Models next to people...

In NYC almost every girl is around that height and I always tower over them. Being constantly reminded how much taller I am than everyone else (including lots of guys) since I was 7. I'm only 5'8 too. Anyways, my point is its almost impossible to forget how much taller you are than average unless you are with a bunch of models. But thats just NYC. I think expresso lives in California, and there could be much more taller people there. I've never been there so I'm not sure.
Omg I meant espresso :supershame: I was in a rush typing that as you can see.
I'm from CA but now I'm in NYC like you; I definitely agree that "in public" I don't feel super short, tallish even sometimes, but I'm friends with way too many models to stay sane about my height ;)
I assumed that in California its crawling with commercial models so theres tons of girls around 5'7 5'8. Maybe I'm wrong. And same, I was in the club and I was next to this model (we eventually became friends) and she's 6'3 in converse. :cry: Must be nice. I mean I wouldn't want to be thatt tall but maybe 5'11.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @espressoenthusiast, I know I'm an invisible nobody worker bee here and you are a Skinny Gossip Royal (and also happen to be one of my favourite members, I love most of your contributions to the forums) but, with the risk of sounding repetitive, I'd like to say I'm a little disappointed at how you handled having hurt other forum members' feelings over something they have no control of. If you can't "stay sane" about your height, imagine what it's like for us who are actually short. I know Skinny Gossip is the place to awe over the ethereal, tall models and most of us would like to have a model like height as well. That's fine, I definitely think noticeably above average height should be a requirement for models. I agree that the comparison between a model and someone who's a little over 5 feet can look funny at times. I also don't believe you were trying to be mean or demeaning in any way but that's how your original message came across and your latest response didn't really make it seem much different. Sorry for going off-topic and probably sounding annoying and whiny but I would really like you to address this and make your message more clear, if that's not too much trouble. Not trying to pick a fight, you are someone I have a very high opinion of and I have no doubt you didn't mean to make it sound like short people are somehow "less" for the sake of our height.

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I think I get what @espressoenthusiast is saying. On my worst posture day I am 5' 9 1/4" (175.5) in bare feet. Unless I am doing something athletic (llllol) I will not be caught dead outside my apartment without heels. My friends are all tall - not 5'6 "tall", like Lower East Side tall. I work literally all day with models who are considered short at 5'8, and if I catch them in flats I kill them and feed them to my dragon. A couple of the people I work with are "short" but tbh they are probably average height. When I am around a lot of short people, it's very weird but not in a bad snobbish way. It's just different from what I am used to, and you notice it. Someone brought up the race thing so maybe that is similar. If I was the only white girl in a club full of black football players I would notice that too. I wouldn't be angry or negative about it but I would have to be an idiot if I did not notice. I love being tall, I would never ever change it, but I don't really look down on anyone* for being short. I'm just happy that I'm not.

*hehe :sneaky:

Reactions: 9 users
Lais next to her trainer for VS Sport

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171015-150506.png
    Screenshot_20171015-150506.png
    561.8 KB · Views: 214
  • WTF
if I catch them in flats I kill them and feed them to my dragon
:spitlaugh:

Here's my summary of what seems to be going on: @espressoenthusiast made a comment in a way that hurt some feelings, and everyone's sort of trying to subtly hint that it was a bit mean - without outright saying so because of her rank here. Unfortunately she is either not picking up on these hints because they are too subtle, or she is intentionally ignoring them, and that is rustling a few more jimmies.

Am I reading this right? :flower:

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
I think @Ellie put it very well. I’ll just say what I meant to without beating around the bush here and take whatever backlash I get.

@espressoenthusiast I recognize you meant no harm by your comment and I very much enjoy your contributions around this forum! :flower: And yes, I admire tall, thin women and believe they’re extremely attractive. I also agree with the idea that models should be tall and that people under a certain height should not expect to model. However, I did feel your comment about short women in general came off as a little disdainful and I think it’s important for us to remember that while tall bodies are more attractive, people can’t control their height and it’s unfair to shame someone who’s short (assuming they don’t believe it’s their right to model). That’s just my opinion, anyway. Once again, I still very much love your contributions on this forum and I’m sure you did not mean what you said the way it came across :luvluv:

Hi @espressoenthusiast, I know I'm an invisible nobody worker bee here and you are a Skinny Gossip Royal (and also happen to be one of my favourite members, I love most of your contributions to the forums) but, with the risk of sounding repetitive, I'd like to say I'm a little disappointed at how you handled having hurt other forum members' feelings over something they have no control of. If you can't "stay sane" about your height, imagine what it's like for us who are actually short. I know Skinny Gossip is the place to awe over the ethereal, tall models and most of us would like to have a model like height as well. That's fine, I definitely think noticeably above average height should be a requirement for models. I agree that the comparison between a model and someone who's a little over 5 feet can look funny at times. I also don't believe you were trying to be mean or demeaning in any way but that's how your original message came across and your latest response didn't really make it seem much different. Sorry for going off-topic and probably sounding annoying and whiny but I would really like you to address this and make your message more clear, if that's not too much trouble. Not trying to pick a fight, you are someone I have a very high opinion of and I have no doubt you didn't mean to make it sound like short people are somehow "less" for the sake of our height.
First, I'm not trying to wax poetic about how beautiful all tall women are, or how ugly all short women are. I'd be a damn hypocrite if I did, because I'm minimally above average height, and about one standard deviation below FT for example. But, if you're on a forum about high fashion models, and on a thread about how models are somehow "superior" at least aesthetically, as this thread suggests, height obviously comes into play. Of all threads to have this conversation on, this one seems the most paradoxical--height is almost always the most noticeably difference between the posted models and their "real life" counter parts, especially when the "normal" people are not extremely overweight. Finally, I am sorry if you or anyone else was offended (and I really am sorry if you felt insecure in any way), but I have been long known to be one of the more sensitive, kind, and accepting members on this forum, especially over the past year or so. I remember a SG far different than this one, where any complaints about "hurt feelings" would have resulted in mockery, a slap or a ban, and these are very different times.

