Model Personality?

insipidiana

Worker Bee
Aug 18, 2021
US
Hi all, firstly, I'd like to apologize if this thread has been posted before, but I haven't seen it.

I just had my first meeting with a scout, and he told me that I needed to work on my personality more. I completely agree with this statement as I tend to mute my personality upon first meeting someone, but I'm not exactly sure what's wanted.
I don't want to come off as too excited or annoying, but I also don't want to be boring and easily forgotten.

Should I make it like a conversation, asking them questions as well? Or just treat the meeting like it's an interview and answer the questions with my own answers & elaborate a bit? Are they looking for somebody with a lot of different passions or just a few that mean a lot to me? I can adapt to any personality, but coming up with my own and being liked is a bit harder.

Any tips from scouts or models who have been signed to big agencies would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I am not a model scout but I think what they mean is more of a personal brand/image. As a new model you're mainly just going to be doing what you're told and won't be talking much other than "hello" and "thank you", so it's more about the hint of a personality you give through your personal style, the way you carry yourself, and your hobbies. I guess a personality/interests can be faked, but confidence is the part you should practice. If you mentally approach a meeting as "I've already got this, this is no big deal" you can focus more on actually having a real, not forced/staged conversation and then showing your personality becomes more natural, as opposed to "omg what should I say to convince them I am not boring." Your first impression is how you look though- if you show some personal style or dress in an interesting way (within whatever limits they give you obviously) they will want to get to know you more.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I am not a model scout but I think what they mean is more of a personal brand/image. As a new model you're mainly just going to be doing what you're told and won't be talking much other than "hello" and "thank you", so it's more about the hint of a personality you give through your personal style, the way you carry yourself, and your hobbies. I guess a personality/interests can be faked, but confidence is the part you should practice. If you mentally approach a meeting as "I've already got this, this is no big deal" you can focus more on actually having a real, not forced/staged conversation and then showing your personality becomes more natural, as opposed to "omg what should I say to convince them I am not boring." Your first impression is how you look though- if you show some personal style or dress in an interesting way (within whatever limits they give you obviously) they will want to get to know you more.
Thank you so much! I’m just not sure how to show my personal style with a bare face, plain tee, and jeans 😂
But, your tip about confidence is very helpful. I just really don’t want to be forgotten (but who does?)

I’m just not sure how to show my personal style with a bare face, plain tee, and jeans 😂
Different colors of the tees/jeans, what jacket you wear, what shoes you wear, how you accessorize, how you do your hair.. shouldn’t be anything distracting of course, and it should all be stuff you can take off if needed once it’s time to take polaroids

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I was waiting to read replies when I saw this question because I'm very curious too. I completely agree with you're answer though! I think a lot of "personality" in modeling is conveyed through personal style and body language which makes sense in an industry where fashion is THE language. Obviously, the most room for self-expression is in street style, but even if I immediately have to "strip down" for a casting or job, the little details matter too. I can pay attention to tailoring, shoes, hair, jewelry, and even perfume (keeping it toned done of course). At the end of the day, it's easy to just be a dumb mannequin. But personality, to me I guess, is the energy a model brings onset beyond being just a pretty face with pose-able limbs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Different colors of the tees/jeans, what jacket you wear, what shoes you wear, how you accessorize, how you do your hair.. shouldn’t be anything distracting of course, and it should all be stuff you can take off if needed once it’s time to take polaroids
You’re so right, I don’t know how I didn’t think of that at all. Brain fart lol, thank you again