Pair of shoes worth investing in?

Any suggestions on high-end designer combat boots, ballet flats, and comfortable walking sandals? I’m looking for something elegant that doesn’t show wear easily, comfortable at least after you break them in, will last a long time, and are investment pieces. For the combat boots I was looking at Louboutin and Balmain, for the flats and sandals I was looking at Hermès/Chanel/Louboutin/Valentino (Hermès and Chanel though seem so matronly/dated, I was hoping for something classic chic but I’ve been really disappointed with what they have for a selection across the board)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Louis Vuitton combat boots yet. They are the absolute best out of all high-end designer boots, comfort-wise and also in terms of attractiveness. Here is an example of the classic black although they have other colors and styles, I have a dark green embossed leather version which I bought in Europe and can't find a pic of online.

louis-vuitton-wonderland-ranger-flach-schuhe--AAWQ1BPC02_PM2_Front view.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Louis Vuitton combat boots yet. They are the absolute best out of all high-end designer boots, comfort-wise and also in terms of attractiveness. Here is an example of the classic black although they have other colors and styles, I have a dark green embossed leather version which I bought in Europe and can't find a pic of online.

View attachment 24261

I saw them in an ad a week ago (which I can't find, I tried searching it, it was in the desert :() and thought they looked absolutely stunning, and their bag quality is amazing. That being said I got a pair of their flats that didn't hold up too well so I've been hesitant to purchase LV shoes in general - boots may be different though.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I, literally, wear nothing but black, gray, and, very occasionally, olive green or denim. But those sandals have me fantasizing about some sort of Cinderella moment - they're gorgeous! You and I probably dress like polar opposites (there's a yin yang analogy in there somewhere) but we clearly have similar taste.

Go get you some Docs - they're totally a staple - but I also have two other pair of combat style boots (was three until the Wangs bit the dust) so I get what you're saying.

With regards to brands... I tend to do the same in avoiding the high end American designers for the same reasons. Wang has been the exception but the boot disaster has put me off a bit. And vanity sizing is for serious, blech.

But I've also had quality issues with some EU brands. Fendi has failed me (sunglasses) and Miu Miu. Ugh. Flimsy sunglasses x3, a shoe disaster, and the purse I'm currently wearing (it's a few years old but well cared for) is a "Miu" purse because the other Miu letters fell off. But, weirdly, I've gotten massive longevity out of the Prada items I have/had, so go figure. Actually the reason I'm still carrying the Miu bag (other than that the missing letters aren't super visible - I hate hard branded stuff) is because I'm reeaally wanting a particular Prada bag (I'll post it in the purse thread).

But also are you and I actually agreeing on something?!? We must be getting soft ;):p

Regarding colors - I'm all neutrals too. I love to have most of my clothes be black, beige, white, and grey so I can then add something special and make it really pop, and never have to worry about clashing or looking cheap/tacky. I do love exotics and metallics, and for color I will go for blue (I have blue eyes blonde hair and navy or royal blue is probably my best color) or red, but on both of these it would be a dress, top, or skirt that I can then pair easily with the other neutrals in my closet and make it stand out.

Definitely taking your advice on the Docs this weekend, I just need to go in store and see which style and calf height looks best. Any recommendations in particular?

1000% agree on Prada and Miu, and generally speaking all the other brands lumped under the Kering and LVMH umbrellas... Honestly quality in general especially in women's clothing and accessories has steadily gone downhill, so you have to find the exceptions to this and be particularly careful due the price at stake when shopping designer. Typically its the products that a brand hinges their reputation on that never go on sale and are classics that you can trust. Other than that I'm extremely wary when shopping. I'd say run like the plague from any brand selling dresses at an 80% discount on Saks Off Fifth (or buy and flip on eBay :sneaky:).

Haha fashion/intelligent shopping must be where we agree:highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding colors - I'm all neutrals too. I love to have most of my clothes be black, beige, white, and grey so I can then add something special and make it really pop, and never have to worry about clashing or looking cheap/tacky. I do love exotics and metallics, and for color I will go for blue (I have blue eyes blonde hair and navy or royal blue is probably my best color) or red, but on both of these it would be a dress, top, or skirt that I can then pair easily with the other neutrals in my closet and make it stand out.

Definitely taking your advice on the Docs this weekend, I just need to go in store and see which style and calf height looks best. Any recommendations in particular?