I would have responded earlier but was on a weekend away with family/boyfriend and didn't have the time.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
How this became the World Congress for the Silent Voices of Those Who Did Not Win the Vertical Genetic Lottery, I do not know. Girls, you need to not take things so seriously or personally. What I took away from the comment was that the shorter people looked dumpy, not that shorter people are abhorrent anomalies.

I'm not the longest stalk in the bunch, nor am I the shortest. People always tell me that I look taller than my height because I have a thing called discipline. Shorter girls, work on that. And at least us shorter folk don't typically end up looking like linebackers should willpower go to shit a la Karlie, Taylor, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
First, I'm not trying to wax poetic about how beautiful all tall women are, or how ugly all short women are. I'd be a damn hypocrite if I did, because I'm minimally above average height, and about one standard deviation below FT for example. But, if you're on a forum about high fashion models, and on a thread about how models are somehow "superior" at least aesthetically, as this thread suggests, height obviously comes into play. Of all threads to have this conversation on, this one seems the most paradoxical--height is almost always the most noticeably difference between the posted models and their "real life" counter parts, especially when the "normal" people are not extremely overweight. Finally, I am sorry if you or anyone else was offended (and I really am sorry if you felt insecure in any way), but I have been long known to be one of the more sensitive, kind, and accepting members on this forum, especially over the past year or so. I remember a SG far different than this one, where any complaints about "hurt feelings" would have resulted in mockery, a slap or a ban, and these are very different times.

I would have responded earlier but was on a weekend away with family/boyfriend and didn't have the time.
Thank you for your response, @espressoenthusiast. My problem was not with the discussion about height and how it among other things makes models stand out from regular people, most often to the model's advantage. It was with how you expressed yourself and at first seemed to ignore people pointing out the bit that wasn't sitting right with them. I never assumed the worst and just wished for you to clear things out because your first message did come out a bit hurtful. I appreciate both you and @FashionThin elaborating your views on the matter and agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Not going to derail the thread any further but as one last thing I want to say to my fellow short SG members that in my and many others' eyes being short does not equal being less attractive or beautiful. It's a different kind of beauty from the HF ideals you can achieve but can be just lovely. Skinny suits all heights and takes the stumpiness away.

Some people just get SO offended here these days. I don't know how you all manage out there in the big bad world!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
I think I get what @espressoenthusiast is saying. On my worst posture day I am 5' 9 1/4" (175.5) in bare feet. Unless I am doing something athletic (llllol) I will not be caught dead outside my apartment without heels. My friends are all tall - not 5'6 "tall", like Lower East Side tall. I work literally all day with models who are considered short at 5'8, and if I catch them in flats I kill them and feed them to my dragon. A couple of the people I work with are "short" but tbh they are probably average height. When I am around a lot of short people, it's very weird but not in a bad snobbish way. It's just different from what I am used to, and you notice it. Someone brought up the race thing so maybe that is similar. If I was the only white girl in a club full of black football players I would notice that too. I wouldn't be angry or negative about it but I would have to be an idiot if I did not notice. I love being tall, I would never ever change it, but I don't really look down on anyone* for being short. I'm just happy that I'm not.

*hehe :sneaky:
FT I'd like to know where you are going casually in heels all the time and not getting stared at like you are an alien. Is it just where you live? Or your job? Or you just don't give a damn about the stares? Or there are so many models around that people don't care?
I love my stilettos but unfortunately it seems like there are less and less chances to wear them casually.

Reactions: 1 users
FT I'd like to know where you are going casually in heels all the time and not getting stared at like you are an alien. Is it just where you live? Or your job? Or you just don't give a damn about the stares? Or there are so many models around that people don't care?
I love my stilettos but unfortunately it seems like there are less and less chances to wear them casually.

Not always platforms or stilettos, sometimes boots with a lower heel like Chelseas etc. No I don't mind the stares but tbh I don't get many in the city. I would not say I "blend in" but in the LES / East Village area I am not a weird sight. When I go home to visit the family though, that's another story :lol:

In my neighborhoods I think what surprises people the most is I don't have a Euro or Russian accent.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’m shorter than I’d like and I see myself as an abhorred anomaly. No offense taken ;)

• Funny
Not always platforms or stilettos, sometimes boots with a lower heel like Chelseas etc. No I don't mind the stares but tbh I don't get many in the city. I would not say I "blend in" but in the LES / East Village area I am not a weird sight. When I go home to visit the family though, that's another story :lol:

In my neighborhoods I think what surprises people the most is I don't have a Euro or Russian accent.
I was born and raised in the lower east side and still live there, to think I might have passed you once. :luv:
Anyways, back on subject (sorry) look at this difference:
2B28B4F1-7891-41CC-9DCE-B9359F800E7E.jpeg