Models Falling

What do you think when you see a pro model fall in a major show?

• I don't feel bad for her at all, she's supposed to be a pro.

Votes: 31 10.6%
  • I feel a little bad, but at the same time it's not really acceptable.

Votes: 60 20.5%
  • It depends on whether I like her or not.

Votes: 109 37.2%
  • I feel really bad for her and hope she doesn't get in trouble.

Votes: 93 31.7%

• Total voters
I don't know anything about the shoes you have to wear in shows or the perspective of a model, but in some of these videos the shoes seem to be insanely hard to walk in. Do you think it's the models fault 100% of the time? Or do you think sometimes the client should have chosen shoes that were tolerable to walk in so the model, and therefore the product, are presented well?

I don't know anything about the shoes you have to wear in shows or the perspective of a model, but in some of these videos the shoes seem to be insanely hard to walk in. Do you think it's the models fault 100% of the time? Or do you think sometimes the client should have chosen shoes that were tolerable to walk in so the model, and therefore the product, are presented well?

Some designers - Miccucia Prada and Donattela Versace for example (Alexander McQueen was, too, RIP) - are notoriously sadistic and make it hard for the girls on purpose.

It's a badge of honor to walk in those shows, and the designers know it. Also, among the models it's kinda a rite of passage/feather in their cap that they were able to do such difficult shows with grace (it's also very very good for their career to be able to do so.) A lot of models take pride in it.

A couple seasons ago (SS09) Miccucia had some insanely high heels in the collection and all the models had been "fitted" OK (which usually also means you get to try the shoes and walk in them.) But at the last minute Miccucia decided to make it even more challenging - and decided the models would wear little silk socks. This meant they had almost no traction inside the shoes. Several girls - even pros like Stam - stumbled, and 2 or 3 completely fell down.

There is a personal reason and business reason for this. The personal reason is that it gives Miccucia some sick pleasure at terrifying the models. The business reason is that it gives her an excuse to freak out and bitch to the girls and their agencies about them fucking up, not being professional etc etc, and get the talent fees reduced (or in some cases totally eliminated.) If you fall in a big show like that, you are not going to get paid. And that's the best possible outcome. The worst outcome is that you don't get booked for other shows, either.

It's fucked up but there you have it.

boohoo

A couple seasons ago (SS09) Miccucia had some insanely high heels in the collection and all the models had been "fitted" OK (which usually also means you get to try the shoes and walk in them.) But at the last minute Miccucia decided to make it even more challenging - and decided the models would wear little silk socks. This meant they had almost no traction inside the shoes. Several girls - even pros like Stam - stumbled, and 2 or 3 completely fell down.

I work this show & some models were crying backstage before it bc they were so scared.

But lets also to see other side, most of us did very well, only a few stumbled or fell. I don't pity for them really bc if they didn't think they could, they should have not walked. Miccucia can easy replace them.

I work this show & some models were crying backstage before it bc they were so scared.

But lets also to see other side, most of us did very well, only a few stumbled or fell. I don't pity for them really bc if they didn't think they could, they should have not walked. Miccucia can easy replace them.

oh god i worked with a model who had done that and she said it was the scariest thing she had ever had to do. and this was before i had done a runway show so after that i was forever terrified. im very grateful to my mother taking me to ballet for like 15 years so my balance is pretty good. but sometimes balance doesnt even mean a thing... i did a show where the shoes were stilettos... but i dont know how on earth they made them... you basically couldnt walk because the sole would bend and buckle under your foot (maybe im just too fat ;) ) haha, but yeah so were all walking like idiots trying to tip-toe, in heels that are threatening to snap. ick

my favorite fall of all time is Stammy's fall in Chloe a few years ago

honestly do not like the bitch so I wish she'd broken her nose, but that's another story :twisted:

OMG YES. hate, hate, hate her.. f*cking bitch. Long story. :smash:

Some designers - Miccucia Prada and Donattela Versace for example (Alexander McQueen was, too, RIP) - are notoriously sadistic and make it hard for the girls on purpose.

It's a badge of honor to walk in those shows, and the designers know it. Also, among the models it's kinda a rite of passage/feather in their cap that they were able to do such difficult shows with grace (it's also very very good for their career to be able to do so.) A lot of models take pride in it.