1000% agree on Prada and Miu, and generally speaking all the other brands lumped under the Kering and LVMH umbrellas... Honestly quality in general especially in women's clothing and accessories has steadily gone downhill, so you have to find the exceptions to this and be particularly careful due the price at stake when shopping designer. Typically its the products that a brand hinges their reputation on that never go on sale and are classics that you can trust. Other than that I'm extremely wary when shopping. I'd say run like the plague from any brand selling dresses at an 80% discount on Saks Off Fifth (or buy and flip on eBay :sneaky:).

Haha fashion/intelligent shopping must be where we agree:highfive:

With regards to the Docs I have the 1460 Smooth in black because they're timeless and go with everything, and patent because patent IS my "pop of colour". The 8 hole classic Doc is definitely my recommendation.

I basically dress like I'm on a permanent go-see. Unless you catch me in travel mode - then it's joggers and trainers. Or at the barn - self explanatory. I do wear a lot of jewelry though so I feel like that helps things from too boring.

"I'd say run like the plague from any brand selling dresses at an 80% discount on Saks Off Fifth (or buy and flip on eBay :sneaky:)."

Evil genius!! *files away for future use*

LMK what you wind up with!

Also for some reason (wine probably) I thought I'd responded to @elle_w00ds thus the "are we actually agreeing on something" bit *facepalm* but I'll let it stand since she seemed to be on the same page too. LOL

Last edited:
With regards to the Docs I have the 1460 Smooth in black because they're timeless and go with everything, and patent because patent IS my "pop of colour". The 8 hole classic Doc is definitely my recommendation.

I basically dress like I'm on a permanent go-see. Unless you catch me in travel mode - then it's joggers and trainers. Or at the barn - self explanatory. I do wear a lot of jewelry though so I feel like that helps things from too boring.

"I'd say run like the plague from any brand selling dresses at an 80% discount on Saks Off Fifth (or buy and flip on eBay :sneaky:)."

Evil genius!! *files away for future use*

LMK what you wind up with!

Also for some reason (wine probably) I thought I'd responded to @elle_w00ds thus the "are we actually agreeing on something" bit *facepalm* but I'll let it stand since she seemed to be on the same page too. LOL

I went yesterday into the store and tried on a few pair. Unfortunately nothing fit quite right. I wanted ones with a zip as well but in any case all of them gapped awkwardly at the top. I'm not sure how difficult this would be for a cobbler to fix, I'm going to stop in tomorrow to visit the one in my neighborhood and ask.

I'm also considering just going custom. Aside from Docs I was thinking luxury, and whenever you're thinking of a purchase in the thousands like an LV shoe or Louboutin boot would be if they aren't fitting perfectly, you mights well just go with someone doing it bespoke. I am fortunate enough to be located in NYC so hopefully I can find someone good. If anyone on here has any suggestions on this front please let me know!! Currently John Lobb and E. Vogel are the two that seem the best (Vogel for boots).

And haha no worries, I was a bit confused because I didn't think we had gotten into any arguments lol!

I went yesterday into the store and tried on a few pair. Unfortunately nothing fit quite right. I wanted ones with a zip as well but in any case all of them gapped awkwardly at the top. I'm not sure how difficult this would be for a cobbler to fix, I'm going to stop in tomorrow to visit the one in my neighborhood and ask.

I'm also considering just going custom. Aside from Docs I was thinking luxury, and whenever you're thinking of a purchase in the thousands like an LV shoe or Louboutin boot would be if they aren't fitting perfectly, you mights well just go with someone doing it bespoke. I am fortunate enough to be located in NYC so hopefully I can find someone good. If anyone on here has any suggestions on this front please let me know!! Currently John Lobb and E. Vogel are the two that seem the best (Vogel for boots).

And haha no worries, I was a bit confused because I didn't think we had gotten into any arguments lol!

If you're going bespoke Vogel for sure.. I have a few friends (in NYC) who have gone that route and I've heard nothing but good things. Docs are just one of those things I consider a staple - they wear well and stand the test of time z but if you're having fit issues scrap it and get something tailored.

I've never had fit issues with docs but plenty of it with other brands (dancer/rider has given me some interesting arches plus width)... I wear my docs untied/looselaced so I don't have to concern myself with much more than "will they stay on my feet"...

