Model traits / characteristics - how to *be* a model

Thinning

Runt
May 13, 2014
Southern Hemisphere
Apologies if there has been a thread on this before, or if it's a bit of a weird topic.

I am currently trying to move to a point where I can model full time. I've met with a couple of international agents and have had success, one of them told me to lose a bit and then he wants to meet with me again in a few months and if my measurements are good he wants to send me overseas.

Obviously I know that models must be thin and have good skin (another thing I'm trying desperately to settle) etc, but I was wondering;

What are some things that you notice about models that make them seem so perfect? What are those traits or characteristics that set them apart from just a pretty girl?

I'm guessing that some of these things come over time, but I'm interested to know what the SG community has to say about their favourite models / models in general, especially at this point when I'm trying to transition to doing it full time (and am looking for inspiration) :)

Confidence would surely be a trait of paramount importance for modeling, however hard to develop when first starting out. Might be one of those jobs where it's necessary to fake the confidence until you actually have it, but I can't imagine anyone doing a good job at modeling and giving the photog the shots needed if they are nervous, scared, tense, and awkward.

Confidence would surely be a trait of paramount importance for modeling, however hard to develop when first starting out. Might be one of those jobs where it's necessary to fake the confidence until you actually have it, but I can't imagine anyone doing a good job at modeling and giving the photog the shots needed if they are nervous, scared, tense, and awkward.
That's true, I don't ever think I've seen a photo (or very very rarely see one) where a model looks un-confident.

Don't bitch and complain.
That's true of any job though, there are people at my work who always bitch about having to do this and that, and I just think, well, no one is forcing you to be here just leave if you hate it so much lol

Enjoy the process, be confident, be friendly, smile, don't be too trusting but don't be cold.

Tall, skinny, with good skin. I don't think that there are any other common traits that divide successful models from those who are not (apart from obvious things like being dedicated to their work, confidence, showing up on time, etc- but that's a key to every successful career).
Most successful models have something about them that draws attention- but again, it's more of a something you feel, and less of a physical trait.

I feel like it's also a bit of luck- different looks are in demand in different years. Brazilian models with a more "sexy", tanned look, Slavic models with blonde hair, fair skin and delicate features, androgynous models… A lot of looks that would never appear on runways a decade ago are now everywhere. While modeling used to have a lot to do with being classically beautiful, there are a lot of models now who could not even be called pretty, but have unique, strong, interesting features which make them good at modeling.

-Don't be ungrateful.

-Don't bitch/moan/whine - what makes you so special to get special treatment? There is always going to be another girl ready to snap up your place.

-RESPECT your agent and have a good relationship with them. This is key.

-Don't be in it for the free stuff. Modeling has its perks but there are so many out there who get greedy and only want the free goods. Be gracious about it but if you're in this business for the perks, you are in the wrong industry.

-Don't hate on the Russian (or actually any Eastern-European) models. So many of these American models bitch about them but honestly, they are the most hard-working ones. It's in the blood.

-Be determined. Get ready for 1am phonecalls and 2am castings. Again, don't EVER whine or bitch. Would you rather have a boring 9-5 or be fitted for a vintage Gaultier piece at 2am in the morning? I know which one I would choose...

-Get ready to be offended. People will make remarks about you, your body etc. Don't take it personally. Take their advice and don't retaliate: shut them up by giving them the results.

-Be nice to everyone - backstage crew, make-up, hair etc. This reflects well on you, the industry is very small and it will be in your favour.

-Good posture, respect people and treat others how you would like to be treated.

Most of all, good luck.

Get a phone with an e-mail plan.

I've run into trouble a few times because I wasn't at home and couldn't check my e-mail.

Look-wise, for me it's a VERY tall girl (5'10-5'11, I feel like a midget at 5'9), walks in heels without trouble, wears heels to the casting (doesn't change into them once she gets there), can turn the basic model uniform into a great outfit, can dance (seems weird but this helps with having "fluid" movements in real life).

All I can think of at this moment.