she “doesn’t eat anything, and then when [she] feels like she’s about to faint she eats a cube of cheese”? Yeah that’s been my life. Even budget cheddar cheese is amazing. If I want to wear my totes amaze dress tomorrow night I can forget the dinner. So depressing because everyone knows that this poor chic girl can barely afford food as it is and a $40 fillet of salmon for free would be so welcome.
Basically, old dresses bought on daddy’s dime back when he would do that are the best thing the poor chic girl can have. Be a smart teenager, buy timeless and you’ll never buy black tie again. And keto is the new black, or at least it goes best with it. Ketosis breath is the new Marvis jasmine mint too just so you know.
Carbs are so 2010.

Yeah, this is definitely some skinnyfat teenager who binge-watched Gossip Girl, probably read The Chic Diet or something of its ilk, absorbed it all into her personality and regurgitated it back into the web. Reminds me of how I talked and acted after reading the entire Clique book series in middle school ... or how Michael Scott acted in The Office after watching The Devil Wears Prada for the first time.

229a8a545ca2ff96cd84305d8fd74e2a.jpg

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 10 users
This blog greatly benefits from an internal narration in the voice of Zosia Mamet's character in Girls.

RU3u.gif

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users
I can barely hate-skim this dross. Am sick with a head cold, watching too many Gordon Ramsey eps, and boarding the reaction train before the Nyquil strikes.

...I’ve cultivated the chicest aesthetic possible in all black, product-infused ‘glowing’ skin, cigarette between two bony purple fingers...basically an image belonging in some street style blog

tumblr_myuxj6SBVz1qhelj9o1_500.gif

I blow my pathetically small paycheques on overpriced makeup and skincare. My credit card is perpetually maxed out, my savings is a designer change purse with a few quarters and pence and euros inside...

tumblr_o2bwqnchVG1v6pg78o1_500.gif

There comes a time in every poor chic girl’s life when she has to make a crucial decision: chic and truly miserable, or moderately less chic but happy.

giphy.gif

I apply the same logic to academia as I do to shoes

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: 9 users

Yeah, this is definitely some skinnyfat teenager who binge-watched Gossip Girl, probably read The Chic Diet or something of its ilk, absorbed it all into her personality and regurgitated it back into the web. Reminds me of how I talked and acted after reading the entire Clique book series in middle school ... or how Michael Scott acted in The Office after watching The Devil Wears Prada for the first time.

This is so accurate. The clique novels! I can feel in the pit of my stomach myself writing this as a skinny fat teenager yearning to live vicariously (but not knowing anything about high end life)

• Funny
Reactions: 1 user