NYC in the Fall

alexandtm

Rookie
Dec 29, 2012
I am so excited girls, I am going to NYC this October! I've never been, so I am thrilled to finally get the chance to experience the city. Needless to say, I'm not planning on having much food cross my lips for the next few months. I don't want to look like one of those tourists.

I know it's ridiculous, but I don't want to appear provincial or lame. So I'm already fretting on what to wear. So, if you ladies were off to play tourist and eat at fancypants restaurants, what would you pack? Or, if you ladies live there, what would you suggest? I'd really like to blend in with the locals as best I can. I'm scoping out some street style blogs for ideas, but I'd love any suggestions you all could contribute as well.

I know it's ridiculous, but I don't want to appear provincial or lame. So I'm already fretting on what to wear. So, if you ladies were off to play tourist and eat at fancypants restaurants, what would you pack? Or, if you ladies live there, what would you suggest? I'd really like to blend in with the locals as best I can. I'm scoping out some street style blogs for ideas, but I'd love any suggestions you all could contribute as well.

I would probably pack

--A black coat and a cute parka for rainy days

http://www.zara.com/ca/en/sale/woman/outerwear/trf/hooded-parka-c541536p2154002.html I just got this zara parka - it's beautiful and cheap.

--Black leather jeans
--Ankle heeled boots (plus comfortable heels and heeled leather boot ). For some reason I don't ever wear flats in NYC.
--Classic tees to wear under leather jackets paired with skinnies and classic watches
--Chic LBD's & LWD's
-- 2 or 3 colourful dresses
--Nail polish, chic hat ( for tourist stuff), accessories.

Lots of dark clothing :lol:

Zara and Mango have some pretty cute and inexpensive things as well .

Bathing suits for indoor pools and Spas

http://www.oyeswimwear.com/collections/one-piece/products/golightly

http://www.oyeswimwear.com/collections/one-piece/products/deep-plunge

I love some of their one piece suits.

-----

Have fun.

Reactions: 1 user
So….. I am super jealous! Ah, you lucky duck.
Anywho, I would say to stock up on your basics:

-Black/Navy blue blazier (with a long sleeve shirt to go underneath.. its chilly in Oct)
-Black skinnies
-Leather jacket
-Black pumps/ankle booties (black or tan suede ankle booties are so cute)
-Neutral color v-neck tee's
-Couple different LBD's with earthy tone jewelry
-Scarves (patterned thin ones or chunky knit ones)
-Higher end cross body handbag (totes can be annoying while site seeing, etc)

I think Pinterest is a good place to find cute ideas, but the model street style here would be the absolute best please to discover new ideas and trends!

I am so excited girls, I am going to NYC this October! I've never been, so I am thrilled to finally get the chance to experience the city. Needless to say, I'm not planning on having much food cross my lips for the next few months. I don't want to look like one of those tourists.

New Yorker here! Happy to help!! October is the perfect month to visit! Comfortable to walk around the city and you can wear lighter weight clothes in the day and toss on a blazer in the night.

I know it sounds bland but you cannot go wrong with black! I wear black all the time and let my accesories really tell my outfit. Also make sure you are going for a more polished look. If I was going to dinner in meat packing (which I highly suggest!) or sushi of gari... my favorite on Upper East Side I would wear black jbrand skinnies with a joie silk top and some statement pumps. Then I pair it with a cute purse ( I would do my chanel mini crossbody) and basic classic jewelry.

New York is a WALKING city so don't expect to wear your heels all day and avoid the grates ( I lost an Manolo heel in one :cry:) so bring flats to wear when walking and step to the side when walking indoors and change into your heels. I absolutely love West Village and all its quaint eateries and bars. I would also walk on the highline if the weather is nice ( Enter in by the DVF store in meatpacking (14th street between 9th and 10th ave) for gorgeous Hudson river views.

Feel free to PM me for any other questions concerning the city! I'm happy to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Black.

That is all.

Yes.

And don't even bother wearing heels. Hardly anyone wears heels for just walking around. Just wear a t-shirt and skinny jeans with flat boots or something and carry around a small bag/crossbody

I'd also avoid meatpacking unless you're in the mood to hang out with a bunch of loud European people and get annoyed. I prefer les or east village if I'm feeling gross, but to each her own

Reactions: 1 user