Models Falling

What do you think when you see a pro model fall in a major show?

• I don't feel bad for her at all, she's supposed to be a pro.

Votes: 31 10.6%
  • I feel a little bad, but at the same time it's not really acceptable.

Votes: 60 20.5%
  • It depends on whether I like her or not.

Votes: 109 37.2%
  • I feel really bad for her and hope she doesn't get in trouble.

Votes: 93 31.7%

• Total voters
I'd probably die of shame and embarrassment, crawl underneath the catwalk and stay there until next season :nervous:

I have a question for those in the business - does a model who faceplants the catwalk in one of her first shows even have a chance of getting booked again or will she be forever "the girl who fell"? Not talking about models who've already built themselves a reputation, of course, just newcomers.
(Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've always wondered if a fall could ruin a new girl's whole career as it's basically the biggest faux-pas that could happen.)

I can't speak for other brands, but Prada and Miu Miu sample shoes/bags/clothes are often poorly made, mainly because they are samples and not meant as an actual representation of what you're going to buy - it only resembles the final product outwardly. That's why the shoes are often so flimsy that they wobble and are so unstable that models fall in them. It's not so much that they can't walk in the heels - the heels aren't just made for hardcore walking. The actual designer shoes for manufactured for sale are often much sturdier, better arch and ankle support and made of stronger, higher quality materials.

Plus, they usually don't have grooves on their soles, and sometimes the soles are taped up so there's very little friction on the (often slippery) runway for smoother turns (from what I observed - not sure about other places).

being the center of the fashion world for half a minute and messing that brief moment up can't be anything but terminating a budding career.

I can't speak for other brands, but Prada and Miu Miu sample shoes/bags/clothes are often poorly made, mainly because they are samples and not meant as an actual representation of what you're going to buy - it only resembles the final product outwardly. That's why the shoes are often so flimsy that they wobble and are so unstable that models fall in them. It's not so much that they can't walk in the heels - the heels aren't just made for hardcore walking. The actual designer shoes for manufactured for sale are often much sturdier, better arch and ankle support and made of stronger, higher quality materials.

Plus, they usually don't have grooves on their soles, and sometimes the soles are taped up so there's very little friction on the (often slippery) runway for smoother turns (from what I observed - not sure about other places).

Huh, I never would've guessed that. I suppose it makes sense though, not to put the resources into doing a well-made shoe or bag until it receives acclaim on the runway... The more ya know!

What surprised me was the number of models who seems to laugh or throw their arms in the air and clap. I know it's human nature in a way to laugh at yourself but in this sort of situation where your career depends on it, I would have thought most girls would jump straight up, straight faced and carry on as if nothing had happened?

What surprised me was the number of models who seems to laugh or throw their arms in the air and clap.

stupid,stupid,that is making a terible thing much worse.

I know it's human nature in a way to laugh at yourself but in this sort of situation where your career depends on it, I would have thought most girls would jump straight up, straight faced and carry on as if nothing had happened?

yes,that is right way,but omg never fall,nevereveromg,nightmares :nervous:

Reactions: 1 user
I'd probably die of shame and embarrassment, crawl underneath the catwalk and stay there until next season :nervous:

I have a question for those in the business - does a model who faceplants the catwalk in one of her first shows even have a chance of getting booked again or will she be forever "the girl who fell"? Not talking about models who've already built themselves a reputation, of course, just newcomers.
(Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've always wondered if a fall could ruin a new girl's whole career as it's basically the biggest faux-pas that could happen.)

The model who fell THREE times at the Burberry show a few years back... haven't heard from her since :)

Reactions: 1 user
Oh my gosh, this thread is amazing! I mean, don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for all of those girls, but it shows that not even the models are perfect. It is sad at how it can ruin an entire career though. In some of those videos, you can just see their ankles all over the place... :nervous:

Some designers - Miccucia Prada and Donattela Versace for example (Alexander McQueen was, too, RIP) - are notoriously sadistic and make it hard for the girls on purpose.

It's a badge of honor to walk in those shows, and the designers know it. Also, among the models it's kinda a rite of passage/feather in their cap that they were able to do such difficult shows with grace (it's also very very good for their career to be able to do so.) A lot of models take pride in it.

A couple seasons ago (SS09) Miccucia had some insanely high heels in the collection and all the models had been "fitted" OK (which usually also means you get to try the shoes and walk in them.) But at the last minute Miccucia decided to make it even more challenging - and decided the models would wear little silk socks. This meant they had almost no traction inside the shoes. Several girls - even pros like Stam - stumbled, and 2 or 3 completely fell down.

There is a personal reason and business reason for this. The personal reason is that it gives Miccucia some sick pleasure at terrifying the models. The business reason is that it gives her an excuse to freak out and bitch to the girls and their agencies about them fucking up, not being professional etc etc, and get the talent fees reduced (or in some cases totally eliminated.) If you fall in a big show like that, you are not going to get paid. And that's the best possible outcome. The worst outcome is that you don't get booked for other shows, either.

It's fucked up but there you have it.

I know this is an old quote but I just found it, Abbey Lee talking about shoes in 2010:

As for turning down doing Alexander McQueen's show last season due to the shoes: "I'm hoping [the shoe heights are] going to come back down soon because . . . I mean, health and safety regulations have to come into play at some point."

I feel really bad for girls that this happens to - with some of the shoes that the models get put into, it really could happen to anyone, so I don't feel like I should judge.

Oh my gosh, this thread is amazing! I mean, don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for all of those girls, but it shows that not even the models are perfect. It is sad at how it can ruin an entire career though. In some of those videos, you can just see their ankles all over the place... :nervous:

why sad? if you cannot do your job,some one else can :nopity:

I feel really bad for girls that this happens to - with some of the shoes that the models get put into, it really could happen to anyone, so I don't feel like I should judge.

:rolleyes: if i fall and ruin clients show,i donot expect them to say,'oh its ok,it can happen,here is your money' :lol: :run:

I was at a show once where the model swung her arms so vigorously, the metal cuffs she was wearing flung off her wrists and landed in the middle of the runway.

:nervous:

It happened twice.

:nervous::run:

:rolleyes: if i fall and ruin clients show,i donot expect them to say,'oh its ok,it can happen,here is your money' :lol: :run:

Sorry - I know that kind of sounded stupid and cliché.:oops: I didn't mean to imply that there shouldn't be any ramifications (obviously there need to be) - just that personally I don't like to make fun since I've never done it before.

Reactions: 1 users
I know exactly what I'm doing if I ever fall, VIPs, take note..

tumblr_mgsoj8HK861qcmfado1_500.gif

:lol:

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how to keep pumps from falling off when you're wearing pantyhose? I'm terrified of them falling off and me falling flat on my face...