Mixing gold and silver jewelry?

• Thread starter glitter_starships
  • Start date
G

glitter_starships

I've seen this trend before: mixing gold and silver jewelry. I personally don't like it. I think it looks wrong, sloppy, and clashes. I do have a necklace, though, made out of tiny thin little chains knotted together. Half the chains are gold and the other half are silver. I like that. But other wise, no. Opinions?

Funny, I used to think the same thing until I started collecting a few pieces of jewelry with both silver and gold in them. I have a watchband that has both and a rather expensive necklace too, purchased several years ago. It is so pretty and since then I've noticed how nice this looks together.

I still would probably not mix gold jewelry with silver, unless complimenting a mixed piece. Think I just prefer one color or honestly don't think of mixing them.

I just remembered I purchased a stack of 5 skinny rings (sterling silver and real gold--not quite 14k). They look great together so who knows, you may change your mind someday.

I totally agree- jewelry that is made of both gold and silver generally looks nice but mixing your own separate jewelry looks terrible.

The rule also applies to things other than jewelry-like, if you are wearing a gold bracelet, not only can you not wear silver earrings but you can't wear a belt with a silver buckle, a purse with a silver handle/clasp, etc.

Ive seen a few stella mcartney dresses i the past with silver and gold prints that were super cute, so i could justify wearing either silver or gold with it. And it almost always looks good combined on a piece of jewelry, too. But when someone trys to wear seperate gold and seprate siler pieces together, it usually looks messy and sloppy. :confused :

I quite like the look of this but I've heard that gold has a negative effect on silver (or maybe it's the other way around I'm not sure) in that it tarnishes it quite badly. I was always taught to store my gold and silver jewellery separately..

I don't know if there's any truth to that though, it could just be an old wives tales

I think anything goes with trends these days, As long as you don't over do it. Personally I mix gold and silver.. but I use more silver in the winter and more gold in the summer :)

I think anything goes with trends these days, As long as you don't over do it. Personally I mix gold and silver.. but I use more silver in the winter and more gold in the summer :)

absolutely the same for me, gold just seems more summery! :)

Funny. I am the opposite! I wear more silver in the summer and gold in the winter.

I mostly wear gold because my mother gave me a lot of her jewlery. But I do have some silver things I like to wear and so I mix silver and gold. But I try to not overdo it.

I never liked the idea of it until I noticed my aunt just rocking it. I admire her so much so I guess now I like it :)

I mostly stick to silver. I really don't like wearing gold and silver together. The only exception is when I wear my necklace which has both but if I'm not wearing it, silver all the way.

I think it looks okay if you're wearing a lot of jewelry, so it looks like a deliberate mix in a (good) trashy way. Otherwise it just looks mismatched and sloppy.

I think it's fine, providing they're simple, classic and petite pieces. I wear a silver Michael Kors watch, a platinum and black Tresor Paris bracelet and a silver ring with a black diamond everyday, but I'm buying a gold Helen Ficalora necklace. You'd best believe I'll be wearing them together!

I really think it depends on the specific outfit etc. Sometimes it looks really terrible, other times okay.. even good :)

OK, here´s my humble opinion (I´m not a stylist, so...)

Silver is a cold colour and goes best with other cold colours such as blue, white, grey, black (black is always neutral), also green and turquoise.
Gold is a warm colour that goes best with red, brown, violet and other warm colours (and with blue- gold & blue looks kind of "royal")

So I don´t really know any good reason why to mix them both.
But again, that´s just theory, IRL it may look good.

I like mixing different coloured rings: sterling silver, gold, rose gold, etc...when they are thin and you just stack them. But I'm not too sure about it if you have full out earrings plus bracelets plus necklaces plus rings. Seems like a bit much (I'm not really a fan of piled on jewelry anyways).