Open calls in London?

• Thread starter Avocadoicecream
  • Start date
A

Avocadoicecream

Hello! :)

Soo... since I´ve been dreaming about modeling for a Long time, but never been able to lose that amount of weight like I have now, I really want to find out, if I am model material or not..

I am able to go to London for 2-3 days next week (Monday I think) and I really want to visit some agencies... The Problem is.. I don´t have any experience or a mother agency, since there is absolutely nothing Fashion/modeling related going on here where I live..
Does it make sense to visit the big ones like Elite, Wilhelmina, IMG...(could not find all open call times)
Do you have some list of the agencies I should visit?
How to prepare? What to bring? Any other advice?
Is there some certain spot where most of the agencies are located? Like where is the best place to stay in a Hotel? aand.. is it difficult to get from one place to another if it´s your first time alone in a big City?
If rejected.. is it rude to ask why? I really want honest opinions.. Just because maybe I should forget about that dream and rather spend my time Sightseeing if the 3rd agency tells me I am simply no model material.. if you now what I mean.. ;)

Would be really thankful to get some advice, maybe some experiences!
Thanks a lot!

Unless you're going to an advertised open call, don't just drop in. Most annoying thing ever. All major agencies allow you to submit pictures online, do this instead. If there's a message space on the application form, let them know what dates you'll be in town in case they want to set up a meeting with you.

There's no specific area to stay that would really be useful, most agencies are located centrally, but for instance Viva is East, Next is near Old St, IMG is on Tottenham Court Rd and Storm is even further West. They're all spread out, so stay anywhere near a main tube station and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, just saying, but as you're from Austria, you're really better to sign with a mother agency closer to home and then they will set you up with international placements when they see fit. It's more or less unheard of for any London agency to sign an international new face as MA as it's just not practical for you to be traveling to London every day for castings and tests etc. If they call you at 9am and tell you you have a casting in Shoreditch at 1pm, you're going to miss it - you don't get told things in advance in this industry.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks a lot for you answer!
Unless you're going to an advertised open call, don't just drop in. Most annoying thing ever. All major agencies allow you to submit pictures online, do this instead. If there's a message space on the application form, let them know what dates you'll be in town in case they want to set up a meeting with you.
Ok that might be a problem.. I´m able to go on monday and I don´t think they might reply that fast.. :S Always thouhgt it was better to see them in Person so they can see everything right away.. and I thought it was a good idea to find out if I have potential or not..

Also, just saying, but as you're from Austria, you're really better to sign with a mother agency closer to home and then they will set you up with international placements when they see fit. It's more or less unheard of for any London agency to sign an international new face as MA as it's just not practical for you to be traveling to London every day for castings and tests etc. If they call you at 9am and tell you you have a casting in Shoreditch at 1pm, you're going to miss it - you don't get told things in advance in this industry.
Oh ok so you think I should rather go to Paris or Milan? (I can choose where I want to go as this trip is a birthday present from my father)

Thanks a lot for you answer!
Ok that might be a problem.. I´m able to go on monday and I don´t think they might reply that fast.. :S Always thouhgt it was better to see them in Person so they can see everything right away.. and I thought it was a good idea to find out if I have potential or not..
Oh ok so you think I should rather go to Paris or Milan? (I can choose where I want to go as this trip is a birthday present from my father)

Nope, they are INCREDIBLY busy and have much more important things to do than chat to every wannabe that walks in off the street (I'm not calling you a wannabe, you might be incredible, I'm just speaking generally). Apply online, that's why they have the forms there.

I think you should rather go somewhere that you can realistically work. Unless you're a main board girl who's done her time testing and doing countless go-sees, or you're an international girl with a MA elsewhere, If a client can't view you and cast you that same day they request to see you then there's no point in having you on the board. Modeling agencies are first, and foremost, businesses and they need to make money. What's the point in representing a girl if she lives in another country preventing you from building her and getting her work.

Hope that makes sense.

Nope, they are INCREDIBLY busy and have much more important things to do than chat to every wannabe that walks in off the street (I'm not calling you a wannabe, you might be incredible, I'm just speaking generally). Apply online, that's why they have the forms there.

I think you should rather go somewhere that you can realistically work. Unless you're a main board girl who's done her time testing and doing countless go-sees, or you're an international girl with a MA elsewhere, If a client can't view you and cast you that same day they request to see you then there's no point in having you on the board. Modeling agencies are first, and foremost, businesses and they need to make money. What's the point in representing a girl if she lives in another country preventing you from building her and getting her work.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks a lot!
I was thinking about Germany too, but the only good ones I know are practically the same distance as Milan..:(
What if moving to another country was an option for an aspiring model?
Sorry, don´t want to be annoying it´s just hard to figure out what to do since it´s this one opportunity next week I have to travel...

I think you should send your pics to AB or some of the insiders on this site that is known for working on modeling agencys and let them judge if you have any talent before you move to another country in hopes to model. Im sure they could give you great tips and such as well.