Whatever you decide I hope you post a photo.

Also for some reason (wine probably) I thought I'd responded to @elle_w00ds thus the "are we actually agreeing on something" bit *facepalm* but I'll let it stand since she seemed to be on the same page too.
I didn't realise we are in frequent disagreement either, but will embrace the softness which was attributed to me so long as it remains proverbial. Not sure if the rest of the comment was intended for me too, then, specifically the part about you being the sartorial yin to my yang? Contrary to what my nick might indicate I actually don't habitually sport monochromatic pink, though I tend more in that direction than I do normcore.

Opinions on the Casadei Blade pumps? Not the upcoming ones with the odd Plexiglass heel casing, but the basic ones. I need a pair of good matte black leather stilettos and some matte nude stilettos that match my skin tone, and I do like the shape of the Blade. Never talked to anyone who's owned a pair, though, so not sure how they hold up/wear.

I snagged a pair of these Chloé gladiator sandals secondhand but never worn. :grin: They elongate my legs and I'm happily wearing them all summer...
glad sand.PNG

Also have you girls heard of Dear Frances? Although I find the majority of the collection quite ugly, I have from there a few pieces that I really love (for both shape and comfort) and their customer service is fantastic (a heel came apart after three months of wear and they gave me back the entirety of that purchase in store credit). Though apparently Kendall and Bella are fans too :rolleyes:

Anyone own a pair of Prada loafers? I am in love with the green brushed leather tassel loafers but don't know if they are worth investing in. They're sold out everywhere so I'm sure I'd have to spend close to the original retail price if not more on them which I'm willing to do, but if they aren't comfortable or durable I would definitely rather look at other options ( + suggestions would be appreciated :luvluv:)

So I bought the Balenciaga Ceinture boots last weekend - I’ve been thinking about buying them for close to a year now. They may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I absolutely adore them ❤️

777884B6-1C60-45DF-8876-BB50E22DA42F.jpeg
DAE3D3CF-7148-4168-8865-EF51F935276C.jpeg
4009A1E8-F19E-42AE-878B-EDD0F2346A12.jpeg
FAF13DFF-FCB2-47BF-95E5-4B855706DE26.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
This may be an immature choice but spending over $300 on shoes isn't practical as a uni student so Doc Martins are my personal favourite! They go with so many different outfits and give you extra heigh which is always nice. The vegan ones are much easier to wear in if you don't feel like subjecting yourself to 10000 blisters along the way and they look basically the same

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users
I am reviving this thread. Need advice on what staple pair of sandals I should get for summer that won't kill my pockets that much. I am trying to stay away from all the trends, and basic sandals you see everywhere. I need something comfortable, timeless and elegant at the same time. Something I can use on a daily basis without it hurting too much since, for some reason, my feet can't stand the regular sandal. I threw so many away because even though they're cute, they're not usable or comfortable for me.

Any suggestions are welcome :flower: thank you in advance

I am reviving this thread. Need advice on what staple pair of sandals I should get for summer that won't kill my pockets that much. I am trying to stay away from all the trends, and basic sandals you see everywhere. I need something comfortable, timeless and elegant at the same time. Something I can use on a daily basis without it hurting too much since, for some reason, my feet can't stand the regular sandal. I threw so many away because even though they're cute, they're not usable or comfortable for me.

Any suggestions are welcome :flower: thank you in advance

I really love and highly recommend K Jacques. The leather and sole is incredibly high quality. I first heard about them from Garance Dore’s blog years ago and bought a pair in 2018 (the Laura style, photo below). Despite wearing them frequently every summer since and even once in a rainstorm, they’re still almost like new. They’re honestly incredible quality and have held up so much better than far more expensive sandals from Manolo, Aquazurra, etc. The company makes hundreds of different styles and in different colors so hopefully you can find one you like.

233D0E89-553B-40C5-BAFA-6E153E8DBFD6.jpeg

• Useful
Anyone have thoughts on Carel shoes? I'm slated for a promotion and was thinking of buying a pair if I get it. I love how feminine and sleek they are, especially with sheer tights. Very pricey though…

image_main_xl-2c8b80b1bfc0db9106de2612128819b7c7b9d3d6_sagahome.jpg

blue-patent-leather-mary-janes.jpg

Burgundy-patent-leather-mary-janes.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users