Olivia Palermo

Here's a quote from her recent interview that's relevant to the whole artificial-attitude-vs-good-taste debate:
I get up every morning and I get dressed and I like getting dressed. I like walking out of the house feeling fully put together. It doesn't matter if there's someone standing outside of my apartment or not. I couldn't care less. I like getting dressed for me and not them.

I'd say there's a big difference between being artificial and simply holding yourself to high standards. I wouldn't judge someone for dressing down sometimes (I do it all the time), but I admire her nonetheless for being so consistently immaculate.
In a way, I think dressing "just so" at all times is actually her way of being *true* to herself. I mean, the girl works in fashion. She clearly cares about style. In this sense, I think her personal presentation is far from artificial- it's a reflection of her commitment to taste and class. :cool:

InStyle UK cover

Olivia-Palermo-InStyle-UK-5.jpg

Olivia-Palermo-InStyle_7600_878.jpg

Olivia-Palermo-InStyle-UK-6.jpg

(On an unrelated note, I had NO IDEA that UK InStyle was so much better than US!! :party:)

She may have no waist definition but she looks AMAZING in clothes!!!

She clearly knows how to dress her body type (I didn't notice her unwaistedness untill I saw the bikini shot) and she has killer legs. And to top all of that, she has a wardrobe to die for. Jealous.

She clearly knows how to dress her body type (I didn't notice her unwaistedness untill I saw the bikini shot) and she has killer legs. And to top all of that, she has a wardrobe to die for. Jealous.

Completely agree

She's absolutely immaculate. Not a hair out of place, I really think of her as like a real life Blair Waldorf, which is why I guess it never bothered me how people have this perception of her as being a bitch. Even in her more boring or outlandish outfits she looks so amazing because of those beautiful legs.

love this thread, she is 5'4" like me... love her style and she is a new found thinspo for me... although I'm much more top heavy than she

Reactions: 1 user
new pics

b10333214373691.jpg

c188db214373694.jpg

8da832214373696.jpg

8c3a88214373700.jpg

At the risk of sounding too much in love with her I just adore this entire situation she's got going on. She and her boyfriend always look like they're being caught while being shot for a mag. Also it's still approx 1 million degrees here in LA so I'm jealous of sweater weather

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I live in flats. I'm so glad to see they are such a staple of her wardrobe, her outfits look amazing with them and her legs still look fit and lean (even without heels).

I live in flats. I'm so glad to see they are such a staple of her wardrobe, her outfits look amazing with them and her legs still look fit and lean (even without heels).

It really is amazing. Usually even tall and relatively thin women's legs can look unflattering in flats. I've never seen someone so petite have such delicate yet shapely looking calves without heels on!

It really is amazing. Usually even tall and relatively thin women's legs can look unflattering in flats. I've never seen someone so petite have such delicate yet shapely looking calves without heels on!

I wish my legs looked as great as hers in flats :bow: I have a tall slim friend who even at her lowest weights has thick calves and ankles, the poor thing:twisted:

I am baffled by the (very often American) tendency to bash people for always being well dressed and thoroughly polished in public. HOW is this a bad thing? In my book this reads like fat-acceptance: I can't keep my mouth or my pantry shut so why should anyone who does be human or REAL or relatable. Give me a break - just not in public, if that's your job, to look good, as one might argue when speaking of weight and physical appearances, then why the fuck should anyone in that position be berated for doing a stellar job of keeping up appearances?

Just wanted to comment on this: as someone who has always intrinsically preferred not stepping out of the house without feeling put-together, I find the duality between the acceptability of the public persona in Europe vs. America very interesting. I have had many male European friends and acquaintances tell me they are baffled by the sloppiness of American women out and about in public – how they seem to run around with very little eye towards personal appearance. This attitude is certainly reflected in practice: if you go to most European cities, you'll find, on average, more people are “styled” and are putting forth a degree of effort when they leave their house.

Stateside, this mentality seems to be shunned by a lot of people: being immaculately dressed can almost make you a target, or at least a spectacle of curiosity. People constantly ask me why I'm so dressed up – but the truth of the matter is a) I love beautiful clothes and putting them together, it gives me a sense of pride and a freedom of creativity and b) It's ingrained in me that you step out of the house looking somewhat presentable. I don't always wear makeup, I don't really wear heels anymore and I never have my hair immaculately done or anything (simple bun is enough for me), but I don't go to so much as the store in my pajamas, either. I actually love and respect Olivia's constant presentability and the fact she always looks like she's put some thought into what she's wearing. She doesn't look fake to me, just style-conscious.

I think it's sort of a fine line, because I adamantly believe people should dress to feel comfortable, but at the same time, do people not have standards anymore? Nothing makes me cringe internally more than seeing the Brentwood housewife look of dyed blonde hair, deep tan and hot pink Juicy velour tracksuit, or the ubiquitous JAP uniform of huge, loose 250 dollar Aritzia sweatpants stuffed into floppy looking, salt encrusted Uggs that seems to be sported by half the people where I live come Winter-time. THAT SAID. I fucking love Lululemon yoga pants, I'm such a convert, and will sometimes wear those out between going to the gym and going home, so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite.

People constantly ask me why I'm so dressed up – but the truth of the matter is a) I love beautiful clothes and putting them together, it gives me a sense of pride and a freedom of creativity and b) It's ingrained in me that you step out of the house looking somewhat presentable. I don't always wear makeup, I don't really wear heels anymore and I never have my hair immaculately done or anything (simple bun is enough for me), but I don't go to so much as the store in my pajamas, either. I actually love and respect Olivia's constant presentability and the fact she always looks like she's put some thought into what she's wearing. She doesn't look fake to me, just style-conscious.

I totally agree. You can look stylish and presentable even if you only choose your clothes well and don't put on make-up or heels. Olivia always looks so amazing, I really adore her.