Paris Opera Ballet School Thinspo

lasylphide

Rising Star
May 22, 2021
Europe
Hello everybody! I looked around and I haven’t found a thread yet that directly talks about the Paris Opera ballet school, which has amazing thinspo as they are all very graceful and skinny. I think it deserves its own thread, and if you have more to add please do! The school is quite elusive, and most of what you can find online is from the 90s so excuse the quality, but here are some videos that you all might be interested in:

^ an interview with the dancer Dorothé Gilbert which shows the figure of many skinny dancers (and some less so..)
465EDF9C-5EB7-4F06-972F-DFE024BC3319.png
E789514D-707E-4BE1-B1E7-E140EB170575.png
93B6620C-A68D-4DC1-8E5D-A7677CDFDD1A.png

^ in this one at the start and end, you can see Ghislaine Fallou, who at the time was a student and had a very beautiful body.
1F07C496-E70C-48BB-A36A-9BDB04639BF5.png
8B1CDB9A-DE5D-4C21-B375-959F6E4BDEC6.png

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Look, I don't want to discourage you from posting meaningful content but this easily could have gone in Thinspo Dump. This is the second thread you've posted this week, as a rookie you should be careful to not flood the forum with new threads. Even established members don't often make new threads unless they're sure it is both a useful contribution and has staying power.

If I were you I'd look at something more generalized, like this Ice Dancing thread by @SecretMelody17 . As someone that lived in Paris I love what you've compiled here, but examine the way that you're posting and try to make the threads you do start ones that will stick around and be discussed for years.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Look, I don't want to discourage you from posting meaningful content but this easily could have gone in Thinspo Dump. This is the second thread you've posted this week, as a rookie you should be careful to not flood the forum with new threads. Even established members don't often make new threads unless they're sure it is both a useful contribution and has staying power.
Alright, I am sorry for seeming careless in my posting. There is a thread for the Vaganova Ballet Academy that works well and seems beloved, and since there is even more emphasis on being thin in the Paris Opera school, I thought why not make a thread for it too, especially since that is the academy in which I grew up. I appreciate that I should maybe wait to be more established to post. Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate the time you took for this.
If I were you I'd look at something more generalized, like this Ice Dancing thread by @SecretMelody17 .

I do want to add though - not to be facetious, maybe just because I value my art form - equating ballet content to ice dancing is... a little offensive to both disciplines. That’s like equating baseball to golf because both involve hitting a ball with something. Ballet and artistic skating are completely different disciplines with different cultures, knowledge, skills and attitudes.

• WTF
Reactions: 4 users
Alright, I am sorry for seeming careless in my posting. There is a thread for the Vaganova Ballet Academy that works well and seems beloved, and since there is even more emphasis on being thin in the Paris Opera school, I thought why not make a thread for it too, especially since that is the academy in which I grew up. I appreciate that I should maybe wait to be more established to post. Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate the time you took for this.

I do want to add though - not to be facetious, maybe just because I value my art form - equating ballet content to ice dancing is... a little offensive to both disciplines. That’s like equating baseball to golf because both involve hitting a ball with something. Ballet and artistic skating are completely different disciplines with different cultures, knowledge, skills and attitudes.
I believe that @Natalie was just displaying an example of a generalised thread such as the Ice Dancing one, and not necessarily drawing a comparison between Ice Dancing and Ballet...

While reading through your several posts, I totally see where you're coming from and how passionate you are about ballet. However, I personally don't support the idea of dedicating a thread for each ballet academy, otherwise where do we start and end with creating new threads?

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
I believe that @Natalie was just displaying an example of a generalised thread such as the Ice Dancing one, and not necessarily drawing a comparison between Ice Dancing and Ballet...

While reading through your several posts, I totally see where you're coming from and how passionate you are about ballet. However, I personally don't support the idea of dedicating a thread for each ballet academy, otherwise where do we start and end with creating new threads?
Ah, I’m sorry, I must have misunderstood in terms of the ice dancing comment. And, as I have said, I am sorry that this post was not useful. I understand your feelings. Though, to be fair, it isn’t for every ballet academy. Depending on the sources or who you ask, this academy is either the number one academy in the world, or then second best to Vaganova, and has been for a long time. It has existed for centuries and turns out some of the best (and thinnest..!) ballerinas of history. I am not saying this to dispute what you have said, and I do appreciate you saying this to me with patience, it is just to try and express that it wasn’t my intention to be irresponsible and impulsive with this post. It was considered and thought-through, though I am sorry that it did not turn out useful to the forum. I will try to be more calculative in the future. English isn’t my mothertongue, so please excuse any issues in how I communicate things.

Reactions: 8 users
Ah, I’m sorry, I must have misunderstood in terms of the ice dancing comment. And, as I have said, I am sorry that this post was not useful. I understand your feelings. Though, to be fair, it isn’t for every ballet academy. Depending on the sources or who you ask, this academy is either the number one academy in the world, or then second best to Vaganova, and has been for a long time. It has existed for centuries and turns out some of the best (and thinnest..!) ballerinas of history. I am not saying this to dispute what you have said, and I do appreciate you saying this to me with patience, it is just to try and express that it wasn’t my intention to be irresponsible and impulsive with this post. It was considered and thought-through, though I am sorry that it did not turn out useful to the forum. I will try to be more calculative in the future. English isn’t my mothertongue, so please excuse any issues in how I communicate things.
@aestheticallyskinny is right in the comparison I was drawing, and I apologize for my lack of clarity; ice dancing and ballet are not at all the same discipline, and I have great respect for both.

As an aside, don't worry—you're obviously very thoughtful in the content you are sharing, my comment was just meant as a gentle suggestion going forward. You show a lot of promise, not all rookies are as well spoken or considerate! We're very lucky to have to as part of the forum, and I look forward to seeing more of you around—welcome!

Reactions: 6 users
Personally I think this thread is fine, but perhaps moved to the Online section rather than Member Articles since it's a 'thing' to discuss rather than a more abstract discussion theme (as Member Articles tend to be).

I mean, to my thinking, we have a Red Scare Podcast thread over there (featuring two absolutely idiotic and painfully average looking hosts not worthy of discussion imo) I don't see why we can't have two threads which center real beauty, art, dedication, self-creation etc. especially when a member intimately knows a lot about it. Just speculatively it feels that @lasylphide would probably be the major contributor but I think it could be a nice thread to sporadically see pop up, like the Vaganova thread.

(There is also the the more general Ballet as Thinspo thread in the Starving Tips section but this thread imo seems fine and interesting to me as a place to hone more genuine knowledge and get a sense of different specificities)

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Adore the way she talks about physicality… So incredibly eloquent and captivating.

Also have been reading David Hallberg’s autobiography and found his discussion of the exclusivity and philosophy of the Paris ballet scene fascinating, especially as he draws explicit comparisons between Paris, Russia, and the US ballet experiences; will try upload some pertinent parts of the memoir when I have more time!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users