New series of supersize vs superskinny!

I will never be inspired by this show. I mean, I just can't imagine myself becoming that fat and gross with such disgusting eating habits. I just can't.

Ditto.
It doesn't even put me off food completely.

And it's not like you can get useful diet tips from the skinnies. :lol: :)puke:)

I actually do get inspired from the skinnies, in that most of them care so little about food and eat tiny portions. I wish my appetite were that low. Then again, I probably would lose my appetite if my diet consisted only of the unhealthy junk food they limit themselves to.... and I probably would be as tired as most of them seem to be.

'These programmes often reinforce the unrealistic, thin beauty ideal by using body weight and weight loss as an indicator of participants' success (e.g. through weekly weigh-ins) and they often show an oversimplified relationship between weight status and health.'

It is the only programme I know that make underweight people gain weight. Others are only concentrated on weight loss, for over-weight people or for lazy olding women. I'm not saying that because I'm addicted to this programme, it is an unbiaised point of weight: there is not a "thin beauty ideal", there is a helath ideal. Superskinnies didn't eat well, as the supersizes; and they both end up unhealthy. If you eat well, you improve your health and it have an impact on your weight. Is that oversimplified?

How is she supposed to eat 1500 a day and still be this skinny? D:

Her body looks fine to me! How is she saying she looks disgusting? I want to
slap her D:

I've been checking out some episodes of this show on youtube and while I admit its quite entertaining (and addictive :grin:) I do question how useful/safe/healthy it is for the actual participants. First off the 'superskinnies' aren't really superskinny IMO (only a few times were they really), they just eat very poorly and their calorie counts aren't that low at all. I really doubt though that making them eat gigantic portions with their small stomachs is such a great idea, its like encouraging binge behavior. I know I started binging after a few weeks of this sort of 'forced big meals'. And then conversely, someone who has been regularly consuming 5000 cals a day for years, I mean I assume it wouldn't be the safest thing for them to cut down so drastically, seriously. I know they are all supervised by medical staff and so on, and the whole point of the show is the 'shock treatment' aspect, but still, I find it a tad inhumane is all.

I've been checking out some episodes of this show on youtube and while I admit its quite entertaining (and addictive :grin:) I do question how useful/safe/healthy it is for the actual participants. First off the 'superskinnies' aren't really superskinny IMO (only a few times were they really), they just eat very poorly and their calorie counts aren't that low at all. I really doubt though that making them eat gigantic portions with their small stomachs is such a great idea, its like encouraging binge behavior. I know I started binging after a few weeks of this sort of 'forced big meals'. And then conversely, someone who has been regularly consuming 5000 cals a day for years, I mean I assume it wouldn't be the safest thing for them to cut down so drastically, seriously. I know they are all supervised by medical staff and so on, and the whole point of the show is the 'shock treatment' aspect, but still, I find it a tad inhumane is all.

I think they find it to be safe because, well originally I think it was for a week, but this season they only do the diet swap for 2 days. I was pretty disturbed by todays episode where the superskinny (who wasn't so thin) kept saying she wanted to go and throw up. It seemed like a bit of an extreme response, I understand 'I feel sick from this' but she was saying 'I want to throw up'. That didn't seem safe to me.

I think they find it to be safe because, well originally I think it was for a week, but this season they only do the diet swap for 2 days. I was pretty disturbed by todays episode where the superskinny (who wasn't so thin) kept saying she wanted to go and throw up. It seemed like a bit of an extreme response, I understand 'I feel sick from this' but she was saying 'I want to throw up'. That didn't seem safe to me.

Hmm if its up on youtube already I'll check it out.... but thats not surprising, I know for myself if I went from 500 cals a day (or what have you) to being given greasy chinese takeaway, there is a good chance I would have to vomit, (involuntarily, not purging)....which is why I sort of question the safety of this 'diet swap'. But hey, people will do anything to make some entertaining TV I suppose.

@leila and @Exquisite they gave her 2,500 calories to eat after the swap to gain weight and when she went back she'd only gained 4lbs! :lol:

I can't believe they actually believed she was sticking to the plan!

Last edited by a moderator:
@leila and @Exquisite they gave her 2,500 calories to eat after the swap to gain weight and when she went back she'd only gained 4lbs! :lol:

I can't believe they actually believed she was sticking to the plan!

Yeah I don't even know what to think....I mean, first off she had a BMI of 17 something so not superskinny anyway, then, she was not eating too much overall but it was all crap/fatty/etc, so maybe switching to healthier food (even if more in quantity) didn't make her gain too much? But yeah I'd agree 2500 is much too high and I doubt she followed that....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a few episodes of this show and absolutely love it. Watching the food tube of the fat people is such good reverse thinspo for me. :superpuke:

Yeah I don't even know what to think....I mean, first off she had a BMI of 17 something so not superskinny anyway, then, she was not eating too much overall but it was all crap/fatty/etc, so maybe switching to healthier food (even if more in quantity) didn't make her gain too much? But yeah I'd agree 2500 is much too high and I doubt she followed that....

Yeah surely if you were actually eating that amount to gain weight, it'd be unhealthy? Surely you'd only gain fat because it was so quick?

about removing the food tube. it's a good idea in a way.all this food going to waste :(. but they do the cooking thing to see how much suger and fat they eat and also end up wasting food !! so I don't know.

anyway I always used to imagine my food in that tube .

I just burst out laughing when the doctor mentioned that for obese patients they have to go to the zoo to use zoo CT scan (those intended for large animals). Surely this would give them a wake up call...

"Our superskinny is eating just 1,200 calories each day. A minuscule amount and causing her to under-eat by a horrendous 4,200 calories each week."

I love the show, but Dr. Christian is quite the drama queen. :lol:

Honestly the Skinnies are pretty average-looking :/ I mean, Skinny Gossip's idea of average, but definitely not inspiring to me.

Grr!

Honestly the Skinnies are pretty average-looking :/ I mean, Skinny Gossip's idea of average, but definitely not inspiring to me.

Grr!

True, for the episodes this season no real 'SG skinnies', but watching some random episodes form past seasons (where they would actually say the person's BMI and weight and stuff) there was the occasional BMI 14 skinny....I feel like they might be trying to shy away from that since they are not an ED clinic and such, and in the general public's perception a person with a BMI of 14 or below belongs in an ED clinic. They're sort of on shaky ground anyway with their 'shock treatment' as it is IMO.

"Our superskinny is eating just 1,200 calories each day. A minuscule amount and causing her to under-eat by a horrendous 4,200 calories each week."

I love the show, but Dr. Christian is quite the drama queen. :lol:

He also keeps saying a normal BMI is between 20 and 25??? :confused: