Models next to people...

I've always just wondered what the legal procedures are - do they have to sign something to say, "yes it's ok to use my face"? And if not, I imagine some gold digger somewhere's tried to sue, right?

Tagging @FashionThin to answer my stupid questions <3

For very large shoots in busy places, I've seen signage posted that says something like: "This area is an active set. By entering, you agree to have your image/likeness included." <--literally just saw this in Grand Central when I went to CT a few weekends ago, but I doubt that stands up in court if you're clearly, recognizably shown in a film you weren't paid for. It's the job of a PA or AD to make sure randoms don't wander onto your set, even on a crowded city street but it clearly doesn't always work.

Honestly, in that image with Julie Hoomans I think they were thinking that a) she probably doesn't read fashion magazines and wouldn't notice herself in one and b) there aren't enough identifying details of that woman to constitute "likeness" in court. She's looking down (no eye color), she's obscured by glasses, her clothes are plain, the location is nondescript, and the image is black and white. She'd likely get crushed if she tried to sue because it would be tough to prove harm/invasion of privacy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Zhenya Katava

Q7hIMXu.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: 1 users
I think what amazes me most isn't the difference in weight, it's how models just know how to appear captivating in a picture. You don't want to look away.

Here's a few of Peyton Knight.
Screenshot_20170817-030642.png
Screenshot_20170817-031445.png
Screenshot_20170817-031350.png

• Agree
Zhenya Katava

Q7hIMXu.jpg

This reminds me of sitting down in so many of my lecture-style college classes. My knees would always touch the seat in front of me and it was always so difficult when people wanted to get past me in order to get to another seat. I hated it :lol:

• Agree
My first response is always not "models are so tall!" but, "How short are these people??" I'm 5'7 on the best day (i feel short) and these people must be a full head shorter. I always forget how many 5'1-5'3 women there are...and stumpy ones at that...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
My first response is always not "models are so tall!" but, "How short are these people??" I'm 5'7 on the best day (i feel short) and these people must be a full head shorter. I always forget how many 5'1-5'3 women there are...and stumpy ones at that...
The average height of women around the world is actually around 5'4" so there are more women who are 5'1"-5'3" (including myself :( ) than model height

• Agree
Not all of us are lucky enough to be above-average height. And I know you probably don't mean to sound like this, but I got a pretty disdainful vibe from "these people."

Also, genuinely curious, how is it that you forget how many women out there are 5'1-5'3?

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
Not all of us are lucky enough to be above-average height. And I know you probably don't mean to sound like this, but I got a pretty disdainful vibe from "these people."

Also, genuinely curious, how is it that you forget how many women out there are 5'1-5'3?
I have to agree with you - people can certainly control their weight, but when it comes to height, your genetics give you a fairly narrow range to work with. Plus, I don't know about most people, but I grew up in a developing country where there often isn't enough nutrition, and I do feel that affected my height.

• Agree
I have to agree with you - people can certainly control their weight, but when it comes to height, your genetics give you a fairly narrow range to work with. Plus, I don't know about most people, but I grew up in a developing country where there often isn't enough nutrition, and I do feel that affected my height.

Agree 100% with you. It is actually cruel to make fun/look down on people for something we are not able to change. Height is like skin colour, it can't be changed.
I'm sure a lot of girls in this forum are thin and pretty enough to model, but height is an impediment for them to do so. The only thing we can do is accept what we can't change, and work hard for what we can change.
So lucky tall girls like you @espressoenthusiast , I hope you don't waste your height and enjoy what you have. Short girls we are already very aware of how short and stumpy we are/can become, so hearing it from a tall person isn't very pleasant, at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

In NYC almost every girl is around that height and I always tower over them. Being constantly reminded how much taller I am than everyone else (including lots of guys) since I was 7. I'm only 5'8 too. Anyways, my point is its almost impossible to forget how much taller you are than average unless you are with a bunch of models. But thats just NYC. I think expresso lives in California, and there could be much more taller people there. I've never been there so I'm not sure.

• Agree
In NYC almost every girl is around that height and I always tower over them. Being constantly reminded how much taller I am than everyone else (including lots of guys) since I was 7. I'm only 5'8 too. Anyways, my point is its almost impossible to forget how much taller you are than average unless you are with a bunch of models. But thats just NYC. I think expresso lives in California, and there could be much more taller people there. I've never been there so I'm not sure.
I'm from CA but now I'm in NYC like you; I definitely agree that "in public" I don't feel super short, tall-ish even sometimes, but I'm friends with far too many models to stay sane about my height ;)

• Love
  • Eye Roll
Reactions: 2 users