There is a personal reason and business reason for this. The personal reason is that it gives Miccucia some sick pleasure at terrifying the models. The business reason is that it gives her an excuse to freak out and bitch to the girls and their agencies about them fucking up, not being professional etc etc, and get the talent fees reduced (or in some cases totally eliminated.) If you fall in a big show like that, you are not going to get paid. And that's the best possible outcome. The worst outcome is that you don't get booked for other shows, either.

It's fucked up but there you have it.

OMG all sooooo true. I was a model before I was a booker, it's par for the course with quite a few of them.

oh god i worked with a model who had done that and she said it was the scariest thing she had ever had to do. and this was before i had done a runway show so after that i was forever terrified.

The advice I give models is this: if something changes backstage at the last minute and you think it's going to cause a major problem CALL MY CELL RIGHT F*KING NOW!!! I might be able to rush back there and fix it, or someone else from the agency if I'm not there. But so many models are too afraid to "make waves" so they just smile suck it up and try to walk anyway. This is how you end up humiliated and out of work!!

im very grateful to my mother taking me to ballet for like 15 years so my balance is pretty good.

Yes!!! Two things we love to see at my agency when a girl submits: ballet and gymnastics - esp. ballet.

but sometimes balance doesnt even mean a thing... i did a show where the shoes were stilettos... but i dont know how on earth they made them... you basically couldnt walk because the sole would bend and buckle under your foot (maybe im just too fat ;) ) haha, but yeah so were all walking like idiots trying to tip-toe, in heels that are threatening to snap. ick

Best advice I got when I was starting out as a model was to wear difficult sky-high heels & platforms ALL THE TIME. Almost literally - never, ever wear flats!! Put gel cushions inside them at all the pain points (so you don't rip your feet all to hell) and wear them from morning to night. Push yourself - make it as hard as possible: slippery socks, rough & slippery surfaces, barefoot with silicone on the insole, etc.. practice your craziest struts, walks, etc. Keep upping the ante with more and more difficult shoes. Go totally crazy - (our agency closet has more than enough to choose from.) You'll fall and stumble a lot. You might even hurt yourself a little. Get it out of your system because you can never fall in a show.

I run a development board now, and do the same thing with all my new faces. They think I am Crazy Cruella at first - but then they all thank me because they can punch out their fiercest walks in 7" platforms... 2 sizes too small .. on wet ice .. blindfolded... backwards.. while being shot at*!! haha :cool:

* - and while laughing at inferior girls from other agencies who fall on their dumb fat asses in major shows!

The advice I give models is this: if something changes backstage at the last minute and you think it's going to cause a major problem CALL MY CELL RIGHT F*KING NOW!!! I might be able to rush back there and fix it, or someone else from the agency if I'm not there. But so many models are too afraid to "make waves" so they just smile suck it up and try to walk anyway. This is how you end up humiliated and out of work!!

Yes!!! Two things we love to see at my agency when a girl submits: ballet and gymnastics - esp. ballet.

Best advice I got when I was starting out as a model was to wear difficult sky-high heels & platforms ALL THE TIME. Almost literally - never, ever wear flats!! Put gel cushions inside them at all the pain points (so you don't rip your feet all to hell) and wear them from morning to night. Push yourself - make it as hard as possible: slippery socks, rough & slippery surfaces, barefoot with silicone on the insole, etc.. practice your craziest struts, walks, etc. Keep upping the ante with more and more difficult shoes. Go totally crazy - (our agency closet has more than enough to choose from.) You'll fall and stumble a lot. You might even hurt yourself a little. Get it out of your system because you can never fall in a show.

I run a development board now, and do the same thing with all my new faces. They think I am Crazy Cruella at first - but then they all thank me because they can punch out their fiercest walks in 7" platforms... 2 sizes too small .. on wet ice .. blindfolded... backwards.. while being shot at*!! haha :cool:

* - and while laughing at inferior girls from other agencies who fall on their dumb fat asses in major shows!

hahahaha, all of this post = :luv:
yep ive done a show in size 4 (UK) and im a 6. not painful in the slightest.....

Reactions: 1 user
Omg, now that's what I call falling, big time :wtf: Poor girl.
tumblr_m0rc505Pbh1qkersao1_500.jpg

My mother used to make me do this because she wanted me to look elegant and thin - i can now run in stilettos but the heels ruined and bulked my calves so now I have to always wear flats and need physio :/

Yup, she got up really quickly and was very professional about it considering it was only her first full season. Jac was a good gurl and I miss her fierce walk on the runways.

Miss her? :confused: She's still very very busy - working a ton.

Reactions: 1 user